Keeper League Commsioners-Question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Keeper League Commsioners-Question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keeper League Commsioners-Question

Postby astav28 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:58 pm

Which do you guys value more in a manager:

A) Activity-Checking everyday, making moves, offering trades
B) Personality- Good guy, doesnt make rude comments and trash people on the boards
C) Humor- Once in a while lightens things up with a humorous post
D) Knowledge- Very skilled manager; Competitive

I like to have a combination of both but, unfortunately I think without skill, you can only have one manager based soley on activity/personality/humor criteria.

The reason I bring this up is I have a friend in my league who joined this year and I think I should boot him out.

He checks a decent amount but never makes trades; his team is in last place and he seems to have very limited fantasy knowledge. He always gets angry with other managers and rips them on the boards without an ounce of humor in his posts.

He has Jose Contreras (a 36 year old too old to keep) and our deadline is in a week and he still hasnt come close to trading him because of his outrageous demands.

I just cant see a reason to let him stick around since he seems to be more trouble and isnt really contributing anything.

What are your thoughts??
astav28
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby activechamp2006 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:38 pm

if you see no reason to keep him, then why keep him? i feel that 2 have a manager in my league they must be active, checking there teams atleast 4 times a week.. if they are going to miss checks they need to let me know.. i also expect them to have knowledge of the sport, if they cant you can normally tell.. trades are a big thing in my league 2, i think they make it a lot more fun.. as long as they are even for both sides at the time..
get rid of that manager.. :-t
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mordraken » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:40 pm

I think the two questions are unrelated.

Question #1 is what do I value in an owner... and that is activity in the league. I'd rather have someone that managed his lineup and made appropriate moves (or not) than someone that posted on boards or that knew a lot about the game. People learn quickly (maybe 2-3 seasons at most) as long as they're active. Having an inactive owner is bad all around for the league.

Question #2 is if you should keep an owner in the league or not. I'd say if he's being disruptive and a prick, then you should boot him for those reasons. Many pools are for fun, and if someone is taking away that fun then they shouldn't be allowed to participate. If it's a shark pool (i.e. for the money, no socialization aspects) then it doesn't really matter... take his money and ban him from posting on the boards... if he wants to come back, take his money again, and tell him if he isn't sociable then you will ban him from the boards again. You can't fault people for not wanting to trade players... if it's a keeper league then it's his loss for not making a deal.
Mordraken
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mak1277 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:43 pm

If he's legitimately a pain in the butt, dump him. But I would never dump an owner just because they weren't any good. I play only in money leagues and only with people I know...I'd never turn down a co-workers money.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Matthias » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:53 pm

Agree with Mordraken. With the caveat that the best leagues I've been in aren't necessarily the most competitive but where the group knows everyone, or at least a core does and the rest are tangentially connected. So the league serves as a jumping-off point for group trash talking. But I think it also depends on how old you are. Me, I'm out of schools so have a number of friends scattered around that I wouldn't necessarily touch base with except every 4-6 months except for this stuff. But if it's people you see every day, anyway, not that big of a deal.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ukrneal » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:09 pm

SOunds to me like the problem might not be entirely his.

Trading: I would never boot someone because they are not much on trading. Personally, I don't make tons of trades. I've gone whole years in certain leagues without a single trade and I've made 5-6 as a maximum probably. It all depends. Also, you may think Contreras is worthless. I don't. I wouldn't hesitate to keep him another year if he was the best I had. He's done well and will probably pitch next year too. Why does he have no value? He's got an ERA of 3.5, WHIP under 1.2, on a pretty good team, and will get a decent number of K's. Maybe if you post some examples, we could better respond. But it sounds like he may be getting low-balled. What are the offers people are making?

Active: He sounds good here.

Etiquette: Here is the only problem I see. In any league I am in, we are very strict about foul language and inappropriate behavior. Perhaps this should have been dealt with earlier. In any case, I would make sure that he and all owners know the rules. If they are violated you can take away posting priveleges for a while and then try again. If he is an abusive poster, that WOULD be enough for me to kick him out. I don't know his relationship with other managers and what problems he may have. Perhaps he's not good and doesn't know how to get better? If you haven't talked to him, if nothing else as a friend, you will never know what the problem is.

Humor: Perhaps he is trying to be humorous, but isn't succeeding. Perhaps he doesn't mean it the way it is coming out. Maybe he jsut lacks this skill. Perhaps it's a way for him to vent. Hard to say on what little we know.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby astav28 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:52 pm

Well, my main problem is that anyone sees his roster knows hes not going to be any better next year.

His only possible keepers are: (10 team league, keep 8)

Brian McCan
Chad Tracy
Edgar Renteria
Manny Ramirez
Vlad Guerrero
Scott Podsednik
Matt Kemp
Lastings Milledge
Jose Contreras
Jason Schmidt
Jered Weaver

Now, for a 10 team league those arent exactly the best bunch to pick 8 keepers from. Obviously, manny and vlad are studs but hte problem is aside from them he doesnt have much to choose from. I try to advise him, hey trade Manny for 2 good keepers, but not as good as him, so you can spread out your talent. I mean, to each his own but its like he makes no effort to improve his squad.

Then he will post something like:

Schmidt and Contreras are both available in a trade for a top 80 player, no OFs

He gets offered Giambi for one of them, who is ranked in the 40s and rejects.

Basically, when someone offers him a bad trade he posts on the board a 5 paragraph message saying why its a horrible offer, and that gets old. His last post really crossed the line but I dont enjoy locking people out and being a Commisioner/Hitler, I just delete the post and tell him to watch it in the future.

However, for me, Activity is most important but also the social atmosphere, as this is a non-money league and almost all friends. When one person rubs multiple people the wrong way, he might as well go if he isnt especially skilled anyway.
astav28
College Coach
College Coach

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:04 pm

I don't think I could boot the guy just because his team is in last place and he doesn't like to trade. If he is consistently checking his team, then he definitely cares. I have a few leagues that I am in that trades are very scarce, but it is not for the lack of trying. Most of the owners in it are just very scared to make a deal of any kind, but I can't see any reason to kick them out for not making deals. I personally would try to get him to chill on his board etiquette, but overall he seems OK to me.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby wrveres » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:37 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:I don't think I could boot the guy just because his team is in last place and he doesn't like to trade. If he is consistently checking his team, then he definitely cares. I have a few leagues that I am in that trades are very scarce, but it is not for the lack of trying. Most of the owners in it are just very scared to make a deal of any kind, but I can't see any reason to kick them out for not making deals. I personally would try to get him to chill on his board etiquette, but overall he seems OK to me.

agreed ;-D
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1147)

Postby jbones733 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:55 pm

if ya kick em out, ill take his team, i can do wonders w that talent :-D