How would you rank the Yankees starting five? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How would you rank the Yankees starting five?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Hingie » Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:03 pm

how come moose never pitches in the post-season?
"When I was a little boy, I wanted to be a baseball player and join the circus. With the Yankees, I've accomplised both."
Hingie
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:32 pm

Hingie wrote:how come moose never pitches in the post-season?

Huh? 8-o

For an example, in the 2001 Playoffs Mussina pitched brilliantly in the do or die Game 3 vs Oakland (they were down 2-0 in the best of 5 series). So, I don't know what you're talking about.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Hingie » Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:36 pm

what about the 2001 WS?
"When I was a little boy, I wanted to be a baseball player and join the circus. With the Yankees, I've accomplised both."
Hingie
College Coach
College Coach

Postby pkarr5000 » Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:45 pm

mussina easily
pettite
clemens
conteras
wells
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby PresHabib » Fri Aug 29, 2003 8:17 pm

I agree with those who rank them like this.

Mussina (no doubter, SUCH an underrated pitcher)
Pettitte
Clemens
Contreras
Wells

Brdmaverick, you actually rank Contreras second on that list? Man, talk about somebody who buys into all the hype and the flavor of the week!
Rest in peace Mitch Hedberg. I name my fantasy team "Buoyancy of Citrus", in your honor.
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby JohnnyA » Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:59 pm

If Pettitte is your second best pitcher ... you've got problems. Yankees will not win the world series with that rotation. Add into the equation a dodgy bullpen ...

Yankees have become basically all hitting no pitching. That rarely succeeds in the offseason. As the season has wore on, their shortcommings have become apparent. Clemens and Wells will get no better, and Contreras and Weaver aren't likey to strike the fear of God into hitters.
JohnnyA
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby PresHabib » Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:18 pm

I dont know man...i hate the yankees so I feel guilty saying this, but there is nothing wrong with ahving a quality guy like Pettite as your 2 pitcher, and hall of fame roger clemens who is in the top ten (top 5 maybe) in the AL in strikeouts. Contreras and Wells do not, as you say, strike the fear of god in anybody, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with a 1-2-3 punch of Moose pettitte and the rocket. I mean, when you put it THAT way, who CAN win the world series? The teams in contention number 2 starters are:
boston: derek lowe
oakland - tim hudson
seattle - freddy garcia
atlanta - mike hampton
LA - hideo nomo
I leave out the central contenders because there are just too many to get into, but none of their number two starters are any better than pettitte either. I mean, on that list, only hudson is better than pettitte, though Nomo too is having a fine year. Pettitte is much better than you think.

Plus...didnt that same exact rotation (minus contreras) win the last couple world series of the 90s and 2000? I hate to say it, but saying pettitte is not a good enough second starter is a gross underestimation.
Rest in peace Mitch Hedberg. I name my fantasy team "Buoyancy of Citrus", in your honor.
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby blankman » Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:24 pm

JohnnyA wrote:If Pettitte is your second best pitcher ... you've got problems. Yankees will not win the world series with that rotation. Add into the equation a dodgy bullpen ...

Yankees have become basically all hitting no pitching. That rarely succeeds in the offseason. As the season has wore on, their shortcommings have become apparent.

We'll see. BTW- the bullpen has had several recent additions, so to say they have a "dodgy bullpen" (not sure what it means, but I know its negative) is stupid. They have replaced Benitez with a trustworthy Nelson, and have added Gabe White and Felix Heredia.

Also, Pettite is better than anyone the M's can throw at you other than possibly Moyer and he's better than any Red Sox not-named Pedro, so to even say that Pettite is no good is also stupid. Other than the A's staff, I think the Yankees easily have the best starting pitching in the AL- Boston has Pedro, Lowe and then who? Wakefield? Seattle- Moyer, and then Piniero and Garcia, which is no match for the Yankees starters and any of Central teams has a lesser rotation.

Clemens and Wells will get no better, and Contreras and Weaver aren't likey to strike the fear of God into hitters.

And who does "strike the fear of God into hitters"? You took two players who are unlikely to even start in the PO and made that statement. Does any other team have a 5th or 6th starter that can "strike the fear of God into hitters"? Obviously not. Clemens and Wells are old, so duh they won't get better, but I'd much rather have one of them than whoever Boston's/Seattle's/Chicago's/KC's/Minnesota's 3rd or 4th starter is. Make sense?
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby blankman » Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:26 pm

heh..Pres..I was writing pretty much the same thing...you just posted first. I guess great minds do think alike- also see the pitching is watered down issue :-D
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Ajax » Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:28 pm

Hingie wrote:what about the 2001 WS?

???

Mussina started 2 of the 7 games against the D-backs.
Ajax
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers