THE HULK IS BACK! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

THE HULK IS BACK!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:25 pm

1337_Dude wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:Watch the old ECW matches, namely, RVD vs. Jerry Lynn, primarily Living Dangerously '99 and Hardcore Heaven '99. I think RVD is either past his prime or his style is rather out of whack with what the WWE currently employs or that the quality of opponent isn't as good as a Jerry Lynn or a Lance Storm. I believed back when WWE hired RVD five years ago, that he isn't a fit for WWE and he'll never be that way. RVD normally uses chairs in his arsenal, has some high-flying moves that WWE generally will allow to only some extent, and back in ECW, he had an expanded arsenal. He even had a Mexican Surfboard where after a while, he would lift the opponent in the air, and drop his opponent, with the back of the head/neck area smacking a steel chair. RVD also used occassional power and submission moves at times. In ECW, RVD had more liberty to do what he wanted in the ring, and the same goes for other ECW workers and you'll see that in indies like ROH, CZW, and TNA. But WWE is too structured. Even Sabu will never be a fit in the WWE style.

You also have to understand that ECW fans treated RVD as if he were the Hulk Hogan of the promotion. He would have long introductions where he'd be simply high-fiving fans and it would take like at times, 10 minutes. Before an ECW event, the house would be packed 2 hours beforehand just chanting "RVD! RVD!" You kind of have to be an ECW mark to understand or get into the hubbub of what RVD is all about.

RVD used to put on some great matches, but now when you watch him he's a shell of what he used to be. I think his years of smoking have finally gotten to him. He'll gas way to early in the matches and that combined with his lack of a move set makes for some pretty disappointing matches. Of course, I was never the worlds biggest RVD fan. I was always more of a fan of Sandman, Tazz, and the Eliminators.

I think a lot of it has to do with RVD adapting to the WWE style which has attributed to some sloppiness on his part in the ring. Not only that, RVD was always used to wrestling matches that didn't have commercial breaks in between and with a strict time limit of having to cram everything into 2 hours. But even the PPV matches seem rather rushed. I'd like to see RVD in more 20 minute bouts, but apparently, at this stage of his career, that could be asking quite a lot from him.

I've always liked Sandman, but more or less from a character standpoint and his long-standing feud with Raven, which was a classic ECW rivalry, even though Raven and Tommy Dreamer is the longest-running and more famous of the two. Taz was awesome too, back as the Human Suplex Machine and the whole FTW gimmick. Eliminators were cool too (like their finishing move the best), but I liked the Gangstas and the Dudley Boyz the best when it came to permanent tag teams, although I was a huge mark for RVD and Sabu when they teamed up.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 623)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:30 pm

perlick29 wrote:This was the best thing I could come up with for what Miz used to look like: Here he is 5 years ago.

Yeah, Miz has a couple of his Real World photos on his official site. It's quite funny to see Miz back on Tough Enough 3 (or was it 4?) and he seemed to be nowhere near being the cockiest nor the strongest of the bunch. He just seemed to be an introspective kid, but now it's quite odd to see him more proactive, which really comes off of as gimmicky. But then again, I heard that back when he was on The Real World, that he had this Miz persona all figured out. HOOOOO-RAH!!!
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby 1337_Dude » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:33 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:I've always liked Sandman, but more or less from a character standpoint and his long-standing feud with Raven, which was a classic ECW rivalry, even though Raven and Tommy Dreamer is the longest-running and more famous of the two. Taz was awesome too, back as the Human Suplex Machine and the whole FTW gimmick. Eliminators were cool too (like their finishing move the best), but I liked the Gangstas and the Dudley Boyz the best when it came to permanent tag teams, although I was a huge mark for RVD and Sabu when they teamed up.

Where I was fairly young and it came on around 2, I was never able to fully follow any of the storylines. I do recall Raven and Tommy Dreamer though. One of the best built fueds ever. Always felt like Tommy would win, but never did until the last match. That's actually one of the things WWE lacks now a days. Most feuds anymore aren't worth a dime when it comes to actually building them up. The last two that I can remember being excited about was Batista's face turn and Mickie James vs. Trish.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:42 pm

1337_Dude wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:I've always liked Sandman, but more or less from a character standpoint and his long-standing feud with Raven, which was a classic ECW rivalry, even though Raven and Tommy Dreamer is the longest-running and more famous of the two. Taz was awesome too, back as the Human Suplex Machine and the whole FTW gimmick. Eliminators were cool too (like their finishing move the best), but I liked the Gangstas and the Dudley Boyz the best when it came to permanent tag teams, although I was a huge mark for RVD and Sabu when they teamed up.

Where I was fairly young and it came on around 2, I was never able to fully follow any of the storylines. I do recall Raven and Tommy Dreamer though. One of the best built fueds ever. Always felt like Tommy would win, but never did until the last match. That's actually one of the things WWE lacks now a days. Most feuds anymore aren't worth a dime when it comes to actually building them up. The last two that I can remember being excited about was Batista's face turn and Mickie James vs. Trish.

Yeah, Dreamer and Raven was such a unique feud with its own twists and turns and it had taken two and a half years. Wow. Even Raven and Sandman had such an epic rivalry too, but what everyone remembers is the Crucifixion incident and so with such a poignant moment, the feud in history had taken a back seat. I think ECW was in its prime or in its golden age when they had larger-than-life personalities like Dreamer, Sandman, Raven, Shane "The Franchise" Douglas, Sabu, Steve Austin, and Taz (yeah I still refuse to add the extra 'Z'). Of course, they also had Mick Foley and Terry Funk back then. The storylines were a lot fresher back then, back when WWE and WCW didn't bother using Heyman's controversial plotlines.

I think the WWE is still stuck in a transitional stage. You have to remember that it's a tough act to establish a heated and long-running storyline when it will ultimately be stacked up to Austin vs. McMahon and Austin vs. Rock. In addition, with Austin and Rock being figures who stood even larger than the company, the WWE is trying its best to develop stars who are of that ilk, but ultimately they understand that a guy like Austin or Rock only comes around once in a generation. So, WWE is still in a developmental stage just trying to mesh all the young up-and-comers with a few familar veterans. On top of that, WWE has been quite lax in the product they're presenting, because simply they don't have a nationwide competitor. TNA is the closest one to it, but it appeals mostly to the smark segments because of the X Division. In fact, that's the only reason why I watch TNA. :-b
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby Kingctb27 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:25 pm

He's like 90 years old
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:33 pm

kingctb27 wrote:He's like 90 years old

Same applies to Ric Flair and Terry Funk. Man, is there a geriatric movement in pro wrestling these days, or what?
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby perlick29 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:36 pm

Person I met today:

Howard Finkel

Bit of a weird guy, but nice.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:45 pm

perlick29 wrote:Person I met today:

Howard Finkel

Bit of a weird guy, but nice.

Fink, sweet.

When are you going to meet the Divas, huh? ;-)
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby Madison » Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:50 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:When are you going to meet the Divas, huh? ;-)

Speaking of Divas, in the new Diva search, I can't believe they voted off Maryse. I had her moving forward quite a way and possibly even winning it. Guess the "fans" couldn't get past her not really having learned English all that well yet.

I would not mind meeting Erica (the teacher) at all. O:-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:42 pm

Madison wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:When are you going to meet the Divas, huh? ;-)

Speaking of Divas, in the new Diva search, I can't believe they voted off Maryse. I had her moving forward quite a way and possibly even winning it. Guess the "fans" couldn't get past her not really having learned English all that well yet.

I would not mind meeting Erica (the teacher) at all. O:-)

I tend to believe that this year's Diva lot is the best in a while. That Erica, wow. :-°
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk