preparing pitching for HtH playoffs - thoughts? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

preparing pitching for HtH playoffs - thoughts?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

preparing pitching for HtH playoffs - thoughts?

Postby mcliffy2 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:32 pm

So I'm wondering what, if any, strategies people are taking as far as pitching in HtH leagues? Trying to bulk up on youngsters w/ fresh arms? I've got Weaver and Reyes...What about Sowers?

I'm also thinking about a trade Beckett and Matsui/Patterson for Schmoltz. I figure he's old but he is used to going a full season, and Beckett has never pitched as many as he has.

Also, what about Felix? Even if he has a great August, he'll get close to 200 innings by playoff time (2nd week of sep), and will he kill me then and skip starts?

So lets hear ideas, what is everyone doing to make sure their arms don't die out during the playoffs?

12 team HtH (R, HR, RBI, SB, OBP, W, S, K, ERA, WHIP)

C M. Napoli
1B J. Giambi
2B A. Soriano
3B J. Cantú
SS M. Tejada
IF M. Teixeira
LF S. Podsednik
CF C. Patterson
RF M. Cameron
OF C. Floyd
Util N. Johnson
BN M. Thames
DL M Ensberg
DL H. Matsui

SP F. Hernández
SP J. Beckett
RP M. Rivera
RP J. Borowski
P E. Guardado
BN A. Reyes
BN D. Willis
BN Jer. Weaver
BN B. Arroyo
mcliffy2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Starkmadfan » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:50 pm

I'm interested in this myself. My plan soon is to empty my hitters bench and stockpile my pitching staff to give me better matchup options and chances at 2 start pitchers, particuarly pitchers that have high K counts.

I have the same concern about King Felix, but I can't get anything of value for him in trade.

I've been looking at Sowers too, but I have Cliff Lee, and not sure I want 2 from Cleveland.

I'm also debating carrying 4 closers into the playoffs just to also give me further options.
Help me out here? : http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2321827#2321827

Artwork by madaslives911
Starkmadfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jealousblues » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:12 pm

Ive been thinking about playoffs too, ive picked patterson, matsui, and sheffield off the FA pile and stashed them on the DL in case they come back and can conrtibute. Maybe catch lightning in a bottle.

Ive also considered streaming my pitching staff, if it comes downs to it. doubt ill do it, I thouhgt about it last year.
JH32
jealousblues
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby mcliffy2 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:26 pm

J Patterson is on my waiver wire as well...his current prognosis is at least 4 weeks, so that means realistically at least 5-6 I'd guess (if he makes it back). I am partial to him though because he was my best waiver wire gem last year. Sub-3 ERA and 200 K, hard to argue with.

Only problem is I have Ensberg and Matsui on my DL, and only 2 slots...hopefully Hideki comes back soon so I can grab Patterson. As a side note, any idea how to add a DL guy to your squad (when you have an open DL spot) w/o dropping someone?

Any thought on Schmoltz for the rest of the season...he is ranked a little lower b/c of his lack of Ws, but the Braves offense is turning it around (altho what is the prognosis on the Joneses?).
mcliffy2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigdawg22 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:39 pm

go to edit ur roster for tomorrow and change ur DL player if u have one already and you should be able to make ur move. If you have no DL players at the moment, u have to drop someone.
bigdawg22
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mcliffy2 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:46 pm

Hmmmm....I think I tried that last time...not in position to make a move right now (Ensberg + Matsui on DL), but I'll try that when I'm ready...thanks.
mcliffy2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: preparing pitching for HtH playoffs - thoughts?

Postby mikhayl » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:02 pm

Harden is a good guy to add (I just traded him away, but I needed to for other reasons). I think he can be bought low from owners who don't think he'll come back period, myself included, but if he does come back at all, it'll be during playoff time...and the A's should be in a playoff race as well.

I also think Kelvim Escobar is a good buy low. He could turn it on for crunch time and the A's will be playin their hearts out.

John Smoltz, who you've mentioned would be a great pickup, but he won't come cheap. Randy Johnson, has been turning it around and should be strong down the stretch. Same with Pettitte, minus the recent blow up.

Get guys who will be in playoff races whose teams have good bullpens. Plan around guys like Carpenter, Pedro, Glavine and Bonderman being worked lightly at the end of the season.
Let's go O's. Let's go Mets.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:33 pm

i like to empty out the offensive bench and fill it up with starters, but i dont usually do that until right before the playoffs starts. and i dont know that it makes sense to focus on youngsters. a) they pitched in the minors so they may have as many innings as the vets and b) some of them are approaching career highs in innings. just focus on players that are pitching well or take a look at the schedule and see who faces the royals or other inept teams when the h2h playoffs are going on.

i dont know if patterson is a good option. since the nats are out of it they are more likely to rest him than risk further injury. same story for other older somewhat injured players on bad teams.
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby The Loveable Losers » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:48 pm

This doesn't apply in keeper leagues and may not apply this year but it's worth watching the Cardinals position in the playoff race. If they pull away come h2h playoff time LaRussa has been known to give Pujols quite a few days off. It can be worth trading him for solid value that helps your team if it looks like he'll be getting some days off in September. The emphasis there is on SOLID value though...it needs to be a deal worthy of Pujols. ;)
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Return to Baseball Leftovers