Andy Marte - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Andy Marte

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby teddyballgamemvp » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:43 pm

jswede wrote:"throwing under bus"??

he's just analyzing a trade with some baseball data. saying "he sucks and we didn't want him" would be throwing under bus.

He did say just that, only in more delicate terms. He is suggesting that the trade was good based on data collected after the broken finger-- every reporter here as acknowledged that it will be next year before he is back to normal. Shapiro knows that the injury is the reason for the poor OPS-- Coco was on fire at the plate before that (a carryover from a very hot ST)-- but he brings up the stats to justify the trade anyway. I'm not saying he believes it, just that it's very uncommon for a GM to say something like that.
Chris Iannetta was born on Krypton and transported to Earth as an infant and saves the universe when he's not getting on base every plate appearance.
teddyballgamemvp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby p32bars » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:39 pm

I'm a diehard Indians fan, living 60 miles south of Cleveland and you don't know how close I am to dumping Tendonitis Chavez for Marte. I know it's a little overboard but I am pumped for his debut and Boone's departure.
p32bars
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Starkmadfan » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:09 pm

p32bars wrote:I'm a diehard Indians fan, living 60 miles south of Cleveland and you don't know how close I am to dumping Tendonitis Chavez for Marte. I know it's a little overboard but I am pumped for his debut and Boone's departure.

How would you compare this guy to Kendrick?
Starkmadfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby p32bars » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:25 pm

Marte to Kendrick? I would say Kendrick is little more ready than Marte would be if Marte was called up today. I think Marte is the better power source while Kendrick is the way to go for AVG and runs. Both are great prospects.
p32bars
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby flowbee » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:54 pm

A guy with a .266 avg, .328 OBP in AAA that contends for the strikeout title each year doesnt give me much to be excited for. Sure he can hit it a long ways but he has to make good contact first. I wouldnt be dropping a guy like chavez for him just yet
flowbee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby duckbillgates » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:11 pm

This was from the Indians notes yesterday ...
Marte’s debut with Indians drawing near
By TOM WITHERS
AP Sports Writer
CLEVELAND (AP) — One of these days, maybe real soon, Andy Marte will be at third base for the Cleveland Indians.
General manager Mark Shapiro has spent the past few days at Triple-A Buffalo taking a long look at Marte, the 22-year-old acquired in the January trade that sent Coco Crisp to the Boston Red Sox. Robby Thompson and Tim Belcher, two of the Indians’ special assistants to baseball operations, have been working with Marte on his game.
Shapiro’s involvement could signal that Marte’s promotion could happen shortly after the July 31 trading deadline. Ideally, the Indians would prefer to trade Aaron Boone before bringing up Marte, whom they hope can hold down things at third for years to come.
“I’m not going to speculate on when it will happen,” Manager Eric Wedge said of Marte’s arrival. “I don’t think that would be fair to everyone involved.”
Shapiro has said he would like to have Marte up by Sept. 1, but if the Indians are unable to swing a deal for Boone, that timetable could be moved up.
Entering Tuesday night’s game, Marte was batting .266 with 15 homers and 46 RBIs in 94 games for the Bisons. He has struck out 81 times in 350 at-bats and has committed 19 errors.
Wedge said the club has been impressed with Marte’s progress.
“He’s doing a good job, and he’s still learning,” Wedge said. “He still has development ahead of him and when he does get here there are going to be struggles ahead of him just like any other player. It just comes with the territory.”
While Marte remains man of mystery man to Indians fans eager to see him perform, reliever Tom Mastny has seen enough of the Dominican to be convinced he’s going to be a keeper.
“He’s been on a tear since about mid-May,” said Mastny, promoted from Buffalo on Monday. “He has been hitting the cover off the ball. He’s a very solid player, good arm, good power, a solid, solid player.”
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Starkmadfan » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:50 pm

From Rotowire.

The Indians recalled Marte on Friday, the Associated Press reports. Marte hit .261 with 15 home runs and 46 RBI in 96 games at Triple-A Buffalo this season. He's definitely worth strong pickup consideration in most formats since Aaron Boone's future with the club is up in the air.

Starkmadfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dannomyte » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:25 pm

From MiLB.com

CLEVELAND -- The key cog in the controversial trade that sent Coco Crisp to the Red Sox has made it to the big leagues.

Third-base prospect Andy Marte was promoted to the Indians from Triple-A Buffalo on Friday, with utility infielder Ramon Vazquez optioned back to the Bisons.

Marte, acquired along with reliever Guillermo Mota and catcher Kelly Shoppach in the trade that sent Crisp, David Riske and Josh Bard to Boston, has been generally regarded as the Tribe's third baseman for '07. At the time of the trade, the club said he'd need some more Triple-A seasoning before he'd be big-league ready, and he proved as much with a slump at the plate at the outset of '06.

In recent weeks, though, Marte has been as productive as they come. He earned International League Player of the Month honors in June by batting .304 with 10 homers and 22 RBIs. Earlier this month, he took home the Home Run Derby crown at the Triple-A All-Star Game in Toledo.

For the season, Marte has hit .261 with 15 homers and 46 RBIs. He's made 19 errors in the field.

The Indians had several front-office staff members check Marte out in recent days, with general manager Mark Shapiro getting the final look earlier this week.

With veteran third baseman Aaron Boone struggling both at the plate and in the field this season, the club is expected to give Marte regular starts at the position. Boone could be traded before the July 31 deadline, released or placed in a utility role.

This will be the second taste of the Majors for Marte, originally a Braves prospect who was shipped to the Red Sox during the Winter Meetings last December. A September callup to Atlanta last year, he hit .140 (8-for-57) with four RBIs in 24 games.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/ ... &fext=.jsp
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates