better shortstop of the future for MY team... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

better shortstop of the future for MY team...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:47 am

rmande09 wrote:I am one who thinks Upton will hit .270-.280. Wood should hit around .270. I think both will move off SS to 3B, and I think Upton will be more valuable because there are no 3Bs who can swipe 60 bags.

Really? You think Upton's defense will be good enough to stick even at 3rd?

I think he's a future outfielder. I think Wood, if he gets moved, is moved to 3b.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:56 am

Absolutely Adequate wrote:
rmande09 wrote:I am one who thinks Upton will hit .270-.280. Wood should hit around .270. I think both will move off SS to 3B, and I think Upton will be more valuable because there are no 3Bs who can swipe 60 bags.

I think he's a future outfielder. I think Wood, if he gets moved, is moved to 3b.

AA, you really need to see Upton play defense. It is hard to imagine a guy that is so smooth looking on the field and athletically gifted to make so many bone headed throws. On plays when he has to move 5 steps to his right and throw off his knees to first, he can throw an absolute bullet for a strike. But on plays that are 2 hoppers right to him, he takes the extra second and throws the ball 10 foot past the first basemen. The skills are actually there for him to be a great defensive player at 3b and possibly even SS, but it is all in his head at this time. I think in the end, Upton does indeed end up full time at 3b, just to mainly take a bit of the thinking out of the game for him.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:09 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
Absolutely Adequate wrote:

AA, you really need to see Upton play defense. It is hard to imagine a guy that is so smooth looking on the field and athletically gifted to make so many bone headed throws. On plays when he has to move 5 steps to his right and throw off his knees to first, he can throw an absolute bullet for a strike. But on plays that are 2 hoppers right to him, he takes the extra second and throws the ball 10 foot past the first basemen. The skills are actually there for him to be a great defensive player at 3b and possibly even SS, but it is all in his head at this time. I think in the end, Upton does indeed end up full time at 3b, just to mainly take a bit of the thinking out of the game for him.

Maybe. But I think the last sentence you wrote is kind of how I feel about it. I think the head problems are going to move him to DH to begin his career, at the very least. Then maybe a move to either 3b or the OF, depending on what the Rays do with their still impressive logjam out there.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby rmande09 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:55 pm

killercars, I may have exaggerated a bit. He may reach 60 once in his career (if he learns how to steal bases) with the way the DRays, love to run, but I'd expect him to consistently be between 40-50.
C: Pierzynski
1B: Pujols
2B: Altuve
3B: Miggy
SS: HanRam
OF (x3): CarGo, M. Bourn, D. Jennings
UTIL (x2): E. Encarnacion, C. Hart
BN: Cuddyer, C. Ross, J. Montero

SP: Price, Gallardo, T. Hudson, Lester
RP: Chapman, Jansen, Rodney, Putz, Cishek, Bailey
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby killercars » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:25 pm

oh, you all are amazing... i really appreciate the input...

always listening to new thoughts...

jhonny.

i've been on raiders side of the bj "defensive" issue... i can see wood moving to 3rd sooner since it's more of a power position, and i do NOT believe in mcpherson... where, i know not immediately, but they've got longoria and (someone else - can't think of his name) down in TB... so.
killercars
College Coach
College Coach

players

Postby oakiedragon » Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:50 am

Ok. My thoughts on it are this. Upton is ready right now, he is just not there because his poor d and a team of retarded monkeys run the front office of TB. Wood still has not played a full season in triple A and is putting up good numbers but hardly the numbers that made him or really keep him a top 3 prospect. Personally I would go with upton, he has the potential to hit for power, has the speed to steal bases and i believe will develop decent avg. potential. If he adds more strength i think a Soriano comp is a fair judgement, but thats of course assuming he succeeds. Wood i have always been skeptical of. I was never able to jump on the bandwagon because it just didn't fit for me. Last season while quite remarkable was not anything like he had preformed in the past and somewhat since. Prior to Last season he never hit more than 11 hr in a season, had a sub par avg. at .251 and was playing at a lower level. This season appears to be the combo of those two seasons where his hitting fora respectable avg. decent hr, and such but not overwhelming like ppl expected. A major concern i have with him is his one true consistancy which is his horrible k/bb ratio almost 3:1 every season. So as his opponents get better his avg should drop. I also dont think he will remain at ss as long as aybar is there. Aybar is now overshadowed because of how big wood blew up last year. But he was a Top ss prospect prior to wood and now has dropped low on the radar. But he is a superior ss to wood. IF aybar doesnt get traded then i expect wood to move to 3b since the halos have given up on mcpherson and aybar will be ss. Upton has a better chance because he demands to stay there and they just drafted longoria, however if his errors persist then like sori he will be shifted to the OF against his will. But in the end go with Upton a much safer choice and i think bigger upside.
oakiedragon
College Coach
College Coach

Postby winterball22 » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:49 am

Have you considered starting a new thread, asking who you should keep? I'm not familiar with H2H, but if I had Wood and Upton, I would be trying to keep both of them some how. Their potential is amazing.
I'm not sure if will effect your decision, but it seams that the rays are reconsidering calling up Upton, due to his, Dukes and Young's comments about the organisation. He may remain in AAA until September.
winterball22
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby killercars » Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:14 pm

well... again...i thank you guys sooo much... the trade deadline is 2 days away, and both are still with me... it appears it will stay that way for the foreseeable future...

i wasn't blown away with any offers, so... they will stay with me until i perhaps do....

now... i've got lugo at short who's playing out of his head, so i've got to figure out some way to get both kendrick and upton in the lineup with only 1 util... hmmm... but that's not so much your problem... thanks again.

jhonny.
killercars
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hybrid » Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:58 pm

rmande09 wrote:I am one who thinks Upton will hit .270-.280.p Wood should hit around .270. I think both will move off SS to 3B, and I think Upton will be more valuable because there are no 3Bs who can swipe 60 bags.

Just curious as to why you think that. He has always hit for average except this year, which I think can be greatly attributed to him worrying more about defense than his hitting.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Previous

Return to Minor League & College Baseball