Top 5 at each position for keeper leagues - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Top 5 at each position for keeper leagues

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Thursday » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:11 am

I still don't like Bay being behind Sizemore and Wells.
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rmande09 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:57 am

First of all, Ortiz is much better in fantasy than Hafner. Secondly, Hafner does not have 1B elig., Ortiz does.
C: Pierzynski
1B: Pujols
2B: Altuve
3B: Miggy
SS: HanRam
OF (x3): CarGo, M. Bourn, D. Jennings
UTIL (x2): E. Encarnacion, C. Hart
BN: Cuddyer, C. Ross, J. Montero

SP: Price, Gallardo, T. Hudson, Lester
RP: Chapman, Jansen, Rodney, Putz, Cishek, Bailey
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:05 pm

rmande09 wrote:First of all, Ortiz is much better in fantasy than Hafner.

105/371 73 34 95 1 .283

103/332 72 29 83 0 .310

Very similar numbers to me especially when you consider that Hafner missed about 7 interleague games due to not playing. The only difference between the 2 players imo is Ortiz is eligible at 1B and Hafner is not eligible there.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby giants! » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:06 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:. Freel doesn't have a full-time job and just turned 40 so he's out for me. .

you mean 30

Thome also might not have 1b eligibility. Hes played 3 games there this year and when Konerko rests the White Sox use R. Gload.
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

Postby tol1l1yboy » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:27 pm

First of all, Ortiz is much better in fantasy than Hafner. Secondly, Hafner does not have 1B elig., Ortiz does.

I love when people say this guy is eligible and this guy isnt. Not everyone plays in cheesy yahoo leagues where guys are eligible if they look at a base or a league that allows a guy to be eligible if they play 5 or 10 at a position either.

In my league a guy needs to play 20% of his games at a position to be eligible. Ortiz, Hafner and Thome don't qualify at first in our league so I am happy that they qualify for you but it doenst mean they are eligible in every league.

When I consider first baseman I dont consider dh's that get a few starts at first, first basman.

PS: If you think Ortiz has more value in a keeper league than Hafner you must be smoking something. I would argue that Hafner has more value even in year to year league going forward but that is at least debateable. Hafner is a couple years younger than Ortiz and has a higher average, hits with the same power and also plays in a very good offensive lineup.
tol1l1yboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pizzaboy76 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:15 pm

Hey if all you can do is nit pick over if a player qualifies at 1B, then I think the list is pretty solid.

Besides the Hafner/Ortiz/Thome 1B/DH eligibility, any other's that are way off or am I in the ball park?
pizzaboy76
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 71)

Postby Niffoc4 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:50 pm

tol1l1yboy wrote:

I love when people say this guy is eligible and this guy isnt. Not everyone plays in cheesy yahoo leagues where guys are eligible if they look at a base or a league that allows a guy to be eligible if they play 5 or 10 at a position either.

In my league a guy needs to play 20% of his games at a position to be eligible. Ortiz, Hafner and Thome don't qualify at first in our league so I am happy that they qualify for you but it doenst mean they are eligible in every league.

When I consider first baseman I dont consider dh's that get a few starts at first, first basman.

PS: If you think Ortiz has more value in a keeper league than Hafner you must be smoking something. I would argue that Hafner has more value even in year to year league going forward but that is at least debateable. Hafner is a couple years younger than Ortiz and has a higher average, hits with the same power and also plays in a very good offensive lineup.
Well, then ou can ignore the DH's and look at the ratings around that.
Also, I think that if they aren't eligible at 1B I think that you are right about Ortiz and Hafner being close, but I think looking at this year's stats I like the 12 RBI's and 3 HR over the BA boost in Hafner, but you could go either way. With 1B eligibility I Think Ortiz is an early 1st and Hafner is late (though that doesn't matter to you)
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby rmande09 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:25 pm

My apologies on the Hafner-Ortiz comment. For some reason, I was thinking Hafner was at 26 homers and still was under 80 RBI. I think it was from looking at his stats a week ago and I had thought I looked at them within the past few days. They are much closer statistically than I had assumed.

And tboy, I'm sorry we can't all be as intelligent or sophisticated as you and your leaguemates. My keeper league uses Yahoo! because it is fairly easy to use and well maintained. We chose to use their eligibility rules, as well.

And Ortiz is 1B-eligible in MOST fantasy services (the ones less sophisticated than yours) and Hafner is not.

And as for your:

Ortiz has more power than Hafner, will stay at this pace for the next few years, and continue to drive in ridiculous amounts of runs. Hafner is younger, but probably will not hit more jacks or drive in as many guys in the near future. And Hafner's lineup is nice, but Ortiz will benefit from Youks and Pedroia (.400+ OBP guys) hitting in front of him more than Hafner will benefit hitting behind Sizemore-Michaels. Cleveland may be better 1-9, and Sizemore is obviously better than Youks, but all that I'm talking about is guys being on base for Ortiz and Hafner.

Point being, for the next three years, I would take Ortiz over Hafner.
C: Pierzynski
1B: Pujols
2B: Altuve
3B: Miggy
SS: HanRam
OF (x3): CarGo, M. Bourn, D. Jennings
UTIL (x2): E. Encarnacion, C. Hart
BN: Cuddyer, C. Ross, J. Montero

SP: Price, Gallardo, T. Hudson, Lester
RP: Chapman, Jansen, Rodney, Putz, Cishek, Bailey
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mweir145 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:03 pm

My rankings:

Catcher
1. Mauer
2. Martinez
3. McCann
4. Ra. Hernandez
5. Barrett

1B
1. Pujols
2. Ortiz
3. Howard
4. Thome
5. Berkman

2B
1. Soriano (if he's able to qualify)
2. Utley
3. Figgins
4. Weeks
5. Uggla

SS
1. Reyes
2. Tejada
3. Jeter
4. Glaus (he's had more than 5 starts there this year)
5. Young

3B
1. Wright
2. Rodriguez
3. Cabrera
4. Jones
5. Glaus

OF
1. Soriano
2. Beltran
3. M. Ramirez
4. Crawford