Harold Reynolds FIRED by ESPN - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Harold Reynolds FIRED by ESPN

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby byfrcp » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:07 pm

Have you ever seen these sexual harrasment education videos? They are almost comedies, They show "Joe" and "Bob" looking at "Mary" bend down and put paper in the copy machine. "Joe" says to "Bob" "I really like "Mary's" skirt..." And "Bob" looks over, "Mary" overhears this and goes to the Boss to file sexual harrassment.
byfrcp
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Drunken Rhino » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:08 pm

Can we get this thread back to Harold and how much he will or will not be missed on ESPN?
Drunken Rhino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby byfrcp » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:12 pm

The former Gold Glove-winning second baseman, a member of the "Baseball Tonight" team for 11 years, said he didn't do anything to warrant his dismissal and wants his job back.

"It was a total misunderstanding," Reynolds told the Post. "My goal is to sit down and get back. To be honest with you, I gave a woman a hug and I felt like it was misinterpreted."

According to Harold we won't have to miss him long anyways. And who am I to not believe a Gold Glove winner???
byfrcp
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:12 pm

Drunken Rhino wrote:Can we get this thread back to Harold and how much he will or will not be missed on ESPN?

Please. I'd hate to see this thread get locked down on the account of people not staying on target here with the subject matter. I really have a hard time imagining a world on ESPN's Baseball Tonite that doesn't include Harold Reynolds and Peter Gammons. While I realize Gammons could be back behind the desk someday in the future should he have a full recovery, it's obvious Reynolds will never be back. Personally, I always enjoyed Reynold's wit and commentary, and though I didn't always agree with him, I think that's one of the things about him that made him enjoyable. He wasn't always predictable and on-target. Hopefully he learns something from this experience and moves forward somewhere else.
Dr. Duran Duran
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafecasterTrivia Time Trial Champion
Home Cafe: Football

Postby in10s » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:21 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:
Drunken Rhino wrote:Can we get this thread back to Harold and how much he will or will not be missed on ESPN?

Please. .... I really have a hard time imagining a world on ESPN's Baseball Tonite that doesn't include Harold Reynolds and Peter Gammons. While I realize Gammons could be back behind the desk someday in the future should he have a full recovery,

I just finished another another long reply for byfrcp about the off topic rant, but checked for new posting before I sent it.

So, I will defer to the people who want to talk about Harold being missed and the change to ESPN.

byfrcp, if you want to continue this, PM and I'll try to edcuate you on how little you know about this topic.

As for missing Harold, I miss Gammons more, and hope he does come back, since who knows with the type of condition he has. (Although last I read he was doing good)

I'm not sure I'll miss Harold, he always kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

The big question is who will replace him? I love Tino as a person, ballplayer, but god I hope not him. My guess is that we won't see new faces during the season. They will move the people they have around. (so yes, more Tino.) It seems like off season, when announcers shuffle jobs between teams/radio stations etc will be when they might try to find someone new.
in10s
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Coppermine » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:32 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:

Please. I'd hate to see this thread get locked down on the account of people not staying on target here with the subject matter. I really have a hard time imagining a world on ESPN's Baseball Tonite that doesn't include Harold Reynolds and Peter Gammons. While I realize Gammons could be back behind the desk someday in the future should he have a full recovery, it's obvious Reynolds will never be back. Personally, I always enjoyed Reynold's wit and commentary, and though I didn't always agree with him, I think that's one of the things about him that made him enjoyable. He wasn't always predictable and on-target. Hopefully he learns something from this experience and moves forward somewhere else.

I love Baseball Tonight and I though Harold was great; obviously so did most people since he's been on the show for 10 years. I think Ravech is a fine host; he doesn't really get in the analysts way but makes inciteful comments or at least asks worthwhile questions. Kruk is just Kruk, and he brings at least some personality to show, if not bad analysis... Steve Phillips, while dry and sometimes frustratingly wrong, isn't a bad commentator at all and his GM angle is helpful if not necessary to at least give a different perspective.

The only commentators I really dislike are Brantley, Bowa and, to a lesser extent, Tino. I think Tino is noticeably uncomfortable in front of a camera, and he doesn't make any bold or risky predictions.

I did think that Kruk and HR had a good dynamic and that added to the show. Harold was a guru though, although to a much lesser extent than Gammons, and baseball tonight simply won't be the same without him.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ironman » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:52 pm

I say BOOO to anything that gives Steve Phillips more time to flap his stupid trap. What an idiot. If his knowledge/opinion was actually valued then maybe he'd have an actual job somewhere being a GM. Instead he's relegated to pretending to be a GM in ESPN's make-believe world where they hold fake press conferences. I'm by no means a Yankee fan but his smear campaign against A-Rod was probably the dumbest thing I've ever seen him do.

Honestly, ESPN is complete garbage anymore. The only reason anyone pays attention is because that's really our only source for sports news on TV. I like Reynolds and Gammons, as well as Dan Patrick and PTI. But the cons far outweigh the pros at this point with them, with a stable of incompetent fools on their network. The list goes on forever, Berman, Scott, Bayless, S.A. Smith, Kruk, Phillips, Salisbury, Irvin, Cowherd (Especially Cowherd!), and at this point even the Sports Guy Bill Simmons.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 97)

Postby Hobbes » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:08 am

ironman wrote:I say BOOO to anything that gives Steve Phillips more time to flap his stupid trap. What an idiot. If his knowledge/opinion was actually valued then maybe he'd have an actual job somewhere being a GM. Instead he's relegated to pretending to be a GM in ESPN's make-believe world where they hold fake press conferences. I'm by no means a Yankee fan but his smear campaign against A-Rod was probably the dumbest thing I've ever seen him do.

Honestly, ESPN is complete garbage anymore. The only reason anyone pays attention is because that's really our only source for sports news on TV. I like Reynolds and Gammons, as well as Dan Patrick and PTI. But the cons far outweigh the pros at this point with them, with a stable of incompetent fools on their network. The list goes on forever, Berman, Scott, Bayless, S.A. Smith, Kruk, Phillips, Salisbury, Irvin, Cowherd (Especially Cowherd!), and at this point even the Sports Guy Bill Simmons.

I agree with everything in this post. If there were a legitimate alternative to ESPN I'd be all over it. I can't believe how craptastic that network has become, and how many absolute idiots they have working there.

in10s wrote:I'm not sure I'll miss Harold, he always kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

The big question is who will replace him? I love Tino as a person, ballplayer, but god I hope not him. My guess is that we won't see new faces during the season. They will move the people they have around. (so yes, more Tino.) It seems like off season, when announcers shuffle jobs between teams/radio stations etc will be when they might try to find someone new.

I didn't care much for Harold either, so I don't mind so much that he's gone. If today is any indication it looks like Orel Hershiser is getting a bunch of Harold's airtime. Considering that he is one of the few guys there who really knows his stuff, that is fine with me. I don't know if they would want another sparring partner for Kruk though, because I don't see Orel going along with that crap. Orel's I.Q. is probably triple that of Kruk's.

I also agree with the poster who mentioned that Ravech sometimes looks to be dying a little inside when listening to Kruk spout his drivel.
Hobbes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:11 pm

Harold Reynolds is a strong Christian man. Even aside from a religion he is a solid ethical and moral person on any plane. I have met him personally a few times. He once spoke at a football camp I attended at Oregon State U. His presence and his words give me strong reason to infinitely doubt he would cross any ethical line too far and too many times. I really can’t properly convey what he said in his speech to us, but can only tell you, if you were there you wouldn't believe these S.H. allegations. It’ll take more proof than there was against O.J.
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby CeeLoGreen » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:43 am

Any talk of Harold getting a new job??? (Fox Sports?)
Basically I'm complicated.
I have a hard time taking the easy way
I wouldn't call it schizophrenia
But Ill be at least two people today

If that's OK

And I can go on, and on, and on...

But who cares?
CeeLoGreen
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext