How would you rank the Yankees starting five? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How would you rank the Yankees starting five?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby PresHabib » Sat Aug 30, 2003 3:09 pm

Well...first, i hate the yankees. But I at least acknowledge that they are a great team.

If you're gonna say that Mussina has questionable post season nerve,you have to give some numbers to back it up, cuz without the numbers that doesnt make sense.

I won't sit here and say Pettitte is worthy of the moniquer of staff ace...but he's better than you give him credit for. He's a very viable number 2 starter. And how does somebody benefit from pitching in Yankee Stadium? Its like 6 feet down the right field line. There is nothing about yankee stadium that gives pitchers a decided advantage.

Clemens, though aging hasnt really slowed down, hes still up in the American League strikeout lead and has been fine, though Chicago did light him up in his last start.

Wells..well he sucks. So does contreras...Contreras will either kill you or let you kill him.

They may not be what they were 4 years ago, but I don't think we can really say that the yankee staff is bad.

And by the way, I feel downright FILTHY for having just defended the yankees.

GO SOX GO SOX GO SOX GO SOX GO SOX GO SOX GO SOX
Rest in peace Mitch Hedberg. I name my fantasy team "Buoyancy of Citrus", in your honor.
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Aug 30, 2003 5:43 pm

JohnnyA wrote:YANKEES HAVE PROBLEMS! AND WILL HAVE EVEN MORE PROBLEMS IN THE POSTSEASON!

Wait and see ... just like last year ... only worse.

Jon

The Yankees do have problems. I never said that they didn't. I was referring to your comments about striking fear. Every team has question marks past #3 in the rotation.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:13 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
JohnnyA wrote:YANKEES HAVE PROBLEMS! AND WILL HAVE EVEN MORE PROBLEMS IN THE POSTSEASON!

Jon

The Yankees do have problems. I never said that they didn't. I was referring to your comments about striking fear. Every team has question marks past #3 in the rotation.

Except for maybe Oakland when they were all healthy.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:23 pm

JohnnyA wrote:Lots of Yanks fans here .... he says as Pettitte gets tanned in the first ...

Mussina - Great pitcher ... question mark over post season nerve maybe?

Question mark? Either you dont have access to Mussinas numbers, or you live in a cave? I suggest you look up Mooses numbers. Cant ask for much better.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby blankman » Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:28 pm

Anonymous wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:

Jon

Except for maybe Oakland when they were all healthy.

But the thing is what it is now. You could say the same thing with the Yankees when Wells was healthy and pitching very well earlier on, but being healthy earlier in the season does you no good now if you're hurt. The reality is that the A's do have problems and now Harden is a question mark. IMO with Mulder out, the Yankees have the best staff and definately the deepest staff in the AL.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Aug 31, 2003 12:16 am

Anonymous wrote:Except for maybe Oakland when they were all healthy.

Zito, Hudson, Mulder, and question marks.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby JohnnyA » Sat Sep 06, 2003 2:32 pm

JohnnyA wrote:If Pettitte is your second best pitcher ... you've got problems. Yankees will not win the world series with that rotation. Add into the equation a dodgy bullpen ...

Yankees have become basically all hitting no pitching. That rarely succeeds in the offseason. As the season has wore on, their shortcommings have become apparent. Clemens and Wells will get no better, and Contreras and Weaver aren't likey to strike the fear of God into hitters.

How about a reprise of this thread ...

Like I said ... Yankees pitching is tired, old and very second rate right now.
JohnnyA
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Sep 06, 2003 2:53 pm

JohnnyA wrote:Like I said ... Yankees pitching is tired, old and very second rate right now.

If you are gonna bring this thread up every time the Yanks get smoked by the best offensive team in the league, then you have too much time on your hands. Please tell me who else's staff has a 17 game winner as their #2 or 3 pitcher. Other staffs might have better #1's but the Yanks staff is deep. Based on your description, I guess that there are no 1st rate staffs in the league.

Which team is yours? Let's see that staff.
Lofunzo

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers