Prior - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Prior

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby LukeW9027 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:22 pm

jeter2411 wrote:Check your stats before you open your mouth...1982...world series...Brewers/Cards.

And as for Carlos Lee, I hope he is traded...I don't think we can make a serious push this year and we should be able to get something for him, plus, if we want to give him the money he would probably come back in the offseason as a free agent.

The Brewers will be in another world series before the Cubs!

Melvin does it again. Mench who is a free agent next year, coco cordero who's career is over (may be better than turnblow) and laynce nix for Carlos Lee, a top 10 OF in the MLB a good prospect in Nelson Cruz, and a player to be named.

One of the most lopsided trades ive seen in a while.

Looks like its another 10 years of the brewers never being able to make the stretch run and make it to the playoffs.

and while we're talking about priors injuries, im sure Sheets will probly go out for the year next year with another Fatal Ear Infection.

Out
Blind Bidders Auction Keeper League- League Champ
Cafe Bums- Last Place
LukeW9027
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby psflipper » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:16 pm

Hey guys, this thread is about Mark Prior not Cubs fans or the Brewers. Let's try to stay on topic. How do you all feel about Prior's next start against Arizona?
psflipper
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jeter2411 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:34 pm

Your right...Melvin does do it again...we give up a player that is a free agent at the end of the year and get Mench (who if you did your homework we can keep under contract for two more season through options) and Nix who we can keep for three, plus a servicable reliever and possibley answer to the closer problem and another minor league pitcher...again for a guy that the Rangers will have for two months. And the Brewers still have as good of a shot as anyone to sign him in the off season if they want to spend that mich money for 5 year on a guy that probably only has 2 good years left before his fat @$$ starts to break down (he is already a defensive liability and would serve better as a DH than a OF).

You Cubs fans are S-M-R-T smart!

As for Prioir, I really liked what I saw last outing and think he will only get better and get his control back over the next few starts.
jeter2411
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Birds05 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:36 pm

OK, all I've learned from this post is that the Cubs fan is an idiot. Being a Cards fan, this is no revelation to me.

I joke. :-b

But seriously, what do you guys think about Prior for his next start? Rest of the year?
Birds05
College Coach
College Coach

Postby TGM » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:07 pm

I'm a Prior owner, and fan. And, while I didn't see his last game, I did see the one against the Nats last Friday. And, he looked like he had completely lost his confidence, as well as his control. It had to be one of the worst starts in his young career. I told myself another game or two like that, and I would probably just cut him. Suffice to say, I was encouraged after seeing the line in his last box score. Like I said...I didn't see the game, but obviously he at least pitched well enough to keep his team in the game. The five walks was a bit discouraging, but I think he might finally be getting his control (and confidence) back. I mean, on top of all the injuries, he then comes back and gets torched time and time again. It's gotta be tough on a young pitcher. Especially one with as much potential as Prior. I think we'll all know a lot more over the next game or two, as he'll either take another step in the right direction, or suffer another pounding. Or, worse than that...another injury. But, I'm pulling for him. Have to...I need the Mark Prior from 2003 if I'm going to pull my team into contention.

As to whether or not I'd play him against the D-Backs next week...that's a tough one. I guess I'd base my decision on whether or not I had a better (safer) bet. If so, I think I'd wait to see him put up another game like this past week.

BTW...I'm not a Cubs fan per say. Although, I do like to watch their games. Lotta history there. Besides, who doesn't like pulling for the underdog? I'd love to see them put it all together one of these years. But, I seriously doubt it will happen as long as Baker is the manager.
TGM
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby TurdFerguson » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:02 pm

Lots of progress.6ER through 3INN against that scarry D'Backs lineup. :-t
TurdFerguson
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby bazzy_51 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:50 am

listen im not going to make any excusses for prior, hes just not pitching good. period. no ifs ands or buts about it he flat out sucks right now...but ok i don't care what you have to say he has PRIOR TO HIS 'injuries' and after he comes back 'healthy' has/and will have the best mechanics in the game...you know when this cat came into the game he was bashed that he was too much of a finess pitcher, but that finess turned into strikeouts and wins and thats what a pitcher has to do...its not even worth arguing cuz people like teams and players and hate other teams and players...frankly don't look for anything good out of prior the rest of the season maybe a couple wins and some good strikeout numbers, but the era and whip will be threw the roof...thats all i have

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby SmartassBoiler » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:53 am

I watched his start last night and it wasn't quite as bad as it seems via the boxscore. There was a hard wind blowing out, and that grand slam would not have left the yard without that wind. Obviously if that grand slam becomes a fly out, his box score is quite a bit different.

He did struggle with his command, which is the reason the bases were loaded in the first place, but I think that has more to do with inconsistent pitching schedules thanks to his shoulder injury and then his back injury. If he can stay healthy the rest of the year, which I know is a big if with him, then I think he'll find his rhythm and can help fantasy teams down the stretch.
SmartassBoiler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LukeW9027 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:39 pm

jeter2411 wrote:Your right...Melvin does do it again...we give up a player that is a free agent at the end of the year and get Mench (who if you did your homework we can keep under contract for two more season through options) and Nix who we can keep for three, plus a servicable reliever and possibley answer to the closer problem and another minor league pitcher...again for a guy that the Rangers will have for two months. And the Brewers still have as good of a shot as anyone to sign him in the off season if they want to spend that mich money for 5 year on a guy that probably only has 2 good years left before his fat @$$ starts to break down (he is already a defensive liability and would serve better as a DH than a OF).

You Cubs fans are S-M-R-T smart!

As for Prioir, I really liked what I saw last outing and think he will only get better and get his control back over the next few starts.

The only way you could possibly think that this is fair deal is if you coco cordero is actually gonna keep it up. its onyl a matter of time that the NL catches on to him just liek turnbow. the bottom line is that you can only get away with throwing 98 until the hitters figure you out.

The biggest mistake IMO is that they traded cruz. He was their best minor leaguer they had in their minor league systems, and could have easily taken over as the everyday LF, as could gwynn or hart.

My Problem is that in trading lee, they have no chance of making the playoffs, and yet they trade away one of their best young prospects for 2 mediocre players (at best) and AAA laynce nix.They needed lee between overpaid jenkins and Fat P.O.S. Fielder, and now they dont have that protection.(even though I agree he is a bum in the outfield)

They should have Dealt him for something they need, a solid RP and some $$$ or a middle of the line starter to put in for davis or ohka.

And on Prior, he just doesnt look the same out there. His fastball is still very live with good movement, and he is throwing the change for strikes. But as you may remember from 2003, what made him who he was, was his Knee Buckling curveball and his pin-point control. Those are the 2 main things he doesnt have working right now. Although i do believe in about 2-3 more starts he'll find his command, get his mechanics back in line, and find his curve and control. All he needs is another couple of weeks or setback-free pitching, and i think he will be back to the guy we saw as the #1 SP in the 2004 fantasy baseball drafts
Blind Bidders Auction Keeper League- League Champ
Cafe Bums- Last Place
LukeW9027
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby CeeLoGreen » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:42 am

LukeW9027 wrote:Typical Joke response from a couple a brewer fans. 50% of priors injuries have been flukes such as taking a comebacker on the elbow and straining an oblique in BP. Start seeing through unbiased eyes and realize that Prior is progressing well and hopefully will make the neccesary adjustments to become the pitcher he was in 2003, that was the guy you drafted. not the guy who has been hampered with injuries for the last 2 years.

You should be happy you dont have wood

(They're probly still mad that there are more cubs fans at miller during the Brewers vs. Cubs than brewers fans. a pitiful fanbase. its really embarrasing when they are advertising and begging fans to come to the series to "take back miller park"

Laughable :-b

I think this quote is what's laughable. Don't really know which side of the fence Im on.
Basically I'm complicated.
I have a hard time taking the easy way
I wouldn't call it schizophrenia
But Ill be at least two people today

If that's OK

And I can go on, and on, and on...

But who cares?
CeeLoGreen
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext