The death of the baseball card - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The death of the baseball card

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ukrneal » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:58 am

Nice timing - had an article on yahoo about collecting yesterday...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RyanK » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:11 am

tol1l1yboy wrote:Can someone recommend a good set to buy from 2004 on for baseball? My son was born then and I want him to enjoy baseball cards like I enjoyed them in my teens.

I want to buy one set every year for him.

I am not looking to break the bank but I would like a nice set that when he opens it the cards will look good and he can share in the fun I had when I was a kid.

Please pm me if you would since Im sure it will get lost in the shuffle. Thanks in advance!!!

Topps sells complete sets and are usually a good one to buy because they have alot of different players in the set and somewhat cool cards from each year, ie, leauge leaders all stars, etc at the end of the set (or they use to)

all this card talk is making me want to go to a card show... i really think im about to..
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: 4)

Postby ukrneal » Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:49 pm

Huh, and another article about baseball cards...

http://biz.yahoo.com/cnnm/060728/072606 ... cards.html
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby stikmata » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:52 pm

I remember when upperdeck and all the glossy cards first came out..... it felt awesome to thumb through a fresh pack... all slick and shiney! :D

something about the 88 donrus too.. with the blue and red pipe like bars on the boarder... maybe it was the puzzle peices... but those stand out in my mind

and opeechee premiere... man... they were like 6 bucks a pack even back then!

getting a box of cards and opening packs all night was like the equivelent of having sex with a new chick in those days

"can it be that it was allll so simple then?" :-°
stikmata
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby ttwarrior1 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:02 pm

the problem is they make too many cards and its easy to get the guy you want. I remember i would have to buy pack after pack after pack just to get one good card. Now you buy a few packs and you have every player
ttwarrior1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BTOWNHESS » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:14 pm

my 2 best card collecting memories

1. Being extremely upset when I pulled a card of value from a pack and it had a frayed corner or wasn't perfectly centered.

2. Gary Sheffields Brewers rookie card with his gold teeth and that ridiculous gold chain around his neck that had to be 3 inches thick.
BTOWNHESS
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rentz » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:53 pm

teddyballgamemvp wrote:Though, the 2006 Bowman Chrome Baseball series, released 8/16/06, is calling me with its Siren song, because I really think the rookies and prospects in baseball now are going to be very special.

so what exactly is the bowman chrome series, i see its a tad pricey and 4 cards per pack....is it mostly rookies?
i've started buying a pack here and there again and wouldnt mind getting a box of those if its full of mostly prospects first cards
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Belle4Hall88 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:27 pm

tol1l1yboy wrote:Can someone recommend a good set to buy from 2004 on for baseball? My son was born then and I want him to enjoy baseball cards like I enjoyed them in my teens.

I want to buy one set every year for him.

I am not looking to break the bank but I would like a nice set that when he opens it the cards will look good and he can share in the fun I had when I was a kid.

Please pm me if you would since Im sure it will get lost in the shuffle. Thanks in advance!!!

If it was me I would buy him the basic topps set every year for awhile
Belle4Hall88 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby teddyballgamemvp » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:37 pm

rentz wrote:
teddyballgamemvp wrote:Though, the 2006 Bowman Chrome Baseball series, released 8/16/06, is calling me with its Siren song, because I really think the rookies and prospects in baseball now are going to be very special.

so what exactly is the bowman chrome series, i see its a tad pricey and 4 cards per pack....is it mostly rookies?
i've started buying a pack here and there again and wouldnt mind getting a box of those if its full of mostly prospects first cards

It's basically the regular Bowman series, but with the metallic/shiny look.

The Bowman Chrome cards are worth more than the regular. That's mostly all there is to it (different inserts, too).

Here are the traditional rookie cards of note (that I can see)
Hanley Ramirez
Justin Verlander
Francisco Liriano

There are autographed RCs of Fielder and Barfield.

They have prospect cards for guys like Alex Gordon, Chris Iannetta, Jon Lester, Matt Garza, Brandon Wood, Cameron Maybin, and Hunter Pence.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/nbbcd/pdf ... cklist.pdf
Chris Iannetta was born on Krypton and transported to Earth as an infant and saves the universe when he's not getting on base every plate appearance.
teddyballgamemvp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rentz » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:48 pm

interesting, i may have to get some....i was always a sucker for rookie cards and minor league player cards....bought a pack of bowman today at the store that had 2 chrome inserts.
im seeing boxes going for 65ish on ebay for pre-order.
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers