So, have the Jered Weaver doubters been turned yet? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

So, have the Jered Weaver doubters been turned yet?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

So, have the Jered Weaver doubters been turned yet?

Postby johnsamo » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:16 pm

7 in a row... He's chasing Fernando Valenzuela for the record. He walked more than usual, (as if 4 in 6.2 innings is a lot) but I'll chalk that up as rusty, not pitching for so long.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby win it all » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:33 pm

hey johnsmo, was his command there like in his other starts? I'm an east coast guy, so I rely on watching him on the mlb package but the game wasn't on..I'm concerned that his shoulder is still bothering him...All look good to you?
win it all
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby smoovethug » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:55 pm

Did you really need to start another thread? :-?

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... r+doubters

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby johnsamo » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:55 pm

This was actually the first Weaver start I didn't see... the box score looks like his usual stuff though, except for 4 walks, which for any other pitcher, would be totally normal for going to the 7th inning.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jonesbros » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:25 pm

Hey, what's to doubt? 7-0 and a 1.15 ERA in seven starts. I'm glad someone dropped him in my league so I could pick him up.
C- McCann
1B- Morneau
2B- Roberts
3B- Zimm
SS- Renteria
LF- MCab
RF- Francouer
CF- DRoberts
OF- Podsednik
Util- FThomas
BN
Konerko
Aurilia
Hafner

P
Webb
Lackey
ESantana
JWeaver
MCain
Garland
FCordero
Otsuka
Kasmir (DL)
jonesbros
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Big Train » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:28 pm

I don't seem to recall there being a lot of Jered Weaver doubters here at the Cafe so I'm not sure if the question in the title of this thread is the most appropriate (if anything, the potential rookie stars like Weaver are usually overhyped here). By default it's only natural to be somewhat skeptical when it comes to rookies. Not many of them have the kind of success he's had early on. Good for him, I hope he breaks Valenzuela's mark. As a Dodgers fan who is old enough to remember Valenzuela's rookie campaign, it will be interesting to see if Weaver will be the spark that leads the Angels to the playoffs the way Fernando did. Obviously there won't be the hype of Fernandomania, and the Dodgers probably had a better overall team that year than the Angels do this year. I also recall, however, that after starting 8-0, Valenzuela went 5-7 the rest of the season (albeit with respectable numbers) and probably should have lost the Cy Young award to Tom Seaver who was 14-2 that strike shortened season.

No doubt when he falters a bit the skeptics will be out in full force, but it's pretty obvious he has the makings of being a soild anchor in the Angels rotation.
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:36 pm

smoovethug wrote:Did you really need to start another thread? :-?

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... r+doubters

yeah man, you need to watch that. we get it. you love the angels..

maybe i should make a thread "Are there still Dallas Mcpherson/Casey Kotchman/Robb Quinlan{insert angel over hyped/bust here} :-? :-? :-?

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mashug » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:41 pm

It'll be interesting to see how Jered, Liriano and Verlander compare at the end of the year.
Mashug
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SmartassBoiler » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:00 pm

johnsamo wrote:This was actually the first Weaver start I didn't see... the box score looks like his usual stuff though, except for 4 walks, which for any other pitcher, would be totally normal for going to the 7th inning.

4 walks is hardly normal for star pitchers. 4 walks means questionable control for any pitcher.

He's off to a hot start, but I also read he's faced one offense that ranks in the top half of the AL. Let's see him face Boston, Chicago, and some high powered AL teams and see what happens.
SmartassBoiler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby johnsamo » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:08 pm

I agree he hasn't faced a lot of the top teams, but isn't one of the marks of a great pitcher to win the games he should win? He blew away Cleveland which is usually tough on righties and the A's, just before the A's went to Boston and did well.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates