Double Play Question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Double Play Question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Double Play Question

Postby phaedrus » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:46 am

So if I'm on first, and my buddy grounds to the ss. Instead of sliding into second, why don't run to second waving my arms to make the dp throw harder for the 2b (I have some sort of face shield donned of course).
phaedrus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Old_Style » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:56 am

Any runner is out when --
(b) He intentionally interferes with a thrown ball; or hinders a fielder attempting to make a play on a batted ball;
Rule 7.08(b) Comment: A runner who is adjudged to have hindered a fielder who is attempting to make a play on a batted ball is out whether it was intentional or not.
If, however, the runner has contact with a legally occupied base when he hinders the fielder, he shall not be called out unless, in the umpire’s judgment, such hindrance, whether it occurs on fair or foul territory, is intentional. If the umpire declares the hindrance intentional, the following penalty shall apply: With less than two out, the umpire shall declare both the runner and batter out. With two out, the umpire shall declare the batter out.
If, in a run-down between third base and home plate, the succeeding runner has advanced and is standing on third base when the runner in a run-down is called out for offensive interference, the umpire shall send the runner standing on third base back to second base. This same principle applies if there is a run-down between second and third base and succeeding runner has reached second (the reasoning is that no runner shall advance on an interference play and a runner is considered to occupy a base until he legally has reached the next succeeding base).
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mak1277 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:36 am

You can definitely just stop and stand in the baseline...there's no rule against that, but you would have to expect a baseball in the face if you did that.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:11 am

mak1277 wrote:You can definitely just stop and stand in the baseline...there's no rule against that, but you would have to expect a baseball in the face if you did that.

Yeah thats' pretty much it. If you don't get down the SS will take aim. You'll get hit and the other team with get the DP anyway.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 463)

Postby mak1277 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:14 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:You'll get hit and the other team with get the DP anyway.

I don't believe this is the case. If the guy hits you, it's his fault....the batter wouldn't be called out because of this. Now if you jump up and slap the ball out of the air, that's another story, but if you're just jogging in the baseline and you get hit "accidentally" with the throw, you wouldn't get called for interference.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:25 am

mak1277 wrote:

I don't believe this is the case. If the guy hits you, it's his fault....the batter wouldn't be called out because of this. Now if you jump up and slap the ball out of the air, that's another story, but if you're just jogging in the baseline and you get hit "accidentally" with the throw, you wouldn't get called for interference.

A runner who is adjudged to have hindered a fielder who is attempting to make a play on a batted ball is out whether it was intentional or not

It depends on the ump but I've seen it called before when a runner didn't get down and it went off his helmet.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 463)

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:30 am

mak1277 wrote:

It is a judgement call from the umpire, but in 95% of cases, the defending team will be awarded the double play due to interference by the runner. The runner on first has to make an attempt to get down or out of the way on the throw from 2nd to first. If you do attempt to get out of the way and the ball still hits you, then the double play will not be awarded.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Old_Style » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:30 am

didn't somebody just recently (within the past 5 seasons) get beaned in the face with an oncoming ball?
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby WhiteHot » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:43 am

Old_Style wrote:didn't somebody just recently (within the past 5 seasons) get beaned in the face with an oncoming ball?

Yes, I remember seeing that. I can't recall the player though.
WhiteHot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bellings » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:48 am

Yeah, I remember seeing that player get hit too. The worst one I can remember was at the start of a double play, going from 1st to 2nd. The throw ever-so-slightly caught the top of the runner helmet, and was redirected upwards about 6 inches, right into the fielders face. I can't remember who that was either.
bellings
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers