Carlos Lee Rejects 4 Year/$48 Million Extension - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Carlos Lee Rejects 4 Year/$48 Million Extension

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Carlos Lee Rejects 4 Year/$48 Million Extension

Postby Scooter1027 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:21 am

I hand it to the Brewers -- they actually tried here. I didn't even expect them to offer this much. But Lee has rejected it, which, along with dropping 2 of 3 to the Pirates, pretty much dictates a deadline deal. Something to watch closely for those in AL only leagues (so far he's been linked to Minnesota and Chicago, amongst others).
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hybrid » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:42 am

That's to bad, I had hoped the team could keep him and form a really nice potential team in the next few years. If he isn't taking that type of deal then he obviously doesn't want to stay and is looking more for money, which in a way is sad.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Tiki Barber's Barber » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:50 am

Well atleast Brewer fans cannot complain about how the organization is cheap, and didn't attempt to keep Carlos. I hope the Brewers can bring in some nice talent in place of Lee.
Tiki Barber's Barber
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wrveres » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:52 am

It is certainly a fair deal, and props to Milwaukee for stepping up and making the offer if it is true. But I do not see why Lee should have to be loyal to Milwaukee. He has done his 7 years under the current system, including taking pennies on the dollar from Chicago, and now finished his arbitration. He has earned his right to go out into the free agent market to see what he can get.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 720)

Postby Scooter1027 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:57 am

wrveres wrote:It is certainly a fair deal, and props to Milwaukee for stepping up and making the offer if it is true. But I do not see why Lee should have to be loyal to Milwaukee. He has done his 7 years under the current system, including taking pennies on the dollar from Chicago, and now finished his arbitration. He has earned his right to go out into the free agent market to see what he can get.

I have a link for the the non-believers ;-)

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5822932

You're right on every level of course, I just wish it weren't so as a Brewers fan. He'll get more, probably 5 years/65-68 million or so, maybe more depending on how many teams up the bidding war. He's been saying he wants 5 years, and I don't think the Brewers wanted to go more than 4. Hopefully the Brewers can bring a nice package, and it's finally time to let the Corey Hart era begin.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby wrveres » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:06 am

Scooter1027 wrote:
wrveres wrote:It is certainly a fair deal, and props to Milwaukee for stepping up and making the offer if it is true. But I do not see why Lee should have to be loyal to Milwaukee. He has done his 7 years under the current system, including taking pennies on the dollar from Chicago, and now finished his arbitration. He has earned his right to go out into the free agent market to see what he can get.

I have a link for the the non-believers ;-)

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5822932

You're right on every level of course, I just wish it weren't so as a Brewers fan. He'll get more, probably 5 years/65-68 million or so, maybe more depending on how many teams up the bidding war. He's been saying he wants 5 years, and I don't think the Brewers wanted to go more than 4. Hopefully the Brewers can bring a nice package, and it's finally time to let the Corey Hart era begin.

I wasn't questioning you ..
I'll always question "major-league sources tell FOXSports.com." though .. :-) .. it is not uncommon to find out 6 months later that the offer was never even made, but that is besides the point.

Your figures look about right. He is still relatively young so I could easily see a team giving him 5 years.

thanks for the link ..
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 720)

Postby RynMan » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:15 am

Damn, that is a shame. Was hoping to see him back with the Brewers next season. I agree, I think they have to deal him at this point. I'd imagine the Angels would be major players here.....

It's Corey Hart time!
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Chip1010 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:34 am

Am I wrong to assume that no other team is going to come close to that? Yeah, he's good, but $12 million a year?
Chip1010
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:40 am

Chip1010 wrote:Am I wrong to assume that no other team is going to come close to that? Yeah, he's good, but $12 million a year?

Someone is going to pay it. If not $12m a year, they'll offer him a much longer contract with more overall cash. With how close all the divisions are this year, the FA market is going to be ridiculous.
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:21 am

tinfoilxtouch wrote:
Chip1010 wrote:Am I wrong to assume that no other team is going to come close to that? Yeah, he's good, but $12 million a year?

Someone is going to pay it. If not $12m a year, they'll offer him a much longer contract with more overall cash. With how close all the divisions are this year, the FA market is going to be ridiculous.

yeah. i can see him getting 5 years at $12-15 Million

...hell, look what Mags got with ?? about his knees...and i think i'd rather have Lee than Mags
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers