Home Cafe: Football

Postby p32bars » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:19 am

Means I don't have to search for a 1B on the WW. ;-D
p32bars
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby rmande09 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:04 pm

The Weaver and Maddux comps need to go. I know this is a Kendrick thread and I apologize, but this isn't the first time I've seen samo make this comment. You're right - hitters say, "Why can't we hit this guy?," about Weaver and Maddux, but the comparison ends there. Jered is half the pitcher Maddux is and was. Weaver's fastball is better now, but back in the day, Maddux sat 91 with unreal movement. Weaver works at 91, tops at 93. I saw him for the second time yesterday and the ONLY reason he has been this successful thus far is the deception in his wind-up. After teams see him two, three, four times, see you later. He'll fall right back down to where he was projected - a middle-of-the-rotation starter. He throws a FLAT four seamer at 90-92, topping at 93, a two-seamer with LITTLE one plane movement at 89-90, and his "slurve" is around 83 with slow, easy break. The spin is loose and the break is not sharp. His change is not good and his curve is his second best pitch, at 79-80, 11-to-6 break, but still, not sharp or tight. He can be successful at changing arm angles, but can only throw his two-seam and slurve for strikes from his sidearm angle and he gives the curve away via over-pronation of the wrist. His control is not Maddux', the movement is not even close to Maddux', and his stuff is not as good as Maddux'. Comparing the two should be ended, if for any reason than the fact that Maddux deserves more than to be seriously compared to a guy who's made 8 starts in the bigs.
C: Pierzynski
1B: Pujols
2B: Altuve
3B: Miggy
SS: HanRam
OF (x3): CarGo, M. Bourn, D. Jennings
UTIL (x2): E. Encarnacion, C. Hart
BN: Cuddyer, C. Ross, J. Montero

SP: Price, Gallardo, T. Hudson, Lester
RP: Chapman, Jansen, Rodney, Putz, Cishek, Bailey
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby scr » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:42 pm

Count me in as another guy who took your advice on Kendrick when no one in my league heard of him, johnsamo...Thanks.

I also grabbed Napoli as a keeper for a buck. I am hoping your analysis sticks. Thanks again.
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby deerayfan072 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:15 pm

i hope howie plays 1B a little longer and i get 1B and 2B elig for next year with him ;-D
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 60)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jswede » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:50 pm

rmande09 wrote:The Weaver and Maddux comps need to go. I know this is a Kendrick thread and I apologize, but this isn't the first time I've seen samo make this comment. You're right - hitters say, "Why can't we hit this guy?," about Weaver and Maddux, but the comparison ends there. Jered is half the pitcher Maddux is and was. Weaver's fastball is better now, but back in the day, Maddux sat 91 with unreal movement. Weaver works at 91, tops at 93. I saw him for the second time yesterday and the ONLY reason he has been this successful thus far is the deception in his wind-up. After teams see him two, three, four times, see you later. He'll fall right back down to where he was projected - a middle-of-the-rotation starter. He throws a FLAT four seamer at 90-92, topping at 93, a two-seamer with LITTLE one plane movement at 89-90, and his "slurve" is around 83 with slow, easy break. The spin is loose and the break is not sharp. His change is not good and his curve is his second best pitch, at 79-80, 11-to-6 break, but still, not sharp or tight. He can be successful at changing arm angles, but can only throw his two-seam and slurve for strikes from his sidearm angle and he gives the curve away via over-pronation of the wrist. His control is not Maddux', the movement is not even close to Maddux', and his stuff is not as good as Maddux'. Comparing the two should be ended, if for any reason than the fact that Maddux deserves more than to be seriously compared to a guy who's made 8 starts in the bigs.

yea - a little early on the Maddux comp, imo. He reminds me a lot of Nomo, who also had that deceptive delivery and low-90s fastball, all pitches with good movement. Nomo was lights out for a season, good in the second, then average for most of the rest of his career.

Let teams get used to his deceptive delivery and see him a few more times and my thoughts are he won't be so dominating at all.
jswede
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bologna_sandwich » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:17 pm

In my league, player has to play 20 games at a position in order to gain eligibility. Howie's got 6 at first.

Question:
Will he play 14 more games at first?

He's not worth a pickup if he doesnt gain this eligibility.
bologna_sandwich
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby johnsamo » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:15 pm

Probably, the way it looks, when the Angels face righty pitchers, he's the 1b.... That depends of course on how long Scioscia keeps playing Kennedy.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates