Red Sox are mis-using Papelbon - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Red Sox are mis-using Papelbon

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby kemper5 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:43 pm

I know, I'll hear it, but he now will have gone 5+ days without an appearence at all. If tomorrow the Red Sox are blown out or have a huge lead, it will be 6 days or longer without an appearance.. Im so fustrated about this..Tonight absolute PERFECT opportunity for him, but bottom of the 9th and they let Timlin (who by the way pitched Thurs, Fri and Today) go in (who gave up the lead the inning before) and give up the game winning homer to Sexson.. FUSTRATING!
kemper5
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Thursday » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:56 pm

You should know: never use closers in non-save situations. I'm happy they used Timlin instead.
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CheeseBeger » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:57 pm

This is strange, because they have been using him in these exact same situations all year long. They have been putting him in 9th/10th when there is a tie....

And papel is hardly your average closer. He has succeeded pitching in non save sits.
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby tianyi86 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:01 pm

Kemper, isnt this like your 4th thread about papelbon being on a short cold streak or not appearing because the sox didn't give im a save opportunity?

How come you don't trash papelbon when he got 3 saves in 3 days?

You need to understand that different players play different roles in baseball. Closers are suppose to pitch when they are up by 3 runs or less and to close games. Mid relievers are suppose to pitch the mid/late innings of game or a tie game that looks like its going to go into extra innings, i.e. mike timlin's role today. Please stop trashing papelbon when he didn't pitch for a few days. If you hate him so much, why dont you drop him or trade him away. Better yet, trade out all your closers for starters so you know your pitchers will pitch for you once every 4 or 5 games.
tianyi86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Matthias » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:11 pm

tianyi86 wrote:You need to understand that different players play different roles in baseball. Closers are suppose to pitch when they are up by 3 runs or less and to close games. Mid relievers are suppose to pitch the mid/late innings of game or a tie game that looks like its going to go into extra innings, i.e. mike timlin's role today.

Ummm.... I was kind of hoping that this was sarcastic, but I don't think it was.

When the game is on the line, you want your best players in. It's about doing the job, not pointing to a job title. Kemper was absolutely right.

p.s. As far as, "roles" go, Timlin went in and got the save on Thursday because Paps had pitched three days in a row.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby soxfan364 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:43 pm

I was kind of surprised to hear Timlin got the loss, and that they didn't bring in Pap after the Sox tied it up....
soxfan364
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby nsulham » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:50 pm

soxfan364 wrote:I was kind of surprised to hear Timlin got the loss, and that they didn't bring in Pap after the Sox tied it up....

Exactly my thought. It was 8-8 into the bottom of the ninth. You want to give your team the best shot to stay close and that best shot was using Papelbon. He could have given them 2 innings and (theoretically) kept them close and given them a chance to win the game. They'd already used Hansen, Delcarmen and Timlin so I feel safe in saying if they didn't score in the two innings Papelbon was in, they wouldn't have won the game.

Torre's not afraid to use Rivera when the game is tied late. I wish Francona would take the same approach with Papelbon.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby 1337_Dude » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:06 pm

Maybe he slipped on a ball and can't throw fast anymore.

Yea...that would work nicely.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Matthias » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:13 pm

1337_Dude wrote:Maybe he slipped on a ball and can't throw fast anymore.

Yea...that would work nicely.

Wishing ill on a player is poor form. :-t :-t :-t
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby kemper5 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:46 pm

Im just really mad about the Sox losing today and how they managed to lose it.. I do not give 2 farts on Papelbons numbers today because I blew out my opponent this week in my HTH league.. It's very fustrating to see Paps not be put in a situation like todays.. I mean come on, the Sox worked Timlin hard over the last few days all the while Paps had extended rest.. :-t to coaches decision...Thats all I was trying to say
kemper5
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers