Elmer Dessens traded for Odalis Perez and 2 ML's - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Elmer Dessens traded for Odalis Perez and 2 ML's

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby stumpak » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:19 pm

Perez is a clubhouse cancer - selfish with little heart. The fact that a team in a pennant race is shedding him speaks volumes about the extent to which the Dodgers believed that he was a pervasive negative influence.

He is a decent starter, but I have always thought that he gets more credit than he should due to to flashes of brilliance and "potential". The fact of the matter is that Perez is not young anymore and is now and never will be anything better than a middling MLB starter. He is just plain erratic.

Nice to have for sure, but probably not worth sacrificing the clubhouse for. Same rationale the Jays used with Hillenbrand.

Sicne giving DePodesta the boot, the Dodgers have shown an inclination to preserve clubhouse chemistry at all costs, as evidenced by the Bradley trade and their lack of interest in Hillenbrand, even though they desperately need to upgrade Izturis at 3B.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arrowhead Nation » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:20 pm

Being reported here that the Cash # KC got was 8 million....more than 1/2 of what Perez was owed.
Arrowhead Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby davidmarver » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:51 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:this trade made the mac trade look horrible.

How? The prospects in the MacDougal trade are better than the prospects in this trade, and it isn't like Odalis is going to do anything useful anytime soon. To be honest, I think both deals were good ones for the Royals, who seem to be giving their minor league pitching a nice jolt; now only if Hochevar would sign.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:56 pm

i am kind of disappointed because there will be fewer at bats in which to witness albert pujols flat out owning odie perez.
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Drunken Rhino » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:08 pm

do people see Dessens getting more holds? That's my only interest in this trade.
Drunken Rhino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby SeovyeQuirsefron » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:08 pm

I couldn't be happier to be rid of Perez. Heartless. Hopeless. Even in his best days, he often pitched just good enough to lose.

Even with the Dodgers continuing to pay his '06 salary and part of '07 (the $8 million), I'm glad anybody was willing to take this whiner off our hands.

Dessens is entirely beside the point. If he helps the Dodgers at all, it'll be a bonus. If not, we still got rid of O'Crappy.
A baseball fan has the digestive apparatus of a billy goat. He can, and does, devour any set of diamond statistics with insatiable appetite and then nuzzles hungrily for more. ~Arthur Daley
SeovyeQuirsefron
College Coach
College Coach

Postby PlayingWithFire » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:10 pm

davidmarver wrote:

How? The prospects in the MacDougal trade are better than the prospects in this trade, and it isn't like Odalis is going to do anything useful anytime soon. To be honest, I think both deals were good ones for the Royals, who seem to be giving their minor league pitching a nice jolt; now only if Hochevar would sign.

first, Mac is a better pitcher than Dessen, he's also cheaper and just reached arbitration.

second, we get Odalis Perez, who was a pretty decent pitcher for a couple years recently and has a world of talent. Who's already in the majors. That's our ace right there. Those prospects aren't as good but having Odalis is a plus.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby davidmarver » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:29 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:
davidmarver wrote:

first, Mac is a better pitcher than Dessen, he's also cheaper and just reached arbitration.

second, we get Odalis Perez, who was a pretty decent pitcher for a couple years recently and has a world of talent. Who's already in the majors. That's our ace right there. Those prospects aren't as good but having Odalis is a plus.

As long as we're on the subject of money, while the Dodgers will pick up a portion of his contract this season, the Royals are on the hook for all $7.75 million next season, not to mention a $1.5 million buyout if they want to release him after the 2007 season -- which they do -- and not pay him the $8+ million he's due in 2008. Dessens, on the other hand, will make just $1.5 million next season.

So, actually, the MacDougal deal was better financially for the Royals, while it brought the best prospects of the two deals, as well.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby PlayingWithFire » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:45 pm

davidmarver wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:
davidmarver wrote:

As long as we're on the subject of money, while the Dodgers will pick up a portion of his contract this season, the Royals are on the hook for all $7.75 million next season, not to mention a $1.5 million buyout if they want to release him after the 2007 season -- which they do -- and not pay him the $8+ million he's due in 2008. Dessens, on the other hand, will make just $1.5 million next season.

So, actually, the MacDougal deal was better financially for the Royals, while it brought the best prospects of the two deals, as well.

in no way am I saying that Odalis is worth that many money, but he's a useful major league pitcher who is probably our ace now(sad). He's had seasons where his ERA is top 10 in the National Leagues. As to those prospects, the White Sox' ones are better, but really, you don't know how pitching prospect will pay off, they might never reach the majors.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Arrowhead Nation » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:42 pm

The fact that we have to decide which trade is better based on years to arbitration is the sickening part. No trade will look good until Glass changes his ways or sells the team.
Arrowhead Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers