2 More Errors For Upton - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

2 More Errors For Upton

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

2 More Errors For Upton

Postby Prooks25 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:52 am

The problems are not going away for BJ. That's 4 errors for him now (1 fielding, 3 throwing) since he took over at 3rd base. This guy may never see the light of the major leagues unless he moves to the OF.
Prooks25
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2 More Errors For Upton

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:20 am

Prooks25 wrote:The problems are not going away for BJ. That's 4 errors for him now (1 fielding, 3 throwing) since he took over at 3rd base. This guy may never see the light of the major leagues unless he moves to the OF.

throwing errors are nothing to be concerned about...he just made a mistake, can happen to anyone just look at A-Rod...as for the fielding error he's just getting used to the new postion, everyone requires a learning curve

for you to suggest a drasitic move to get this guy to the majors seems a little rediculous to me...i wouldn't throw him under the bus just for a few bad plays...this guy still has all the talent in the world and will be a good major leaguer
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:35 am

is he still coming up for august-september?
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby teddyballgamemvp » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:51 am

The Drays do have Brignac and Zobrist so they can make room for him in the OF if they want.
Chris Iannetta was born on Krypton and transported to Earth as an infant and saves the universe when he's not getting on base every plate appearance.
teddyballgamemvp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Old_Style » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:11 am

good thing he doesn't play for the yankees or else they'd have his head for that :-D
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby JGarrison » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:43 am

I think if Weeks can play IF in the bigs, anyone can!
JGarrison
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Smileyman9 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:45 am

The only thing I can say about Upton playing the IF at some point in the near future is what my Yankee fanatic friend told me, which is that Derek Jeter also had his share of minor league SS errors.

I can't seem to locate a site that'll give me exact year by year info (apparently minor league stats for MLB players isn't in high demand).

What I did find was a article.

In 1993, Derek’s first full year in pro ball, he had a smashing season for Greensboro. He batted .295 with 30 extra-base hits and 71 RBIs, and was named the South Atlantic League’s top shortstop and second-best prospect....

The only cause for concern was Derek’s defense. He committed 56 errors, the third-worst mark in all of pro baseball. Many of these miscues came on plays other shortstop wouldn’t have even tried, however. Derek could do a jump-and-throw from the hole, gun guys out from his knees, and one-hand slow rollers. Still, he was not making the easy plays consistently enough. About halfway through the season (when Derek’s error total had already soared past 30), Gene Michael paid him a visit. He told Derek that as a shortstop in the Pittsburgh system during the 1960s, he had slogged through three 50-plus error campaigns in a row. He also advised him that the secret was to find that place between being relaxed in the field and being careless—his comfort zone. Derek was a different player after that..

Full bio on Jeter...

http://www.jockbio.com/Bios/Jeter/Jeter_bio.html

Granted, Jeter seems to have worked his way through the errors, while Upton has not yet
Smileyman9
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby bigwords » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:19 pm

Hope this means that my latest pick-up gets his shot sooner than later. According to CBS Sportsline:

Evan Longoria, 3B TB

News: 2006 top draft pick, 3B Evan Longoria, has hit 12 homers in his first 30 minor-league games.

Analysis: Longoria has instantly become one of the best prospects in baseball. He's a must-have in all long-term keeper leagues and might even be a candidate to make a Ryan Zimmerman-like impact this September -- draft to bigs in a matter of months. If that happens jump all over that bandwagon in almost any league. He's the real deal.
bigwords
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby killa3312 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:51 pm

bigwords wrote:Hope this means that my latest pick-up gets his shot sooner than later. According to CBS Sportsline:

Evan Longoria, 3B TB

News: 2006 top draft pick, 3B Evan Longoria, has hit 12 homers in his first 30 minor-league games.

Analysis: Longoria has instantly become one of the best prospects in baseball. He's a must-have in all long-term keeper leagues and might even be a candidate to make a Ryan Zimmerman-like impact this September -- draft to bigs in a matter of months. If that happens jump all over that bandwagon in almost any league. He's the real deal.

Where did you find that? I can't find it anywhere on sportsline.
killa3312
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Smileyman9 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:25 pm

That'd be one heck of an accomplishment for Longoria if he made it to the majors in one season...although, not to :-t the HR stat, 4 of those happend down the road from me with the Hudson Valley Renegades...2 of them happend the night I saw him play. Really, it was a treat to see him play because he was assigned to the Renegades only because Oaks was on All-Star break when he was signed and they wanted to get him some ABs rather then have him do nothing.

So yeah. My point here is that although he did great with the Renegades, he was WAY above the talent line - so those stats are easily inflated. I don't know about the rest of the league, but the Renegades are primarily made up of players who were drafted after the 6th round - yes, they did get Wade Townsend last season, but he hadn't pitched in a year and most likely would have been pushed up the ladder quickly if his arm wasn't a mess...(it's aim is to be a pitching prospect squad).

So with all of that said, this doe somewhat change Uptons distant future...but I'm not entirely certain he'll get the call up that quickly...
Smileyman9
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates