The death of the baseball card - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The death of the baseball card

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:15 am

Just curious, but what would you fellas say is the nicest set to be released before 1990? Personally, the 1987 Topps set still ranks among my all-time favorite looking sets. Classy wooden finish, big photo, almost rustic looking. Very nice.

Dr. Duran Duran
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafecasterTrivia Time Trial Champion
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Belle4Hall88 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:28 am

89 upper deck ;-D
Belle4Hall88 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Belle4Hall88 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:34 am

teddyballgamemvp wrote:
rentz wrote:
teddyballgamemvp wrote:Though, the 2006 Bowman Chrome Baseball series, released 8/16/06, is calling me with its Siren song, because I really think the rookies and prospects in baseball now are going to be very special.

so what exactly is the bowman chrome series, i see its a tad pricey and 4 cards per pack....is it mostly rookies?
i've started buying a pack here and there again and wouldnt mind getting a box of those if its full of mostly prospects first cards

It's basically the regular Bowman series, but with the metallic/shiny look.

The Bowman Chrome cards are worth more than the regular. That's mostly all there is to it (different inserts, too).

Here are the traditional rookie cards of note (that I can see)
Hanley Ramirez
Justin Verlander
Francisco Liriano

There are autographed RCs of Fielder and Barfield.

They have prospect cards for guys like Alex Gordon, Chris Iannetta, Jon Lester, Matt Garza, Brandon Wood, Cameron Maybin, and Hunter Pence.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/nbbcd/pdf ... cklist.pdf

Actually, Liriano's RC is in 2002 when he was still on the Giants.
Verlanders in 2005 and Ramirez's is in 2003. Not trying to be a prick or anything just pointing that out so nobody rushes to their nearest hobby dealer and spends a fortune to get 06 bowman chrome cards of those guys that are basically worthless.
Belle4Hall88 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rentz » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:08 am

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:Just curious, but what would you fellas say is the nicest set to be released before 1990? Personally, the 1987 Topps set still ranks among my all-time favorite looking sets. Classy wooden finish, big photo, almost rustic looking. Very nice.

89 upperdeck or the 87 topps set
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

Postby teddyballgamemvp » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:53 am

Belle4Hall88 wrote:Actually, Liriano's RC is in 2002 when he was still on the Giants.
Verlanders in 2005 and Ramirez's is in 2003. Not trying to be a prick or anything just pointing that out so nobody rushes to their nearest hobby dealer and spends a fortune to get 06 bowman chrome cards of those guys that are basically worthless.

Bowman considers it a RC (click on the link of the checklist I posted for the cards with the RC designation). I also know that the MLBPA has gotten involved in labeling rookie cards, and it appears they have labeled these cards as RCs.
Chris Iannetta was born on Krypton and transported to Earth as an infant and saves the universe when he's not getting on base every plate appearance.
teddyballgamemvp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:30 pm

rentz wrote:
Dr. Duran Duran wrote:Just curious, but what would you fellas say is the nicest set to be released before 1990? Personally, the 1987 Topps set still ranks among my all-time favorite looking sets. Classy wooden finish, big photo, almost rustic looking. Very nice.

89 upperdeck or the 87 topps set

I'd have to agree with you on 89 Upper Deck. Very clean look, obviously very groundbreaking. I'd never before seen the triple exposure look before and the Jim Abbott card from that set just blew me away when it first came out.
Dr. Duran Duran
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pokerplaya » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:16 pm

89 Upper Deck...collected that a great deal...have a few Griffey Jr rookies as well.

87 Topps was my favorite, however...my dad used to bring home 3 fold packs all the time, so I have tons of those cards and love them.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Tavish » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:02 am

I always liked the 83 and 84 Topps sets with the action photo coupled with the small head shot in the lower left corner.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 34)

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:59 pm

1985 Donruss ranks as one of my faves. Love the black borders, but it made the set a pain in the neck to complete in mint condition.

I should have my Clemens rookie from this set graded. Perfect borders and corners, 60/40 centering. Hopefully it will garner at least a 9 rating from BGS.
Dr. Duran Duran
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby soxfan364 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:14 am

87 Topps is a nice set, I like the wooden frame too.

77 Topps was for the first set I completed from packs and card shows, so that's a personal favorite too. Also 75 Topps, one of the first sets I was into (back when I was 10).

soxfan364
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers