Am I the only one who doesn't care about MVP and Cy Youngs? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Am I the only one who doesn't care about MVP and Cy Youngs?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Am I the only one who doesn't care about MVP and Cy Youngs?

Postby HOOTIE » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:31 am

johnsamo wrote:Especially MVP. what is that? THe best player or the most valuable player to his team?

The best player would be the most valuable to his team, hence the mvp.

I felt bad for Clemens last year.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Re: Am I the only one who doesn't care about MVP and Cy Youn

Postby rozzz5 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:57 am

Matthias wrote:
The Big Stick wrote:
johnsamo wrote:To me, the only trophies and awards should be for teams, divisional titles, Pennants, world Series...

ROY, MVP, CY.... It;s part performance, part geography, part politics, part personality... I don't know why people get worked up about it. The numbers are noted for the record. If a pitcher goes 25-2, a 2.00 ERA and 250Ks. does he really need a trophy? Everybody knows he kicked ass that year. We could stlll use the term a "Cy Youngish" year, but what's the point really. Especially MVP. what is that? THe best player or the most valuable player to his team?

I am not for or against individual awards. Having said that I do like to see players who are deserving carve there names in history. That is as much part of sports as the game itself.

that's how i feel. it says something that clemens has won 6 cy's. and it's a nice little reference. if there was no individual awards, you may or may not know who had a cy young-quality year in 1974, but if you're a stathead, you know who won the cy young.

that said, i like the cy young better than the mvp simply b/c of how the mvp gets voted. you can almost never make it if you aren't on a playoff team, which is just wrong. mvp = the player, at the end of the year, every manager would have said they wanted on their roster that year. but that's just a quibble with the mvp award itself.

Actually I believe it's 7
rozzz5
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers