How would you rank the Yankees starting five? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How would you rank the Yankees starting five?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby PresHabib » Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:35 pm

blankman wrote:heh..Pres..I was writing pretty much the same thing...you just posted first. I guess great minds do think alike- also see the pitching is watered down issue :-D

Haha, damn right. The only thing wrong with your great mind is that yankees logo under your name, lol.

Seriously though, i was thinking the same thing while I read your first post, and then i saw that YOU beat ME posting the "great minds think alike thing". I really dont understand that claim that Pettitte isnt good enough though..i mean, if numbers dont say it, post season victory most certainly does. It seems to be a pretty silly claim on his part that the yankees staff isn't good enough.

Dont snub the Sox staff though! Pedro is obviously our best, d-lowe is a good second..but timmy wakefield is underappreciated hes very good but when he sucks, he REALLY sucks, thus the high era...suppan is good among other fourth starters and burkett is good as long as Grady Little doesnt let him pitch into the seventh. You would be surprised at how much some of his pitches move. For some reason (QUESTEC) he gets really squeezed and is forced to throw the ball over the middle of the plate and gets slammed. he may be Questecs greatest victim.....

haha, sorry dude, just stickin up for my boys...what an interesting stretch run we're set up for though, huh?! ;-D
Rest in peace Mitch Hedberg. I name my fantasy team "Buoyancy of Citrus", in your honor.
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:36 pm

Ajax wrote:
Hingie wrote:what about the 2001 WS?

???

Mussina started 2 of the 7 games against the D-backs.

Hingie obviously has no idea what he's talking about with Mussina in the PO. Maybe for some reason he's thinking about '96-'00 and doesn't realize that Mussina wasn't on the team yet. :-? Just a guess
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Aug 30, 2003 12:01 am

Hingie wrote:how come moose never pitches in the post-season?

Surely you remember 97 when Moose dominated Seattle 2 games in alds? Moose has 11 games in post, with a stellar 2.93 era.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 296)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Aug 30, 2003 12:05 am

JohnnyA wrote:If Pettitte is your second best pitcher ... you've got problems. Yankees will not win the world series with that rotation.
Yankees have become basically all hitting no pitching. That rarely succeeds in the offseason.

What? No pitching? LOL NYY ranks 3rd in al in era. You know there was a team called the Angels that won with guys like Appier, Lackey, Washburn.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 296)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby PresHabib » Sat Aug 30, 2003 12:23 am

HOOTIE wrote:What? No pitching? LOL NYY ranks 3rd in al in era. You know there was a team called the Angels that won with guys like Appier, Lackey, Washburn.

Touche' on that one. Pitching wins championships, but the Angels proved last year you dont need to have 5 cy young candidates to do it. Washburn and Lackey were just way on top of their games at the end of last year and thats all ya need. They pulled the "Jean-Sebastian Guigerre" (anaheim mighty ducks goalie, remember?) and got REAAAAL hot at the right time.
Rest in peace Mitch Hedberg. I name my fantasy team "Buoyancy of Citrus", in your honor.
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby PresHabib » Sat Aug 30, 2003 12:24 am

HOOTIE wrote:What? No pitching? LOL NYY ranks 3rd in al in era. You know there was a team called the Angels that won with guys like Appier, Lackey, Washburn.

Touche' on that one. Pitching wins championships, but the Angels proved last year you dont need to have 5 cy young candidates to do it. Washburn and Lackey were just way on top of their games at the end of last year and thats all ya need. They pulled the "Jean-Sebastian Guigerre" (anaheim mighty ducks goalie, remember?) and got REAAAAL hot at the right time.
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DK » Sat Aug 30, 2003 8:01 am

well, since i think many have forgotten the original question, here is my ranking:

1-Moose, has been having a great year
2-Clemens, fantasy-wise those K's are golden
3-Pettitte, after the all-star break he's untouchable (just like last season)
4-Contreras, had a rough night last night but has show us his skill when he starts
5-Wells, has had back problems but has Maddux-esque control

however, it is not the yankees starters that will lose it for them, it is the bullpen and the overworking joe torre puts on them. Mo lost it in 2001, and chances are all these new additions are tweaking the pitching chemistry and they'll lose it again. that is a formidable rotation, but the 'pen is gonna take them down.

I am a mets fan who does not root for the yankees, but all this is in my honest opinion. if i was a yankees fan i would say the same.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby PresHabib » Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:50 am

DK wrote: are all these new additions are tweaking the pitching chemistry and they'll lose it again. that is a formidable rotation, but the 'pen is gonna take them down

The only problem I have with that is that alot of other teams have done the same thing, tweaking the chemistry and bringing in new guys. Boston brought in almost an ENTIRELY new bullpen, Kansas City has used i think..14 different starting pitchers this year. Chicago has this rooke Cotts in the rotation and brought in Alomar and Everett. I guess Oakland and Seattle didn't really do much, but I know that in Seattle that actually upset alot of people so that certainly doesn't help. I don't think we can really cite that chemistry is a problem until we start seeing problems with it. I know that this Boston team has better chemistry than any ive ever seen in my 11 years as a fan, despite all the addittions, especially Kevin Millar. he may be the single greatest addittion this team has made under Theo Epstein, Boston LOVES him.

Although, I do think I have to agree with that something may be up with Yankee chemistry. This David Wells/Mel Stottlemeyer thing certainly hasn't helped them, plus it shows how fat lazy and selfish David Wells really is. Plus, Steinbrenner, according to sources close to the Yankees, is trying to do all this crap to get Joe Torre out of New York. ...joe torre out of new york? why the hell would anybody want that? Plus, I think it will be interesting to see, if the yankees lose a couple big games down the stretch, i.e. lose 2 of 3 to boston or better, get swept, what kind of comments come out of New York.
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:00 am

JohnnyA wrote:Clemens and Wells will get no better, and Contreras and Weaver aren't likey to strike the fear of God into hitters.

Please tell me which teams have #4, 5, or 6 starters that "strike the fear of God into hitters". While I will be the first to admit that the staff has more questions than normal, I believe that you are being a little picky.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby JohnnyA » Sat Aug 30, 2003 1:59 pm

Lots of Yanks fans here .... he says as Pettitte gets tanned in the first ...

Mussina - Great pitcher ... question mark over post season nerve maybe?
Pettitte - Ordinary left hander who benefits from playing at Yankee stadium, and having a great offence behind him.
Clemens - Starting to wear done as the season goes on ... unreliable from here on in.
Wells - See Clemens ...
Contreras - Looks great one inning, very hittable the next.
Weaver - See Contreras

YANKEES HAVE PROBLEMS! AND WILL HAVE EVEN MORE PROBLEMS IN THE POSTSEASON!

Wait and see ... just like last year ... only worse.

Jon
JohnnyA
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers