Is Garza a different kind of animal? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Is Garza a different kind of animal?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Galt » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:10 pm

Since there seems to be a new thread every time Garza or Gallardo pitch a game....

Tonight against the extremely solid Durham team, Garza only pitched 5 innings. 2 ER, 4 hits, 1BB, 1K. Durham scored both of their runs in the first inning.

Only 1 K is very surprising, but he was solid otherwise. It's not like he was having problems with the Bulls, so my wild guess is that after the 126 pitch effort on Tuesday, they are conserving him, hopefully to help the Twins shortly*

*Or maybe they pulled him because he got traded.
Galt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chargerss24 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:08 am

I just dropped Ian Stewart for Matt Garza. I believe that Garza will be in the majors before Stewart. Good move?
chargerss24
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

Postby mcqfesijiba » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:34 am

Galt wrote:Since there seems to be a new thread every time Garza or Gallardo pitch a game....

Tonight against the extremely solid Durham team, Garza only pitched 5 innings. 2 ER, 4 hits, 1BB, 1K. Durham scored both of their runs in the first inning.

Only 1 K is very surprising, but he was solid otherwise. It's not like he was having problems with the Bulls, so my wild guess is that after the 126 pitch effort on Tuesday, they are conserving him, hopefully to help the Twins shortly*

*Or maybe they pulled him because he got traded.
To be more specific, he only threw 69 pitches (43 for strikes). So you definitely have to think that he was being limited due to his previous outing.

I'm also of the opinion that they are NOT going to trade Garza, so I doubt that's the reason.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Garza

Postby hoopitup21212 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:13 pm

Is it possible Garza can crack the top 5 in the Twins' starting rotation this season if called up within the next two weeks?
SGMKL
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=163
"When Chuck Norris jumps in an ocean he doesnt get wet, the water gets chuck."
hoopitup21212
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Garza

Postby mcqfesijiba » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:57 am

hoopitup21212 wrote:Is it possible Garza can crack the top 5 in the Twins' starting rotation this season if called up within the next two weeks?
Liriano is having an issue with his forearm (it was previously reported to be his elbow, but will hopefully be nothing serious and only cause him to miss one start), Scott Baker is throwing batting practice and getting crushed by opposing hitters, and Brad Radke apparently has a tear in his labrum (but says he will pitch through the pain). Bonser is coming up for at least one start, but he hasn't exactly been stellar in the starts he has had for the Twins despite success in AAA.

I would say that there is a good chance that Garza gets some starts this year with the direction the Twins pitching is going at the moment.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Nice

Postby hoopitup21212 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:11 pm

That would be sweet ;-D
SGMKL
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=163
"When Chuck Norris jumps in an ocean he doesnt get wet, the water gets chuck."
hoopitup21212
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Galt » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:28 pm

Bonser just got blown up today.

Here's my call. If Liriano is healthy, Garza will come up sooner rather than later (before 8/15) and start. If Liriano is not healthy, they will wait to bring up Garza until 9/1 and may even pitch him out of the bullpen to conserve his arm. Because if Liriano is hurt, then the Twins are done. They have no shot this year.

Nothing will happen with Garza for the next few days. He'll be ready to pitch this weekend (Sunday I think it is) in AAA.

If Liriano actually pitches his next game (currently set to be Sunday or Monday) and comes out fine and healthy, then there will still be in the chase, and with the death of healthy, effective starters in Minnesota, they will bring Garza up.

If Liriano gets delayed, they will continue to throw Bonser, Baker, Silva et al out there and just let Garza simmer to perfection AAA ready to make an impact next year.

No reason to rush him through to the majors this year, if there is no reason for it.
Galt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby PlayingWithFire » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:40 pm

Mark Swarzak has been amazing lately ;-)
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Slow Pitch » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:04 pm

Garza or Hughes in a keeper?
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Postby winterball22 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:16 pm

I think you can't go wrong with either one. Hughes will have more run support. Garza should hit the majors earlier then Hughes.
winterball22
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Minor League & College Baseball