Tino Martinez
3%
Jeff Brantley
No votes
Other Contributors I Forgot
4%

Total votes : 80

Postby cobbs87 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:41 am

I like Gammons best. I think the heat Gammons takes should be directed at Buster Onley. I think he makes up the most stuff. Kurkjan is also great. He is like a slightly less old Gammons in my eyes. They are both extremely knowledgable. The bold predictions and rumor inciting are just part of the ESPN gig. I liked Harold as far as the personality he brought. Kruks sucks. Ship him out. Steve Phillips I want to fight in a darkened ally for a number of reasons. Ravech is a mediator. Thats all hes good for. Tino is a little goofy but he is a Yankee legend and thus gets two ;-D ;-D .

Oh and did anyone mention Orestes Destrada? He is better than I thought initially. Not the best but still good.
cobbs87
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby UncleIvan » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:45 am

Harold for the charisma

Orel for the speedy insight based on experience, smarts, and knowledge of baseball

Gammons and Kurkjian for the baseball connections and business side

Oh yeah, and Kruk FTL
UncleIvan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Old_Style » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:51 am

whoseyourdaddy12 wrote:why did Kruk come to baseball tonight anyways? He should go back to Best Damn.

i guess he couldn't take the fat jokes anymore :-D

my vote goes to the bulldog ;-D
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby buminabox » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:01 am

I didn't think Reynolds was very good at all. He was better than Kruk, but he never struck me as very knowledgeable about the game.

Gammons and Hershieser are by far the most knowledgable commentators. They have great knowledge of the game.
buminabox
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Apollo » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:44 am

Give me the real journalists any day: Gammons, Kurkjian, Olney. Ravech does a fantastic job as a host with all the idiots he is forced to work with, though I sometimes get the feeling that his soul is slowly dying inside while he listens to Kruk speak.

Most of the players just come off as dumb. Everyone makes a big deal out of the insight that comes with playing the game, but what do they have, really? They can recite by rote exactly what their coaches told them to do twenty years ago, and they can tell stories about former players. Give me a man that has done some real research and can form a coherent sentence.

The exception to the "former players" rule is Orel. He knows quite a bit about pitching that the average player does not. He communicates well, and he comes off as very intelligent, which is a rarity on TV these days.
Apollo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby thedude » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:04 pm

Apollo wrote:Most of the players just come off as dumb. Everyone makes a big deal out of the insight that comes with playing the game, but what do they have, really? They can recite by rote exactly what their coaches told them to do twenty years ago, and they can tell stories about former players. Give me a man that has done some real research and can form a coherent sentence.

Amen brother.

If you insist on having a player on the show, who did more than stare into to his beer bottle as a player.

Example: Schilling would would fit better on BBTN than David Wells. Wells might be more charasmatic than Schilling (or at least as much so as kruk), but he has never put the same effort into studying the game.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby cobbs87 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:20 pm

I think Don Mattingly would be good on BBTN. Of course it all depends on how dull he is. But the man knows his stuff and wouldn't need to cover it up by trying to entertain everyone.
cobbs87
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby Drunken Rhino » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:32 pm

I voted for Kruk b/c he makes me laugh and he entertains when he's on TV. True, most of the stuff he says is idiotic, but you're supposed to say idiotic stuff when you're an idiot.

I mean most of us here in the cafe have our own in depth opinions of players b/c we've all done some serious research. We like the on-air personalities that tend to agree with the research we've done ourselves and dislike those whose analysis disagrees with our own.

I like the analysis that Olney, Kurkijian and Gammons do and think they are by far the most knowledgable about the game and business part of baseball. And I think Ravech does a good job hosting.

As for the former players, I thought HR had the best combo of personality and actual analysis. But Kruk is still the most entertaining and that's why I voted for him.
Drunken Rhino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers