Jose Valverde Update - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jose Valverde Update

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby stumpak » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:19 pm

I disagree with this. Valerde developed some serious mechanical issues that needed to be worked out outside of the major league level. He has had substantial prior success as a closer and set-up guy. He clearly is their most talented reliever and is lights out when he is on, which has been his whole career save the issues he had in May.

If indeed the club asseses that he is straightened out, why not make your best guy the closer?

That said, I own McClung in a deep league, and I am not dropping him for Valverde. I also see no reason to assert that McClung is "crap". Sure he may not succeed as a closer - most guys don't. But just because he failed as an SP does not mean he will make a bad closer. By this logic, a person would have assessed Isringhausen, Gagne and Nathan as crap when they first started out as closers, and clearly this is not the case. He has also put up some pretty nice numbers in AAA out of the pen.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:58 pm

stumpak wrote:I disagree with this. Valerde developed some serious mechanical issues that needed to be worked out outside of the major league level. He has had substantial prior success as a closer and set-up guy. He clearly is their most talented reliever and is lights out when he is on, which has been his whole career save the issues he had in May.

If indeed the club asseses that he is straightened out, why not make your best guy the closer?

That said, I own McClung in a deep league, and I am not dropping him for Valverde. I also see no reason to assert that McClung is "crap". Sure he may not succeed as a closer - most guys don't. But just because he failed as an SP does not mean he will make a bad closer. By this logic, a person would have assessed Isringhausen, Gagne and Nathan as crap when they first started out as closers, and clearly this is not the case. He has also put up some pretty nice numbers in AAA out of the pen.

add McClung's 100 mph fastball and 3 quality major league pitches...I like McClung as closer.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 122)

Postby westcoast1973 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:25 pm

I meant this post as just a keep him on your radar post. I wouldn't drop anyone for him just yet. Since I own Valverde I'm hoping for the best, but I don't expect any moves are imminent.
westcoast1973
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby westcoast1973 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:58 pm

I guess the "experts" can't dig any deeper than overall ERA. This is from Eric Karabell's ESPN chat today:

rob (warwick): Eric, is the real Jorge Julio starting to reappear?

Eric Karabell: (10:11 AM ET ) I'd still say it's not a big deal, because every closer is entitled to a blowup or two, and really, last night was no blowup. Chase Utley might win player of July honors, he's been terrific, and he homered for the second time in the game to tie it. Julio's still safe. And if he's not, everyone likes to assume Brandon Medders is next in line, but I still think it'd be Brandon Lyon. By the way, Jose Valverde is not doing well in the minors."
westcoast1973
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers