Having good starting pitchers is nothing but LUCK? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Having good starting pitchers is nothing but LUCK?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Philly Pride » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:09 am

No way, keep Verlander over Hermida. He's a sure-fire stud.
Philly Pride
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby ukrneal » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:12 am

markj11 wrote:Now that I have decided not to go after SPs in next years draft, my league allows us to keep a rookie by giving up your 8th round. I have Verlander, Kinlser and Hermida and up to this point was planning on keeping Verlander but may have change that. Hermida was ranked as 12-15 round pick last year, will he be worth an 8th next year?

If the rest of the keepers is mostly hitting, I'd take a chance on Verlander. I like what I am seeing and he was always expected to be good, just not this quickly. Kinsler is interesting too, but I would take Verlander over him at this point. 8th round means pick 84-96 and that seems reasonable to me if he doesn't get injured or something.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby markj11 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:15 am

Philly Pride wrote:No way, keep Verlander over Hermida. He's a sure-fire stud.

But thats what people said about Peavy.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ukrneal » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:21 am

markj11 wrote:

But I think most of us would keep Peavy if we could get him in the 8th round. He's much less of a risk in that position.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby markj11 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:32 am

ukrneal wrote:
markj11 wrote:

But I think most of us would keep Peavy if we could get him in the 8th round. He's much less of a risk in that position.

Thats true but we're talking about Verlander. So are you saying Verlander(2006) = Peavy(2005)? Even if he does, the point I'm tring to make is that I don't want to focus on SP, I know Verlander will have more value than the others but is Kinsler or Hermida worth aan 8th round pick? Thanks for your insite.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ukrneal » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:45 am

I don't know how I would relate the two. Looking at Verlander, I like the types of numbers he's throwing out. He isn't wild. He doesn't give up too many HR. He seems to be remarkably in control.

I'm not sure at this point whether he will be worth it. But if it is me, I would seriously consider him. Even if he falls off a hair, he has been just so solid. And that is why I like him. He's less flashy than Weaver or Liriano, but I worry that they will get too much pressure next year. Anyway, I like him and would probably keep him at that point.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:29 am

markj11 wrote:Now that I have decided not to go after SPs in next years draft, my league allows us to keep a rookie by giving up your 8th round. I have Verlander, Kinlser and Hermida and up to this point was planning on keeping Verlander but may have change that. Hermida was ranked as 12-15 round pick last year, will he be worth an 8th next year?

This is a perfect example of where a strategy (not going after SP early) can go wrong by being too rigid. Verlander is the most valuable player of the three there. In addition I question whether Kinsler or Hermida either one would be worth an 8th round pick. If you're going to stick to your strategy as rigidly as you're suggesting then at the very least I would say to keep no one and try to get better value than any of them in the 8th round. I'd probably keep Verlander though.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby markj11 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:34 am

Yeah, I think by keeping Verlander it will help me not feel presure when others are taking the top SP early. Hopefully there will be no sophmore problems.
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby teddyballgamemvp » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:40 am

markj11 wrote:Yeah, I think by keeping Verlander it will help me not feel presure when others are taking the top SP early. Hopefully there will be no sophmore problems.

It's like losing a game because your all-star closer gave up a fluke homer. You make that decision to go with him in that spot 10/10 times and you sleep soundly knowing you made the right call regardless of the outcome. Same here. Verlander could be hit by a bus tomorrow, but choosing him today over the options you gave is right 100% of the time.
Chris Iannetta was born on Krypton and transported to Earth as an infant and saves the universe when he's not getting on base every plate appearance.
teddyballgamemvp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hayseed » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:48 am

my strategy for next season is going to be to grab one stud SP to anchor the staff, then just take late round fliers and waiver wire material. I grabbed Pedro and Carpenter early this season, which I love having them, but I'd rather have another big bat instead of both. The rest of my staff consists of: Verlander (WW), Je. Weaver (WW), Bedard (WW), Burnett (WW). As you can see, there are always plenty of fantasy goldmines that arise during the season. Next year, I'm grabbing that one stud SP in the 2nd or 3rd then loading up on hitting until the teens.
hayseed
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers