2007 2B Rankings - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2007 2B Rankings

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby 1337_Dude » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:17 pm

No love for cano? He'll get you a good avg., a few homeruns and RBi, a good number of runs.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Young 8 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:33 pm

Uggla must be in the top 5
Young 8
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby tol1l1yboy » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:42 pm

I take Kinsler over Kendrick in a heartbeat. Kendrick has shown nothing.

What exactly has Kinsler shown? He had some pop in his bat early on but I would take Kendrick over him all day every day. And Kendrick has been playing really well in the last couple of weeks since getting called up. He hit his first home run today too. It wouldnt surprise me if he hits more home runs than Kinsler by the end of the year.
tol1l1yboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Zito is God » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:09 pm

tol1l1yboy wrote:
I take Kinsler over Kendrick in a heartbeat. Kendrick has shown nothing.

What exactly has Kinsler shown? He had some pop in his bat early on but I would take Kendrick over him all day every day. And Kendrick has been playing really well in the last couple of weeks since getting called up. He hit his first home run today too. It wouldnt surprise me if he hits more home runs than Kinsler by the end of the year.

I very much doubt that would happen. Kinsler has shown more in the majors, has the better lineup, and plays in the better park. I really don't see the arguement for kendrick other then homers and those who drafted him for their farm ssytems in keeper leagues because he was high on the prospect list.

Oh, on a seperate issue, shoot me next year if Uggla is top 5 allright?

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby davidmarver » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:22 pm

1337_Dude wrote:No love for cano? He'll get you a good avg., a few homeruns and RBi, a good number of runs.

Sounds like Barfield, but older, without the stolen bases, defense, and durability.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby tianyi86 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:50 pm

Los_Dodgers wrote:
davidmarver wrote:Josh Barfield is a .300 hitter -- while hitting 8th in the NL -- who will steal 20-25 bags this season. Next season, he'll hit leadoff increasing his runs scored, and most likely, stolen base totals. All this from a 23 year old; he has to be considered a top ten 2 bagger for 2007.

Homer?

Also, I'm gonna love you guys drafting Uggla and Phillips and letting Cantu fall to me as the number 7 or 8 2b taken.

Hr is only one category in baseball and fantasybaseball. I would draft a 2b for his speed and runs scored. Cantu is a young player who has great potential, but his best season (his last season) showed hes only a 2 category player: hr and rbi. Maybe this yr is the real cantu? I certainly am not convinced that cantu is of elite calibre yet.
tianyi86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby 1337_Dude » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:51 pm

davidmarver wrote:
1337_Dude wrote:No love for cano? He'll get you a good avg., a few homeruns and RBi, a good number of runs.

Sounds like Barfield, but older, without the stolen bases, defense, and durability.

Accept Cano is younger and while he doesn't have the stolen bases, he will get you more in most other categories and with defense...well I never really worry about defense on my fantasy teams.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby davidmarver » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:01 am

1337_Dude wrote:
davidmarver wrote:

Accept Cano is younger and while he doesn't have the stolen bases, he will get you more in most other categories and with defense...well I never really worry about defense on my fantasy teams.

No, Cano is a few months older, and has had equivalent major league power. They both score at the same rate per game (.47 to .49) and while Cano has had more RBI thus far, you have to remember Barfield has hit 8th all season. There's no way he starts next year as the 8th hitter; moving him out of that hole will get him both more runs and more RBI, while he'll probably be stealing more bases instead of moving over on bunts. And in case you missed it, Barfield leads all major leaguers in July hits with 37. I don't think it's a coincidence he's caught fire since Merv Rettemund was installed as the hitting coach. Barfield is also as durable as they come, playing in 135+ in every minor league season. And you don't have to judge defense on your fantasy, but when you're talking about young players, you have to mention playing time and defense will factor in to playing time when the player slumps. The most acclaimed fantasy prospect raters -- like David Luciani of Baseball Notebook -- take defense into consideration, as they should.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby tol1l1yboy » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:03 am

I very much doubt that would happen. Kinsler has shown more in the majors, has the better lineup, and plays in the better park. I really don't see the arguement for kendrick other then homers and those who drafted him for their farm ssytems in keeper leagues because he was high on the prospect list.

7 home runs and 27 rbis in 200 at bats and people are acting like he is the second coming. Hell double his numbers and give him 400 plate appearances and Uggla of all people is still better than him.

Kendrick is a better prospect b/c he is a better player. By all means question Kendrick but he is just now getting a fair shake and I think in 2 to 3 years there will be no question that Kendrick is a top 5 second baseman. Kinsler might not even be playing 2nd by then.

I wouldnt keep either of them since I play in a 5 man keeper league but I did grab Kendrick when he was brought up and have to say I have liked what I have seen since then. I will probably draft Kendrick next year if I can (assuming some tool doesnt draft him way too high) b/c he is the real deal. Kinsler might be playing in Texas and in a "better lineup" but Ill take a stud playing in a good lineup over an average player in a great lineup every day.

For the record I would rate Kendrick, Weeks, Lopez, Cano, Barfield and Cantu higher than Kinsler for the under 25 second baseman next year.
tol1l1yboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby 1337_Dude » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:16 am

davidmarver wrote:
1337_Dude wrote:
davidmarver wrote:

No, Cano is a few months older, and has had equivalent major league power. They both score at the same rate per game (.47 to .49) and while Cano has had more RBI thus far, you have to remember Barfield has hit 8th all season. There's no way he starts next year as the 8th hitter; moving him out of that hole will get him both more runs and more RBI, while he'll probably be stealing more bases instead of moving over on bunts. And in case you missed it, Barfield leads all major leaguers in July hits with 37. I don't think it's a coincidence he's caught fire since Merv Rettemund was installed as the hitting coach. Barfield is also as durable as they come, playing in 135+ in every minor league season. And you don't have to judge defense on your fantasy, but when you're talking about young players, you have to mention playing time and defense will factor in to playing time when the player slumps. The most acclaimed fantasy prospect raters -- like David Luciani of Baseball Notebook -- take defense into consideration, as they should.

I'm not gonna lie...most of what you said I don't understand as i'm obviously not as versed in deeper stats. As for age I'm being dumb two sites have Cano being born in October of 82 while having Barfiled being born in December of 82 (Rotoworld and ESPN) sorry about that. While defense is important in terms of earning playing time, i'm fairly sure Cano would have to do something pretty terrible to lose time. Also for Robinson's durability, it looks like he's been fairly durable up until this year.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers