Elmer Dessens traded for Odalis Perez and 2 ML's - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Elmer Dessens traded for Odalis Perez and 2 ML's

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby NatsFan10 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:05 pm

davidmarver wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:
davidmarver wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:this trade made the mac trade look horrible.

How? The prospects in the MacDougal trade are better than the prospects in this trade, and it isn't like Odalis is going to do anything useful anytime soon. To be honest, I think both deals were good ones for the Royals, who seem to be giving their minor league pitching a nice jolt; now only if Hochevar would sign.

first, Mac is a better pitcher than Dessen, he's also cheaper and just reached arbitration.

second, we get Odalis Perez, who was a pretty decent pitcher for a couple years recently and has a world of talent. Who's already in the majors. That's our ace right there. Those prospects aren't as good but having Odalis is a plus.

As long as we're on the subject of money, while the Dodgers will pick up a portion of his contract this season, the Royals are on the hook for all $7.75 million next season, not to mention a $1.5 million buyout if they want to release him after the 2007 season -- which they do -- and not pay him the $8+ million he's due in 2008. Dessens, on the other hand, will make just $1.5 million next season.

So, actually, the MacDougal deal was better financially for the Royals, while it brought the best prospects of the two deals, as well.

I guess you missed the part about LA kicking in $8 mill to help cover the rest of his contract this year and next year?
NatsFan10
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby davidmarver » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:14 pm

NatsFan10 wrote:
davidmarver wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:
davidmarver wrote:

How? The prospects in the MacDougal trade are better than the prospects in this trade, and it isn't like Odalis is going to do anything useful anytime soon. To be honest, I think both deals were good ones for the Royals, who seem to be giving their minor league pitching a nice jolt; now only if Hochevar would sign.

first, Mac is a better pitcher than Dessen, he's also cheaper and just reached arbitration.

second, we get Odalis Perez, who was a pretty decent pitcher for a couple years recently and has a world of talent. Who's already in the majors. That's our ace right there. Those prospects aren't as good but having Odalis is a plus.

As long as we're on the subject of money, while the Dodgers will pick up a portion of his contract this season, the Royals are on the hook for all $7.75 million next season, not to mention a $1.5 million buyout if they want to release him after the 2007 season -- which they do -- and not pay him the $8+ million he's due in 2008. Dessens, on the other hand, will make just $1.5 million next season.

So, actually, the MacDougal deal was better financially for the Royals, while it brought the best prospects of the two deals, as well.

I guess you missed the part about LA kicking in $8 mill to help cover the rest of his contract this year and next year?

There's about 13 million left, including this season and the buyout, so 8 million won't cover everything; he costs more than Dessens. I'm not saying the deal is bad, it just isn't as good as the MacDougal deal that dumped an arbitration eligible reliever for solid prospects.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby NatsFan10 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:16 pm

davidmarver wrote:
NatsFan10 wrote:
davidmarver wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:
davidmarver wrote:

There's about 13 million left, including this season and the buyout, so 8 million won't cover everything; he costs more than Dessens. I'm not saying the deal is bad, it just isn't as good as the MacDougal deal that dumped an arbitration eligible reliever for solid prospects.

Of course KC will have to pay something, they're not just getting Perez for free for the next year and a half. But you said that were on the hook for $7.75 mill next year which isn't the case. When you factor in that they get Perez, the two young arms, AND $8 mill, it looks like a steal to me.
NatsFan10
College Coach
College Coach

Postby PlayingWithFire » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:17 pm

davidmarver wrote:
NatsFan10 wrote:
davidmarver wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:
davidmarver wrote:

Solid prospect are exactly what they are. In this deal we get a MLB ready(though expensive) that has shown signs of brilliance and has been quite good in the past. He might be an ass, but an ass don't go well in the KC clubhouse and I think the veterans can make him less of an ass(let's hope) and if he just go back to what he did 2 years ago, Dayton Moore would be undressing the Dodgers GM in this deal. And we still get 2 decent prospect in the deal. Not like we got anything great in the White Sox deal anyway.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Los_Dodgers » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:19 pm

Ugh, I knew he was worthless, but I wish we didn't have to give prospects, even though they aren't even that highly touted at all. Still the thoughts of giving ANY type of prospects, even coupled with Odalis, for Dessens is heartbreaking.
Los_Dodgers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers