Looking back on ML rankings-JD Drew A BUST? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Looking back on ML rankings-JD Drew A BUST?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Looking back on ML rankings-JD Drew A BUST?

Postby Members Only Jackets » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:30 am

JD DREW , if I'm not mistaken, was the #1 or #2 best minor league players in the late 90's...

Looking back after some years, can we call JD Drew a bust? He's so average it's sickening. Too good to flat out drop. Not good enough to start....

NO HR's since June 1.
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Looking back on ML rankings-JD Drew A BUST?

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:01 am

Members Only Jackets wrote:JD DREW , if I'm not mistaken, was the #1 or #2 best minor league players in the late 90's...

Looking back after some years, can we call JD Drew a bust? He's so average it's sickening. Too good to flat out drop. Not good enough to start....

NO HR's since June 1.

i woulda called jd a bust a few yrs ago... :-°

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Members Only Jackets » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:36 am

SG--Yeah I hear ya....It's my 3rd yr in fantasy ball and 2nd year in Dynasty Leagues...it was interesting looking back throughout the years and seeing who flopped...like Burroughs and DREW to a lessser extent...and of course Ankiel.
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Hands22 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:14 pm

I don't mean to bump this topic that's 3 weeks old up, but has anyone read "Three Nights in August" by Buzz BIssinger? The book is all about LaRussa and trying to see the game from his point of few and it has a great section on Drew and another on Ankiel. Definately an all around good read and if you have the chance, I'd suggest reading it.
Hands22
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby RyanK » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:29 pm

How bout Ben Grieve.. i remember when I was a kid I tried to get a bunch of his Rookie Cards thinking theyd be worth a lot some day....
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby hybrid » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:02 am

I wouldn't call JD a bust at all. He has become a good major league player and to me when you have that type of value your not a bust. He did however not live up to his potential due to all the injuries he has had.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:27 am

I'm interested in which way Zach Greinke will turn out. For awhile, he was THE prospect here at the cafe. He's not been too good in the years since, though.

Is anyone ready to call him a bust yet?
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby hayseed » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:44 am

Absolutely Adequate wrote:I'm interested in which way Zach Greinke will turn out. For awhile, he was THE prospect here at the cafe. He's not been too good in the years since, though.

he had some emotional or mental problems for a while there, but he's back playing again. just not the same.. yet. not ready to call him a full-fledge bust yet.
hayseed
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:47 am

JD Drew posted near MVP numbers in 2004. Other than that, he is still a very fine player when he is actually on the field. It's just frustrating that he almost never seems to be 100%. He has a career .390 OBP and .507 SLG. Those are not the numbers of an average players. Whether or not he's a bust probably depends on your viewpoint of a bust. I don't think he is. Many top prospects don't even have major league careers as good as JD Drew has so far.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby NatsFan10 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:53 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:I'm interested in which way Zach Greinke will turn out. For awhile, he was THE prospect here at the cafe. He's not been too good in the years since, though.

Since beginning of July, Greinke has a 3.14 ERA with 56 K and 7 BB in around 50 IP. For a 22 year old in AA, that's pretty good. I'm certainly not ready to call him a bust yet.
NatsFan10
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball