My First Sig - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Fantasy Logo & Avatar Requests

My First Sig

Moderators: deluxe_247, kimchi_chigae, Mookie4ever, Baseball Moderators

My First Sig

Postby luckygehrig » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:45 pm

Pretty lame and basic I know. I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on how to improve it? I want to spice up the background, but don't have the knowledge. Also, how does my cut of Gehrig look? I didn't realize it was so hard to get a player out of a pre-existing image. Does it look alright or did I miss something somewhere? Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:56 pm

Hey, you're off to a fine start. First and foremost, keep it up.

A 'problem' (as I call it) that a lot of rookie designers run into is the feeling to need to include a player in their entirety into their sigs. As you can see, they turn out tiny. Now, maybe you specifically wanted his entire body in, but I recommend for the future trying different things.

For various backgrounds, try out http://www.good-tutorials.com and search through some effects and how to use various filters. You'll learn fast that by simply playing around you can figure out what does what, and what seems to work for you. You can search everything there, from text effects to image effects to what equates to background effects.

Beyond that, just keep it up. Practice is the best teacher, along with experimentation and doing things outside of your comfort zone.

The cutout looks good to me, but it's so small it's hard to judge. Though, as I said, I don't see anything wrong with it. Looks well done. What method did you use? Zoom with the erase tool?? Polyagonal lasso??
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby luckygehrig » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:05 pm

Thanks for the help. I thought about maybe just putting the top half in, but thought that the whole player would look better. Now that you mention it though, I think it would look a lot better with just a portion of the player in, and it would also help solve some of my problem of trying to fill up the rest of the sig. My method for the cut was putting a layer mask on with Full Opacity and brushing the parts that I didn't want until they were completely transparent. (I think I used the right terms there, but I have to admit, I'm pretty confused with all of the terms right now, so I could be wrong.) Thanks for the website, I'll definitely take a look at it here in just a minute.
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:53 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Hey, you're off to a fine start. First and foremost, keep it up.

A 'problem' (as I call it) that a lot of rookie designers run into is the feeling to need to include a player in their entirety into their sigs. As you can see, they turn out tiny. Now, maybe you specifically wanted his entire body in, but I recommend for the future trying different things.

For various backgrounds, try out http://www.good-tutorials.com and search through some effects and how to use various filters. You'll learn fast that by simply playing around you can figure out what does what, and what seems to work for you. You can search everything there, from text effects to image effects to what equates to background effects.

Beyond that, just keep it up. Practice is the best teacher, along with experimentation and doing things outside of your comfort zone.

The cutout looks good to me, but it's so small it's hard to judge. Though, as I said, I don't see anything wrong with it. Looks well done. What method did you use? Zoom with the erase tool?? Polyagonal lasso??

hort's definitely right on with this one...good job tho and chargers has posted some TERRIFIC tutorials right here on the cafe. watch a few of those and you'll see the drastic changes! ;-D good job though!

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby luckygehrig » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:04 am

Thanks for the feedback guys. This gets addicting after awhile. I did some more work on it tonight and this is what I have so far. From what I can tell the Gehrig on the right, his cut could use a little work on the back of his neck and in the tufts of hair up top and in front. Also, can you guys read the new font OK? I tried to make it look kind of like the Yankees scripted logo and this is what I came up with. I added some more to the background. I really like the semi-transparent NY in the background and I think the waves don't look too bad. Am I overestimating my work here? Thanks again for your help.

Edit: Oh yeah, one more question. What format should I save a copy of this in so that I don't have to flatten it out and lose the seperation between the layers? The GIMP doesn't really have a preset format it likes to save in, so it kind of leaves you on your own. My biggest reason for asking, is now that I flattened and saved this image as a JPEG, I don't think I can go back and edit it as easily or do any touchups (such as improving the cut, or moving things around).
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:00 pm

luckygehrig wrote:Thanks for the feedback guys. This gets addicting after awhile. I did some more work on it tonight and this is what I have so far. From what I can tell the Gehrig on the right, his cut could use a little work on the back of his neck and in the tufts of hair up top and in front. Also, can you guys read the new font OK? I tried to make it look kind of like the Yankees scripted logo and this is what I came up with. I added some more to the background. I really like the semi-transparent NY in the background and I think the waves don't look too bad. Am I overestimating my work here? Thanks again for your help.

Edit: Oh yeah, one more question. What format should I save a copy of this in so that I don't have to flatten it out and lose the seperation between the layers? The GIMP doesn't really have a preset format it likes to save in, so it kind of leaves you on your own. My biggest reason for asking, is now that I flattened and saved this image as a JPEG, I don't think I can go back and edit it as easily or do any touchups (such as improving the cut, or moving things around).

im pretty sure you cant with the gimp, but i could be wrong (actually, i think i might be) my suggestion is to get photoshop

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Fantasy Logo & Avatar Requests