Taylor Tankersley - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Taylor Tankersley

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Taylor Tankersley

Postby Gold Rush » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:43 am

Is this guy worth taking a second look at? He has nasty stuff, and his stats don't lie. Do you think there is any chance of him becoming the closer this season at some point? Or is he worth it in a keeper because Travis Bowyer is there long-term closer?

Just wondering if there is any reason to sublet a decent closer in Borowski for a guy with such sick stuff, like Detroit hasn't done with Zumaya
go 49ers!!!!!
Gold Rush
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Taylor Tankersley

Postby Los_Dodgers » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:55 am

Gold Rush wrote:Is this guy worth taking a second look at? He has nasty stuff, and his stats don't lie. Do you think there is any chance of him becoming the closer this season at some point? Or is he worth it in a keeper because Travis Bowyer is there long-term closer?

Just wondering if there is any reason to sublet a decent closer in Borowski for a guy with such sick stuff, like Detroit hasn't done with Zumaya

Detroit hasn't subbed in Zumaya because they are being stubborn and realizing that they were completely retarded in signing Jones to that contract, and they don't want to live with reality. Also, if Borowski continues to pitch well and avoids trades, Tankersley won't get a shot. I sure would like to see him get one, though,
Los_Dodgers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby in10s » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:05 am

I think Tankersley has a really good chance to be the Marlins closer.

Boyer? Who knows. He had a shoulder injury and hasn't pitched since 2005. So it is just a guess if he comes back, and if so, what he will pitch like.

Borowski is 35. Probably the right thing for the Marlins to do is trade him this week since everyone wants bullpen help. But even if not traded, the chances of injury, descreased performance, etc all increase with age.

There was just discussion in the pinned closer thread on this:
teddyballgamemvp wrote:
in10s wrote:teddyballgamemvp, I like Tankersley too. But what do you think about the conventional wisdom that says with few exceptions lefthanders can't be closers.

I think that's just random. BJ Ryan is a lefty. So is Wagner. And I'd take Santana and Liriano as my closer in a heartbeat (both former relievers). Tankersley hasn't given up hits to righties or lefties. The big difference is that he strikes out righties at a much better clip-- so he actually has a reverse split (a lefty who struggles-- only relatively-- against lefties).

P.S. And I want him to close because he's still available in my super-deep dynasty league!

in10s wrote:More on Taylor Tankersley, aged 23, lefty setupman and future closer. I didn't see the game, am just looking at tonights box score:

Entered in the 8th, Marlins winning 2-1 over the Braves. Faced Thorman (lefty), Langerhans (lefty), and A. Jones (righty)

10 pitches, 9 strikes.

3 strikeouts. 8-o

Granted that Thorman is a Rookie, and Langerhans is in the typical sophmore slump. But still, I wonder if Tankersley could be special. I've been watching him all year, and they have really brought him along well.

I'm watching him, he is on my keeper league roster, and I think he has a chance to get some closer chances this year, and maybe the full time closer next year.
in10s
College Coach
College Coach

Postby teddyballgamemvp » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:56 am

I decided I liked his upside and dropped Bush for him. He's young and has talent.
Chris Iannetta was born on Krypton and transported to Earth as an infant and saves the universe when he's not getting on base every plate appearance.
teddyballgamemvp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby saxeT1979 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:57 am

Check out this article.

http://wwb.baseball.sportsline.com/news/9571243

"The following players are reportedly not on the block now: Joe Borowski"

Say it aint so. I would love to see Tankersley close for the marlins. Has anyone else read anything proving otherwise?
saxeT1979
College Coach
College Coach

Postby acsguitar » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:25 am

saxeT1979 wrote:Check out this article.

Say it aint so. I would love to see Tankersley close for the marlins. Has anyone else read anything proving otherwise?

I don't trust a baseball writer who wears his hat backwards
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby teddyballgamemvp » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:43 am

The problem is that everyone is on the block every day-- for the right price. Grain meet salt.

Further, Girardi said he was going to see how his other younger options do in those situations later in the year. So, he'll at least have a tryout.
Chris Iannetta was born on Krypton and transported to Earth as an infant and saves the universe when he's not getting on base every plate appearance.
teddyballgamemvp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Diggs » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:19 pm

acsguitar wrote:

I don't trust a baseball writer who wears his hat backwards

Oh no? You accept advice from people on this board and I bet a lot of them wear there baseball caps backwards.

Just a thought .......
I am a New York Jets, New York Mets, and New York Knicks fan. I know misery like few other sports fans know ...
Diggs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers