My recent work - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Fantasy Logo & Avatar Requests

My recent work

Moderators: deluxe_247, kimchi_chigae, Mookie4ever, Baseball Moderators

My recent work

Postby Red Sox Nation » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:37 pm

Aside from the fact that they're probably not the size that can fit on FBC, could you C/C and rate (out of 10, 10 being the best) these please? Thanks.

Red Sox Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chargersfan36 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:55 pm

Wright gets 5/10. The bg is just brushing. It looks like you've got one layer of color. The text is bad, pic is blurry, and cut is bad.

Carpenter gets 5/10 for the same exact reasons.

I'll give the av a 6/10, the text is brutal but the rest isn't that bad.

In the future, add some pic effects, lighting, stock photos, gradients, and different coloring effects. You'll learn text in time.
chargersfan36
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

Postby Red Sox Nation » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:47 pm

chargersfan36 wrote:Wright gets 5/10. The bg is just brushing. It looks like you've got one layer of color. The text is bad, pic is blurry, and cut is bad.

Carpenter gets 5/10 for the same exact reasons.

I'll give the av a 6/10, the text is brutal but the rest isn't that bad.

In the future, add some pic effects, lighting, stock photos, gradients, and different coloring effects. You'll learn text in time.

Lol. Yeah, I can't cut very well and it takes me a good 2 hours to cut a good one and I'm somewhat too lazy to do that. :-°

As for the BG, it is just brushes. I'm not that good at using lots of layers and making stuff like other people.

I guess I could work on that stuff. :-) I'm not exactly sure what you mean by all that stuff (pic effects, lighting, stock photos, etc), enlighten me.
Red Sox Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby chargersfan36 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:19 pm

Pic effect IMO is basically to make the player "look cool". A simple pic effect is to duplicate the pic layer, put the top on soft light, and desaturate the bottom. There are tons of things you could try. Adjust the pics levels (ctrl + l), curves (ctrl + m I think), hue/saturation (ctrl + u), and brightness/contrast (ctrl + b I think). Also play with blending modes on duplicated layers.

Use lighting to bring the viewers eye to the pic. You usually want to make the area where the pic is to be bright and the other areas dark. You can do this by selecting the pic layer, and choosing Filter > Render > Lighting Effects (play around with that until you understand how it works), or you can take a default, soft, circle brush, and brush with white on overlay on a new layer (and possible black away from the pic). Or you could use gradients to add lighting. I usually use black to transparent and white to transparent, sometimes white to black.

Use stock photos to add depth. Filter them and find a good blending mode for them. You can also adjust their levels, curves, hue/saturation, and brightness/contrast like you do with pics. You can find pics on google, deviantart.com, or if you ever just see an interesting pic with interesting lighting and texture, save it for later use.

Hopefully this helps. If you need any more help, talk to me on AIM: sdpadsnbolts or just send me a PM.
chargersfan36
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

Postby Red Sox Nation » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:41 pm

Here's 2 sigs that I made based from your tutorial on your site. I hope you don't mind me using your cuts.

Red Sox Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby chargersfan36 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:58 pm

Looking better. I recommend you keep your sigs to one pic. They both look nice, but could be better. Text on both is horrible, but I really like the coloring on the Pujols. But the lighting on him is a little too strong, it goes from white too black too quickly. The filter on the bg also doesn't really go with the pic.

These look better. Keep trying new things and you'll make some nice stuff. Hopefully I'm able to right another tutorial soon, my outcome for that one has things I need to change :-b.

And as for using my pics, go ahead, that's what they're there for.
chargersfan36
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:50 pm

Red Sox Nation wrote:Here's 2 sigs that I made based from your tutorial on your site. I hope you don't mind me using your cuts.

great job on these! gettin good fast!
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:03 pm

lower the noise on your text....the text is absolutely mortifying...if your text was better, the overall look of the sigs would increase dramtically..

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Red Sox Nation » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:52 am

Yeah, my text isn't all that great. I do need to work on that. Meh.
Red Sox Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The_Met_Threat » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:51 am

Snakes Gould wrote:lower the noise on your text....the text is absolutely mortifying...if your text was better, the overall look of the sigs would increase dramtically..

I still, to this day, have not been able to find one good reason to use noise, and i hate when i see it in other sigs.
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Fantasy Logo & Avatar Requests