David Wells update - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

David Wells update

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

David Wells update

Postby Starkmadfan » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:44 pm

From Rotowire:

Wells (knee) may be activated to face the Indians on Monday or Tuesday of next week, the Boston Herald reports. "We’ll see how the week plays out," Red Sox manager Terry Francona said. "(Wells) is busting his rear end to get back and I’m not in the mood to hold him back. We’ll see how it goes but I think we’re all on the same page on this." Wells has been impressive in simulated games and the Red Sox could certainly use an experienced starter as they fill out their rotation with Kyle Snyder and Kason Gabbard. Either one of them would be bumped to make room for Wells.
Starkmadfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Chicago RedSox » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:17 pm

Come On Wells! I hope you can hold it together and solidify the staff...
Chicago RedSox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Mashug » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:12 pm

Chicago RedSox wrote:Come On Wells! I hope you can hold it together and solidify the staff...

I'm hoping the only thing Fat Boy "holds together" is a Big Mac. Sorry ChiTown Bosux, but I can only root against the fat man when he's on your side.
Mashug
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mreater71 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:57 pm

I don't see him solidifying the pitching staff very much. He'll probably come back like he did before and go right back on the DL for the season. I just don't know if he could hold it together. The knee injury will be very difficult to come back strong.
Mreater71
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Starkmadfan » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:55 pm

From Rotowire:

Wells (knee) will return to the Red Sox's rotation on Monday and start against the Cleveland Indians, the Associated Press reports. Wells did well enough in a five-inning simulated game on Monday that the team decided not to send him on a minor-league rehab start before joining the team. In two appearances this season, he is 0-1 with an 8.64 ERA. Wells' recent injury history and age make him a fantasy risk, but if healthy the Red Sox could really use him at the back end of their rotation.
Starkmadfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Red Sox Nation » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:53 pm

Mreater71 wrote:I don't see him solidifying the pitching staff very much. He'll probably come back like he did before and go right back on the DL for the season. I just don't know if he could hold it together. The knee injury will be very difficult to come back strong.

He won't be horrible (not as bad as Jason Johnson was) but he won't be great either. Expect career stats at around a high 3.00 or low 4.00 ERA.
[url=http://omgitspeter.googlepages.com/home]My Graphics[/url]

Red Sox Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mweir145 » Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:56 am

Red Sox Nation wrote:
Mreater71 wrote:I don't see him solidifying the pitching staff very much. He'll probably come back like he did before and go right back on the DL for the season. I just don't know if he could hold it together. The knee injury will be very difficult to come back strong.

He won't be horrible (not as bad as Jason Johnson was) but he won't be great either. Expect career stats at around a high 3.00 or low 4.00 ERA.

I can't even see him doing that, he hasn't had an ERA near 4 since 2004 when he played for the Pads, and that was aided by a weaker NL plus Petco park.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Return to Injuries & Player Updates