Be honest, has Fantasy Baseball affected your job or school? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Be honest, has Fantasy Baseball affected your job or school?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Giambis » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:28 am

Not that anyone cares...
After a lot of soul searching, I'm actually hanging up my fantasy shoes at the end of this season. My lack of willpower doesn't go well with fantasy sports. I used to at least be a slightly interesting person, could talk on at least a couple subjects. Now, while I could talk about baseball all day, most people look at me like I'm crazy (very perceptive) or their eyes glaze over. I eventually came to the realization that on my deathbed, do I want to look back at the best years of my life and curse Mark Prior for making them miserable?
So I have decided to move on. I just wanted to thank the cafe for all their helpful hints and being the best site I've ever belonged to. Thank you cafe members and good luck!
Giambis
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Old_Style » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:32 am

Giambis wrote:Not that anyone cares...
After a lot of soul searching, I'm actually hanging up my fantasy shoes at the end of this season.

i don't think i could ever see myself not involved in fantasy baseball.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby rentz » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:36 am

Fantasy sports don't effect my work all that much since im currently stuck only working part time, but on my off days it does consume a large portion of my day... looking up box scores, reading reports,etc.
Sometimes I wish I could just ignore a lot of the extras and have some fun with it, but when I play fantasy sports I get competitive and i HAVE to win!. Plus it makes me check out multiple teams across the country which increases my baseball knowledge..... fantasy football is so much easier to keep up with :-D
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

Postby teddyballgamemvp » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:43 am

Giambis wrote:Not that anyone cares...
After a lot of soul searching, I'm actually hanging up my fantasy shoes at the end of this season. My lack of willpower doesn't go well with fantasy sports. I used to at least be a slightly interesting person, could talk on at least a couple subjects. Now, while I could talk about baseball all day, most people look at me like I'm crazy (very perceptive) or their eyes glaze over. I eventually came to the realization that on my deathbed, do I want to look back at the best years of my life and curse Mark Prior for making them miserable?
So I have decided to move on. I just wanted to thank the cafe for all their helpful hints and being the best site I've ever belonged to. Thank you cafe members and good luck!

The secret is to join a dynasty league. You can always be hopeful and happy because tomorrow you could add the next Pujols or Santana to your roster before someone else does. I drafted 40 players during our draft in February. I now have 11 of those 40 players on my team-- because of trades and drops. 11 out of 40.

My team is near the bottom of the standings, but I'm happy as a clam because I picked up Iannetta and Votto and Rasmus and several other Top 50 prospects during this season (they weren't on the radar really before this season) and traded for Kazmir and Verlander. If any of my several Top 100 pitching prospects I picked up pan out, I can trade them for a boost in offense and be a really nice team. Next year, I may not play in any non-keeper/non-dynasty leagues. It's such a different animal altogether. I would have dropped Prior a while ago if I were in your situation of owning him and not shed a tear (I had a lot of really bad draft picks and the only thing I remotely regret is trading Aramis Ramirez when he was playing so poorly, but I'm almost over that even)-- because i'm looking at the big picture years down the road.
Chris Iannetta was born on Krypton and transported to Earth as an infant and saves the universe when he's not getting on base every plate appearance.
teddyballgamemvp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby saxeT1979 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:20 am

Do bears poop in the woods???

I'm not sure I would come to work without fantasy baseball.
saxeT1979
College Coach
College Coach

Postby reenum » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:48 am

CadensDad wrote:It doesnt affect work at all. I know I have to bring home the bacon so I dont let it get in the way too much. Of course my boss is a big time Braves fan as well so he doesnt mind me checking scores on my phone as long as I keep him updated.

At home it's only a problem during the drafting times. Sometimes I break down my early drafts and try to find "holes" in them so when I draft my keepers and my winner leagues I am more prepared. I'll also review and check out like 30 other drafts and find out when's the latest I cant take one of my sleepers or whatnot.

I have 5 yahoo ID's 4 teams on 4 of them and 8 on another (4 of those are midseason)

1st ID:Regular season Roto
Winner league 11 of 12
Other 3 I am 2 of 12 2 of 12 and 1 of 12

Midseason keeper roto
8 of 12

midseason rotos non-keepers
1 of 12 and 2 of 12

midseason h2h 4 of 12

Thats just 1 id the other ones are all about the same with the exception of like 4 teams, but I dont make alot of moves throughout the year, I average somewhere around 30-40 per team, I just really try to draft well and avoid risky picks (Prior,Wood, Griffey, Kent,) and whatever risky picks I do make are always rounds 11 and down.

Next year I plan on have having no more than 12 regular season teams and 4 midseason ones. (unless I win too many yahoo leagues I wont miss a winners league)

But it doesnt mess with my home life somewhat. Luckily my wife doesnt mind too much as long as I do my baseball teams late at night so she can use the comp most the day

Wow Cadens. I have problems keeping up with just 2 leagues. You sir, are a master.
I never smile if I can help it.... Showing one's teeth is a submission signal in primates. When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for its life.
reenum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

i just might be a loser

Postby damonhater » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:28 pm

Last night i'm laying in bed with my girlfriend kinda late tv off just some quiet time together and i felt the need to tell her how i picked up Adrian Gonzalez off the WW before anyone else in my league and how i am riding out his hot streak. Not exactly pillow talk. I then proceed to tell her that i am going to pick up Bill Hall because you can't deny all that power.
damonhater Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rib217 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:06 pm

Im glad to hear that perhaps some are more ridiculous than i am, i find myself at work with an extra window open to my team, and the forum just to check it every couple of minutes thinking i am missing something. I drive myself crazy over thoughts of trades and pickups. Thank you all for making me not feel quite as pathetic as i know i am.
rib217
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:09 pm

I only have 3 baseball league, 2 hockey league and 1 football league that I really cared about. Does it take lots of time, not much when I was back in school. but I do spend more time now during the summer
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: i just might be a loser

Postby teddyballgamemvp » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:47 pm

damonhater wrote:Last night i'm laying in bed with my girlfriend kinda late tv off just some quiet time together and i felt the need to tell her how i picked up Adrian Gonzalez off the WW before anyone else in my league and how i am riding out his hot streak. Not exactly pillow talk. I then proceed to tell her that i am going to pick up Bill Hall because you can't deny all that power.

It would be easier to be gay, I guess, except for the sex part, for such occasions. Your boyfriend would say, "Wow. That's awesome. When do you think he'll cool off." Your girlfriend would merely look at you like you revealed to her you had a toenail collection.
Chris Iannetta was born on Krypton and transported to Earth as an infant and saves the universe when he's not getting on base every plate appearance.
teddyballgamemvp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers