The Mystique of Jason Marquis - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Mystique of Jason Marquis

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The Mystique of Jason Marquis

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:47 pm

i was typing on the cafe here and overheard on ESPN that Jason Marquis won his 12th game tonight and i thought to myself :-? , wow hes absolutely terrible. how could he have 12 wins this year??

so i looked at his numbers and noticed some VERY VERY strange statistics....

ok 12 W - NL League Leader
24 HR ALLOWED - NL League Leader!
86 ER ALLOWED - NL League Leader!

so you must be saying WOW to get 12 wins he must be getting like 10 runs per game of support! (i said this myself) so i did a little checking and to my surprise, Marquis is 12TH!!! in the NL in run support with 5.69 runs per 9. this is LESS than his ERA!

so with all that, i felt like it was probably the strangest string of statistics ive ever seen.... i was also wondering if anyone has ever led their league in W and HR's allowed but then when i saw ER allowed, im wondering if anyone has ever allowed the most runs in the league and also had the most W's!?!?!

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby smoovethug » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:52 pm

Pretty weird that his run support is that low, but it just shows how wins are so misleading. Like when Russ Ortiz won 21 games and went in the 4-5th round although he is TERRIBLE. :-t

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby activechamp2006 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:59 pm

it also shows how everytime he pitches well, he wins.. instead of taking a lot of no decisions like most players take.. on top of that games when he sucks they score a ton of runs for him..
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazing Oopah » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:19 pm

Someone should ask Marquis for some lottery numbers. The guy is so lucky you might just win ;-D
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Y`s Guy » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:17 am

Twice he has given up 7 earned runs. He gave up 12 earned runs once and 13 another. He is way too risky to play roulette with. He isn't worth a spot start. I was lucky a while ago and plucked him twice for spots and got 2 wins. I was very lucky.

Very bizarre.
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 277)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby red_foot » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:29 am

So basically the reason for all that is he is super hot-cold. When he is on, he will blank the other team for seven plus innings and when he is off he gets smashed for ten plus runs in five innings. This means he wins all the time when he is on, and his era blows up when he is off. I think he is one of the worst guys to own in fantasy because he is very very hard to drop and he just kills you.
red_foot
College Coach
College Coach

Re: The Mystique of Jason Marquis

Postby jealousblues » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:41 am

Snakes Gould wrote:i was typing on the cafe here and overheard on ESPN that Jason Marquis won his 12th game tonight and i thought to myself :-? , wow hes absolutely terrible. how could he have 12 wins this year??

so i looked at his numbers and noticed some VERY VERY strange statistics....

ok 12 W - NL League Leader
24 HR ALLOWED - NL League Leader!
86 ER ALLOWED - NL League Leader!

so you must be saying WOW to get 12 wins he must be getting like 10 runs per game of support! (i said this myself) so i did a little checking and to my surprise, Marquis is 12TH!!! in the NL in run support with 5.69 runs per 9. this is LESS than his ERA!

so with all that, i felt like it was probably the strangest string of statistics ive ever seen.... i was also wondering if anyone has ever led their league in W and HR's allowed but then when i saw ER allowed, im wondering if anyone has ever allowed the most runs in the league and also had the most W's!?!?!

This thing with Marquis is he can be semi dominating, shut you out or let up 2 runs...but he is horribly inconsistant. Plus I recall twice this year where he took the beating to save the bullpen.
so he will give up like 9 runs in a game or some crap like that every so often. So when he wins, he wins...but when he loses he takes a BEATING.

That can kind of explain the number of wins/ERA/support less than ERA/
JH32
jealousblues
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Another Blown Save » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:53 am

Jul 18, 5IP 12ER 3HR
Jun 21 5IP 13ER 4HR

Without those games, he has an ERA of 4.32

Amazing how two bad starts can inflate your ERA :-o
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:16 am

Another Blown Save wrote:Jul 18, 5IP 12ER 3HR
Jun 21 5IP 13ER 4HR

Without those games, he has an ERA of 4.32

Amazing how two bad starts can inflate your ERA :-o

sure i guess that hurts but in this many starts, he still shouldnt have the most HR allowed and most ER should he? sure there have been plenty of guys who get 20 wins with a 4.98 but not leading the league in 2 TERRIBLE categories can you??

as for "its so hard to drop him"....are you crazy?!?! :-? how can you EVER start him with confidence....one start could lose your ERA in a h2h matchup and completely screw you up for roto

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby revenge_of_the_cards » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:49 am

If he puts the W up on the board that means were winning. Id like to have some more confidence in him when we get to the post season though.
revenge_of_the_cards
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers