Santana and fantasy playoffs - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Santana and fantasy playoffs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Santana and fantasy playoffs

Postby stubs5205 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:30 am

hey guys, ive been looking into trade offers regarding Johan for offensive players and i decided a big factor in making a trade would be who johan would be up against come fantasy playoff time. in my league, im pretty sure ill have a first round bye, which means his schedule is lookign like this

semifinals- sept 11-sept 17- oakland, @cleveland
finals- sept 18-october 1- @bos, @balt, kc, white sox

what are your opinions on his value for the playoffs, knowing his schedule.

and also, what do u guys feel about a johan for dye, mike young, and pitcher to be named (at the level of like a penny).

thanks a lot
stubs5205
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stubs5205 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:32 am

and i know that this sounds like a trade question but that was not its original intent. i just would prefer to have the opinions of the people who spend time in this forum versus the people who will give a quick comment and ask for help in return. thanks
stubs5205
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:22 pm

i dont think the schedule affects santana's value. he is filthy whoever he faces.
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby BritSox » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:34 pm

Plus, that's a pretty mediocre schedule. A couple of tough teams, and a few weak-hitting ones. Nothing to worry about.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby ukrneal » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:44 pm

I don't think this makes much of a factor if you are likely to be in the top two. Rather, you should look to your needs. If you are weak in some area and need help if you are to win, then I might look to do a deal.

But I don't understand the logic of trading him and valuing him according to his 'playoff' schedule. It could change! Add a few changes due to more or less starts (injury, rainouts, etc.) and who he faces may be seriously different.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby reynolds80 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:49 pm

Actually, for guys in H2H leagues that have locked up a first round bye, the schedule between Sept 11-Oct 3 is the ONLY thing that matters. What happens between now and then is pretty irrelevant.

Tip: The Yankees have 8 games in the week of Sept 11-Sept 17 due to a rainout makeup.
reynolds80
College Coach
College Coach

Postby stubs5205 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:21 pm

i guess i didnt really make this clear...its a H2H league, and im currently in 2nd place, 5 back of 1st place. basically im curious for some different opinons. i think a pitcher's greatest worth during a season in the playoffs. you can get by with average pitching during the year but come playoff time you cant have blowups. meanwhile, with like 5 weeks left in the season, i think i would take good hitting over good pitching everytime.

i guess im saying that for an entire season, id take a good hitter over an equally good pitcher, but for one week, id rather have the good pitcher over the equally good hitter. and im trying to decide whether to trade him or not.
stubs5205
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ukrneal » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:44 pm

I still don't understand how a pitcher's value fundamentally changes during this period. There are so many things between now and then that can happen, it's mind-boggling: injuries, schedule changes, rainouts, double-headers, rest for the playoffs, extra starts in order to make the playoffs, etc.

I guess I don't see why Santana or any pitcher becomes more valuable. And I do understand that as the season goes on, good pitching becomes more valuable. I just don't see how you can 'time' the pitcher and increase his worth for the playoffs more than a month before that time.

Santana is the best pitcher in the league. Period. The only way I would part with him is 1) The other guy overpaid and 2) Made me an offer I couldn't refuse and 3) The offer made my team better.

If you are looking for more dependable pitching to go into that period, that I can understand. And you will have to pay more for it today than you did at the beginning of the season. But the teams faced during that time (as of today) should not have any effect on value that I can see.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers