Juan Rivera - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Juan Rivera

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Juan Rivera

Postby Redlegs » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:32 am

He's been very hot lately and I decided to pick him up. Any comments on his performance and potential?

If you don't know, he's an OF for the Angels. I'm taking a chance with him, his numbers have been good. He's batting .295 with 15hr and 50 rbi and 39 runs in only 237 at bats. I'll ride him as long as he's playing well.
Redlegs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby p32bars » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:09 am

He's been nothing short of a godsend to fantasy teams who have picked him up during his hot streak. I didn't know too much about him other than I have read articles on him saying if he ever got the chance to show his stuff he would become a special player as he was rated quite high in many baseball ranking publications over the past few years. I guess all he needed was a chance and some consistent playing time to show what he can do and he is currently getting that shot with the Angels right now.
p32bars
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby p32bars » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:10 am

He's been nothing short of a godsend to fantasy teams who have picked him up during his hot streak. I didn't know too much about him other than I have read articles on him saying if he ever got the chance to show his stuff he would become a special player as he was rated quite high in many baseball ranking publications over the past few years. I guess all he needed was a chance and some consistent playing time to show what he can do and he is currently getting that shot with the Angels right now.
p32bars
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby bigwords » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:24 am

I might not be so quick to fall in depression the next time one of my players gets injured. Probably a lot of teams with Jorge Cantu on their roster ended up with Dan Uggla, and likewise, a number of teams with Alex Rios on their team ended up with Juan Rivera. Not bad.

Anyway, I can add that Baseball America rated Rivera as the #55 ranked prospect in 2003, ahead of Chase Utley, Francisco Liriano, and Jeff Francoeur. So it's not like we're seeing a flash in the pan here.
bigwords
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby fungerburke » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:11 pm

bigwords wrote:I might not be so quick to fall in depression the next time one of my players gets injured. Probably a lot of teams with Jorge Cantu on their roster ended up with Dan Uggla, and likewise, a number of teams with Alex Rios on their team ended up with Juan Rivera. Not bad.

Anyway, I can add that Baseball America rated Rivera as the #55 ranked prospect in 2003, ahead of Chase Utley, Francisco Liriano, and Jeff Francoeur. So it's not like we're seeing a flash in the pan here.

Interesting. He's been on fire of course. I like him immensely for the remainder of this season. The Angels offense has come alive and he's right in the middle of things. Good bat off the scrap-heap. Have him in all three of my leagues and I'm lovin it.
fungerburke
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Tommy John » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:27 pm

What do you all think about his future statistics with the Angels??

He is about 28 right now so he could foreseeably have 4 or 5 pretty strong years in him.

Anyone have any thoughts on his future??
Tommy John
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Hobbes » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:26 pm

Also of note is that he is renowned as a second half performer. Over the past three
seasons (2003-2005) he has hit 75 points higher after the All-Star break than before it.
(.247 before ASB, .322 after).

I picked him up a couple of weeks ago and am quite pleased with the results so far. ;-D
Hobbes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby fbc_fan » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:58 pm

Hobbes wrote:Also of note is that he is renowned as a second half performer. Over the past three
seasons (2003-2005) he has hit 75 points higher after the All-Star break than before it.
(.247 before ASB, .322 after).

I picked him up a couple of weeks ago and am quite pleased with the results so far. ;-D

word. his SLG is also much better by far in the second half, which is nice for owners in need of help in the power department.

my most recent pickups are huff and him. he's playing like i thought huff would. it may be time for huff to go back to sitting on waivers.
thanks to madison/go_jays_go for the slick sig!
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AdvRider » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:18 pm

You gotta like him. Bit of a late bloomer with limited playing time in 2001-2003 while with NYY.

But he's just 28 and barring injury will have the most ABs in his career this year. Too bad he can't steal.
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 7)

Return to Injuries & Player Updates