Commish Question - Rule Interpretation - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Commish Question - Rule Interpretation

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Commish Question - Rule Interpretation

Postby bigken117 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:24 pm

So I am commish of a 14 team H2H league. Since half the league works at a computer with internet and half do not, there is a limit of 3 add/drops per week (to prevent one or two people from stripping the wire bare).
However when a guy goes on the DL and you free up a roster spot, adding a player to replace them does not count as one of your 3 moves (I take that add away in commish tools).
Yesterday a guy picked up Gagne and put him on his DL, and demanded a move back. I said no, that the rule was for only players that were already owned that go on the DL. He argued that he now does own Gagne and he's on the DL so he should get his move back.
So here's the actual wording of the rule. Let me know how you interperet it.

…when you put a guy currently on your roster on the DL, you free up a roster spot. You then pick a player up, let me know, and I’ll ix-nay that move. When it is announced a player is going on the DL is not when you get your move. You get your move when Yahoo! places the little red DL next to his name and you put him on the DL on your team, and pick someone up. That’s it. No exceptions.

;-D

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Commish Question - Rule Interpretation

Postby mikhayl » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:33 pm

bigken117 wrote:
…when you put a guy currently on your roster on the DL, you free up a roster spot. You then pick a player up, let me know, and I’ll ix-nay that move. When it is announced a player is going on the DL is not when you get your move. You get your move when Yahoo! places the little red DL next to his name and you put him on the DL on your team, and pick someone up. That’s it. No exceptions.

;-D

You left a loophole in there and if he pushes, I think you have to give in. Technically, after he picked up Gagne and then DL'ed him, he does qualify for a free move.

Moving forward, the rule should be clearer. But the good news is, you're not a lawyer.
Let's go O's. Let's go Mets.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby 1337_Dude » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:39 pm

The intentions for it are clear, but the wording you used left room for someone to do what he's trying to do. Best thing to do is give him his move and fix the wording.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TEKTON » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:46 pm

he's only hurting himself b/c gagne is not pitching this season so he now basically has NO DL spot to use and when he does he will lose a waiver move for an upcoming week.
TEKTON
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Splendid61 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:57 pm

Picking up Gagne counts as a 1 pick-up towards his 3 for the week. However, when he chooses to put Gagne on his DL, he is awarded a free pick-up.

Splendid61
College Coach
College Coach

Re: Commish Question - Rule Interpretation

Postby Matthias » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:29 pm

bigken117 wrote:So I am commish of a 14 team H2H league. Since half the league works at a computer with internet and half do not, there is a limit of 3 add/drops per week (to prevent one or two people from stripping the wire bare).
However when a guy goes on the DL and you free up a roster spot, adding a player to replace them does not count as one of your 3 moves (I take that add away in commish tools).
Yesterday a guy picked up Gagne and put him on his DL, and demanded a move back. I said no, that the rule was for only players that were already owned that go on the DL. He argued that he now does own Gagne and he's on the DL so he should get his move back.
So here's the actual wording of the rule. Let me know how you interperet it.

;-D

Sorry. Most of you are wrong.

He is wrong both on the intent AND the wording of the rule.

Based on the intent of the rule, which is to not disadvantage teams whose players get hurt, he's in the wrong. He picked up an already-injured player.

Based on the wording of the rule, "You get your move when Yahoo! places the little red DL next to his name and you put him on the DL on your team, and pick someone up." he is in the wrong. Yahoo placed that little red DL next to his name ages ago. Now is too late to claim the extra move.

Luckily, I AM a lawyer.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby 1337_Dude » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:06 pm

Speaking to BigKen. How would this work in your league.

Say a guy trades for someone on the DL. Would they be able to place him on the DL and get a free move?
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:10 pm

Matthias is correct. Using plain language, the person gets the extra move "when" Yahoo puts the mark. Yahoo has already done that, so he doesn't get the move.

That said, I don't understand the big deal. Unless this is a keeper league, he just picked up a player who is gone for the year. If he wants to waste a weekly move to do so, I'm missing the issue, especially when you know you're going to tick the guy off and possibly lose him as an owner for next year.

But, again, Matthias has provided you the "out" you are looking for - straight semantics.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:10 pm

I would stand my ground. This right here covers you imo.

when you put a guy currently on your roster on the DL, you free up a roster spot.
You get your move when Yahoo! places the little red DL next to his name and you put him on the DL on your team, and pick someone up.

Gagne was not DLed this week, so I think you are fine to hold your ground. I would put a note into the rules this offseason about a move like this.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Jury » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:15 pm

To me, "…when you put a guy currently on your roster on the DL" is good enough. This means that to qualify for a refund, the DL guy must be on your current roster, not picked up off waivers.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers