Rickie Weeks (Merged) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Rickie Weeks (Merged)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby byfrcp » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:52 pm

Per RotoWorld

Rickie Weeks still felt soreness in his right wrist after trying to hit on Friday. He might be shut down for the year.

"It's hurting, so I didn't want to make it worse," Weeks said. "We had to hold off on the next step, and that's fine. I'm pretty much waiting to see what the doctor says. We'll go from there." Weeks is probably going to need surgery on the wrist, though there's still some chance that he'll be able to postpone until after the season. "I'm conditioning myself not to expect him to come back," GM Doug Melvin said. "If he comes back, it's great. You never know -- things can change. But we have seven weeks left." Aug. 4 - 10:18 pm et

Doesn't sounds very good, dammit, I need a better replacement than Josh Barfield :-t
byfrcp
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Loveable Losers » Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:08 pm

byfrcp wrote:Per RotoWorld

Rickie Weeks still felt soreness in his right wrist after trying to hit on Friday. He might be shut down for the year.

"It's hurting, so I didn't want to make it worse," Weeks said. "We had to hold off on the next step, and that's fine. I'm pretty much waiting to see what the doctor says. We'll go from there." Weeks is probably going to need surgery on the wrist, though there's still some chance that he'll be able to postpone until after the season. "I'm conditioning myself not to expect him to come back," GM Doug Melvin said. "If he comes back, it's great. You never know -- things can change. But we have seven weeks left." Aug. 4 - 10:18 pm et

Doesn't sounds very good, dammit, I need a better replacement than Josh Barfield :-t

Don't know how deep the league is but you might want to grab Betemit. I picked him up a bit ago and he's already hit one home run for me in a couple days. He may flourish with the full-time third base job given to him in LA now.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby Boyakasha » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:39 pm

So, is it safe to outright drop Weeks now, or should I wait for definite news that he's having surgery?
Boyakasha
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:43 pm

Boyakasha wrote:So, is it safe to outright drop Weeks now, or should I wait for definite news that he's having surgery?

With the sound of your league's depth I'd hang on to him for now. We should know fairly soon about the surgery decision and you can always drop Barfield for Betemit or whomever else you want as the fill-in.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby burniebrewer » Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:21 pm

From the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:

"St. Louis - The already slim chance that Milwaukee Brewers second baseman Rickie Weeks had of playing again this season decreased considerably Friday.

In his first activity since going on the disabled list a week ago, Weeks experienced more pain in his injured right wrist while hitting balls off a tee. Weeks was forced to stop the drill after a few swings, an indication that his season might be finished.

"It didn't go too good," manager Ned Yost said. "It's still hurting.

"We'll give it a little more time. We're trying to figure it out. We're not ready to give up on it yet."

That decision could come next week, after Weeks confers with team physician William Raasch. Weeks has a torn tendon sheath in the wrist that will require surgery at some point.

Weeks was told he can't do further damage by playing, leaving it to him to determine how much discomfort he can handle. Weeks has a high tolerance for pain, so it was not a good sign when he shut down the tee drill early.

"We definitely need him but we need him healthy," Yost said.

Yost said the injury was particularly tough for Weeks, an aggressive swinger who holds nothing back at the plate.

"There's not a lot of finesse in his swing," Yost said. "He's real 'wristy,' a power-type guy."

In 95 games before going on the DL, Weeks batted .279 with eight homers and 34 RBI, and led the club with 73 runs scored and 19 stolen bases. Newly acquired infielder Tony Graffanino has played second base in his absence.

General manager Doug Melvin said Weeks would meet with Raasch to assess the situation and decide if it makes any sense to continue to try to play.

"(Raasch) will ask about the level of pain tolerance and discomfort," Melvin said. "There will be some discussion about what to do."

Melvin said he knew all along there was a chance Weeks was finished for the season. He said the same held true for third baseman Corey Koskie, who remains at home with post-concussion syndrome.

"I conditioned myself not to expect them to be back, both (Weeks) and Koskie," said Melvin, who traded for Philadelphia third baseman David Bell and Graffanino to ease infield crisis. "Things can change. There's still seven weeks left (in the season)."
burniebrewer
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates