Commish Question - Rule Interpretation - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Commish Question - Rule Interpretation

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby noseeum » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:26 pm

The Jury wrote:To me, "…when you put a guy currently on your roster on the DL" is good enough. This means that to qualify for a refund, the DL guy must be on your current roster, not picked up off waivers.

He picked him up, so he WAS on his roster, and THEN he put him on the DL.

I think this is such a minor issue it's not worth fighting about. Yippee, he found a loophole. Let him enjoy it as it's inconsequential.

Just give him the move and change the wording to "the player must have been already on your roster before yahoo places him on the DL". Of course, an owner can grab some guy who's been announced as hitting the DL but Yahoo hasn't placed him on DL yet. No big deal if that happens though.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cakewalk5 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:15 pm

It's ambiguous. I agree that you could stand your ground under the word "places," but if the move will not affect anything (nonkeeper league where Gagne's out for the season), why fight it and piss off a fraction of your league? Just let it go through and fix it.

Now if its a keeper league, fight it tooth and nail and put it to a league vote. In fact, you should put the move to a league vote. Then everyone's on the same page when it happens again.
cakewalk5
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:49 pm

Tough noogies for him. The rule is in plain black and white. Don't you love it when 1 out of 14 guys 'doesn't get' a rule, or 'interprets it differently' than, oh I don't know, the rest of the world??

Stand pat. Be strong. !+)
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)

Postby TonyCee » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:12 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:I would stand my ground. This right here covers you imo.

when you put a guy currently on your roster on the DL, you free up a roster spot.
You get your move when Yahoo! places the little red DL next to his name and you put him on the DL on your team, and pick someone up.

Gagne was not DLed this week, so I think you are fine to hold your ground. I would put a note into the rules this offseason about a move like this.

bigken117 wrote:Sorry. Most of you are wrong.

He is wrong both on the intent AND the wording of the rule.

Based on the intent of the rule, which is to not disadvantage teams whose players get hurt, he's in the wrong. He picked up an already-injured player.

Based on the wording of the rule, "You get your move when Yahoo! places the little red DL next to his name and you put him on the DL on your team, and pick someone up." he is in the wrong. Yahoo placed that little red DL next to his name ages ago. Now is too late to claim the extra move.

Luckily, I AM a lawyer.

Yeah but how long is too long? He doesn't say you get a week or 2 weeks or 2 months so I agree with:

Splendid61 wrote:Picking up Gagne counts as a 1 pick-up towards his 3 for the week. However, when he chooses to put Gagne on his DL, he is awarded a free pick-up.
TonyCee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby noseeum » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:26 pm

cakewalk5 wrote:It's ambiguous. I agree that you could stand your ground under the word "places," but if the move will not affect anything (nonkeeper league where Gagne's out for the season), why fight it and piss off a fraction of your league? Just let it go through and fix it.

Now if its a keeper league, fight it tooth and nail and put it to a league vote. In fact, you should put the move to a league vote. Then everyone's on the same page when it happens again.

We're talking about the number of transactions for the week, not year. Let it through and re-write, as the week is almost over anyway.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigken117 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:37 pm

I am not giving him a move back. The rule was designed to prevent someone from filling all their DL spots (we have 5) and getting all those moves back. If you want to pick up an already injured player, it has to count towards your quota for the week.

And FWIW, someone else picked up Foulke today, and to bust ths other guys chops, I posted a message saying once he put Foulke on his DL he could have his move back. :-D Everyone knows I'm playing though.

1337_dude wrote:Speaking to BigKen. How would this work in your league.

Say a guy trades for someone on the DL. Would they be able to place him on the DL and get a free move?

This has happened before, and the team receiving a DL player gets a move back. It's happened twice now. Because that player was already on a roster, and already on someone's DL. IMO DL'ing him shouldn't be a penalty. The league is fine with this, as nobody would trade for a DL player just to get a roster move intentionally when by the time trades processes, moves are reset.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby zevon » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:05 pm

I agree, no move refund.

"…when you put a guy currently on your roster on the DL, you free up a roster spot."

Just clarify for the future that picking a guy off the Free Agent/Waiver Wire who is already on the DL doesn't qualify you for a free move.
Hard to see too many people using 3 moves a week in a 14 team league with 5 DL spots each - can't be a whole lot available.
zevon
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby noseeum » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:15 pm

I don't really understand the rule anyway, btw.

Why not just change it to 4 and eliminate the rule? I'm sure that would be plenty, including injuries.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ukrneal » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:44 am

It's hard for me to gauge the intent of the rule and the discussions you have already had with the league.

Based on what you have written, it just isn't clear. However, I would not hesitate to make a decision either way if you have been consistent in your approach. I'd give the guy the opportunity to have his say (he'll feel better) and the league to have its say. Then you can make a decision (and the league should abide by it). I would not put it to a vote, but solicit people's thoughts/opinions. Make clear you will make a ruling (and not them). In a normal league, this works well. Then, you will want to alter your rules a bit or maybe have a statement about how any issues that come up will be handled in the future. That is, the process will be transparent to all.

This would be my approach.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers