Joey Votto and Matt Kemp - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Joey Votto and Matt Kemp

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Joey Votto and Matt Kemp

Postby rmande09 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:59 pm

Anyone know much about these guys? I know very little about either guy but am very impressed by their breakouts this year. Here's what I got.

Votto is a Canadian. He's 22 and was VERY raw coming out of high school, moreso than American high schoolers. Seems to have big time pop and a good batting eye, but tons of Ks. Outside of his 2005 season and the second-half of '03, he has put up very good minor league numbers. Seems as though he's finally developing, as he has 19 homers, 55 (!!!) XBH, a .984 OPS, and his Ks are down and BBs are up. He's also hitting a very impressive .323. Hell, he's even swiped 17 bases at a 77% success rate. It seems as though he'll get a legit chance to win the job out of ST next season, and could be a mid-season call-up. He should be starting by 2008 at the latest. Just by looking at his numbers, he looks like he could be a .300-30-10 type of guy, which is good at 1B. Again, I know little about the guy; what's everyone elses opinion? Anyone know more about him?

Kemp seems like he was a BIG miss on top prospect lists. He's just 21. He posted great numbers in his first full season as a 19 year old at A (and some at A+). He followed that up with a MONSTER '05 at A+, hitting .306 with 27 homers, 52 XBH, 23 SB at 79%, a .569 slugging (!), and a .918 OPS. The one knock was his BB:K. His Ks weren't awful with his power (92), but he walked just 25 times in 400+ ABs. It is a concern, but most young guys have trouble with that at that age. How he ranked just 96th on BA's preseason list is beyond me. He answered his "snubbing" with a brilliant start to 2006, hitting .327 in 199 ABs at AA Jacksonville at 21. He had 7 homers, 24 XBH, 11 SB at 85%, .528 slugging, and a .930 OPS. The most impressive stat at Jacksonville: his much improved BB:K rate. He increased his BBs a ton, and was on pace to double 2005s BBs at 20. He had also cut down his Ks by about 20% to 38. And this somehow earned him a promotion to LA, which was an awful move in my opinion. The guy had shown he had improved a great deal where he needed to, but he had only been doing it for a couple months. He got there and MASHED. He kept his BB:K in check and the power, speed, and average was there. Of course, his performance regressed, and started to cool down at the end of June. He was clearly rushed. His July was awful, hitting just .200 with 1 XBH, 11 Ks, and 0 walks in 30 ABs. The Dodgers sent him down to Vegas where he continued to destroy minor league pitching. Last night was his first game without a hit at AAA. He's hitting .349 with a homer, 7 XBH, 3 steals at 100%, a .558 slugging and a .962 OPS. His BB:K remains improved at 4:9, though I still feel that he could afford the BB more, K less. The kid is a stud. At 6'4", 230, and with his speed, it seems like he could be the next big-time fantasy player.

With the logjam of OFs at LA (Cruz, Lofton, Repko, Ethier, Drew), it's unlikely he'll get called up until September. Will he get a lot of time in September? Do you think he'll start 2007 in AAA?

Sorry for the lon, long post. I know nothing on these guys outside of their stats and any info on these guys would be appreciated. Opinions and projections are more than welcome, as well.
C: Pierzynski
1B: Pujols
2B: Altuve
3B: Miggy
SS: HanRam
OF (x3): CarGo, M. Bourn, D. Jennings
UTIL (x2): E. Encarnacion, C. Hart
BN: Cuddyer, C. Ross, J. Montero

SP: Price, Gallardo, T. Hudson, Lester
RP: Chapman, Jansen, Rodney, Putz, Cishek, Bailey
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby houstonoilers » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:45 pm

Kemp has all 5 tools and power will never be an issue for him...ever. His bat speed is amazing, I think. I am in a Dynasty and snagged this kid. He, even though slumped after a HOT start, was beat out by Ethier for a position but Grady spoke very highly on this guy. I think you will see these kind of numbers from him for years. I am biased though cause I own him...lol

.280 100 rbi 30hr 80r 15-20 steals
houstonoilers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby hybrid » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:20 am

Kemp should pretty much be the starter in CF come next year. Lofton is only signed for 1 year and I doubt they bring him back for anything more then a UTIL role. Cruz also is in the same situation I believe and he can't play CF too well. That sets up a nice Ethier/Kemp/Drew OF for the Dodgers. Also I'm pretty sure he will be back up once the AAA season has ended and with the Dodgers losing every game ... they will have no reason not to give him good playing time.

I personally really like this kid and the adjustments he has made this year. Certain prospects all of a sudden just get it, and with the tools he has it's fun to watch him. Like has been said he has very good bat speed, close to Milledges and he surprises you with how well he runs for being a big guy. He also doesn't lack much of anything for raw power, just a great package that is coming together.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby SwisherSweet » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:41 pm

I own Votto in a keeper....With the Reds signing Hatterberg for an extension, this hurts Votto's chance to play next year
SwisherSweet
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Minor League & College Baseball