Lidge - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Lidge

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby flooredyas » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:34 pm

Well Yahoo thinks highly of him. Pending trade-Carlos Lee for Lidge.
Roto league with 10 cats each for pitchers and position players.
They over-ruled my veto on the trade. Don't quite know what to say in my next objection.
In another league, where saves count minimally, I just dropped him to stream starters. He has been a disaster for me this year, and I
finally decided to dump him. I feel better now.
flooredyas
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Starkmadfan » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:32 pm

From Rotowire:

Lidge had another messy outing Thursday against Cincinnati, allowing four of six batters to reach. Phil Garner eventually pulled Lidge in favor of Dan Wheeler. Lidge was working in a non-save situation, but he didn't do anything here to inspire confidence going forward. Lidge owners might want to get Wheeler on the roster as insurance, if that's still an option.

Sigh - I just grabbed Wheeler now - my league is so competitive I knew if I didn't, he'd be gone by tomorrow morning - I haven't dropped Lidge yet, just in case he gets traded and starts somewhere else, but once the trade deadline passes, and he is still in Houston, I am going to be forced to cut my losses (traded for him low) and move on.
Starkmadfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby flowbee » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:44 pm

Lidged was booed pretty good by the Astros fans tonight so I heard
flowbee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby fbc_fan » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:03 am

flowbee wrote:Lidged was booed pretty good by the Astros fans tonight so I heard

deservedly so, he's been terrible this year, though i guess the shelf life of closers is rather short for the most part.

also, my guess for a successor is wheeler. he's been awesome since 04 and he's only really had one bad month so far this year (may i think). since he's a reliever, it somewhat skewed his stats.
thanks to madison/go_jays_go for the slick sig!
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Padsin05 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:34 am

a week ago I traded Felipe Lopez, Chad Tracy and Brad Lidge for Carl Crawford. People said I was giving too much, god I am so happy now
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 13)

Postby flooredyas » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:38 am

flooredyas wrote:Well Yahoo thinks highly of him. Pending trade-Carlos Lee for Lidge.
Roto league with 10 cats each for pitchers and position players.
They over-ruled my veto on the trade. Don't quite know what to say in my next objection.
In another league, where saves count minimally, I just dropped him to stream starters. He has been a disaster for me this year, and I
finally decided to dump him. I feel better now.

Well, the trade went through. O:-) :-t O:-)
flooredyas
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:38 am

Padsin05 wrote:a week ago I traded Felipe Lopez, Chad Tracy and Brad Lidge for Carl Crawford. People said I was giving too much, god I am so happy now

If Lidge was lights-out I still would make that trade. ;-D
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby Starkmadfan » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:11 pm

From Houston Astros website:

Try the cutter: It's undeniable that Brad Lidge is having his share of struggles this year, and on Friday he gave some insight as to what he's doing to try to right the ship.

Lidge is experimenting with a cut fastball, a project he took on during Spring Training but hasn't pursued in earnest until recently. His struggles, especially against left-handers, has prompted him to try to mix things up a bit.

Entering Friday's game, left-handers were hitting .413 against Lidge, whose ERA is 4.95 in such situations. He understands these numbers are not acceptable, and he's hoping he can find some success with the cutter in an effort to offset his problems.

The decison to try out the cutter stemmed from his performance against the Reds on Wednesday. After allowing a hit, hitting a batter, throwing a wild pitch and striking out the next hitter, manager Phil Garner called upon left-hander Trever Miller to face the left-handed hitting Ken Griffey Jr.

"If I would have stayed out there [Wednesday night] closing, then I wouldn't have worked on [the cutter]," Lidge said. "But I realize I'm not getting left-handed hitters out as well as I should be. There's no doubt. The stats don't lie. That's a fact. I'm trying to come up with something."

He mixed in the cutter with his usual fastball-slider routine in the ninth inning on Thursday, with poor results. Lidge vowed to continue to look for answers as to why he's not having the same success he enjoyed in '04 and '05.

"I know I'm struggling," he said. "I know I'm not throwing the ball well. I'm trying to do everything I can to right the ship."

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060728&content_id=1580210&vkey=news_hou&fext=.jsp&c_id=hou
Help me out here? : http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2321827#2321827

Artwork by madaslives911
Starkmadfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Starkmadfan » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:50 pm

From ESPN Insider:

Astros turn down Rangers' try for Lidge
Jul 29 - In order to get bullpen help, the Rangers offered catcher Rod Barajas and outfielder Brad Wilkerson to the Astros for right-hander Lidge, ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reports. The Astros turned down Texas, and now Lidge will not be traded.

And I had my finger on the trigger to grab Wheeler.......
Help me out here? : http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2321827#2321827

Artwork by madaslives911
Starkmadfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Geek » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:58 pm

So, if Texas had their way, they would have given up:

Alex Rodriguez (for Alfonso Soriano (for Brad Wilkerson)) and Rod Barajas.

And they would have gotten in return:

A mediocre future middle reliever.

No wonder they never contend.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates