Berkman - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Berkman

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Music2004Man » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:23 am

Anybody hear if he's going to play today?
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Krunk City King$ » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:29 am

07/25/2006 9:25 PM ET
Notes: Berkman sits out opener
Astros slugger remains day to day with sore groin

By Kevin Yanik / MLB.com

HOUSTON -- Lance Berkman, who's usually a late arrival to the ballpark, walked into the Astros clubhouse early Tuesday afternoon and noticed manager Phil Garner's lineup already was hanging up.
Berkman wasn't penciled in against the Reds, though. Instead, he was given an extra day of rest to nurse a strained left groin sustained in his club's last game, Sunday against the Mets.

"It feels better [Tuesday] than it did [Monday], certainly," Berkman said. "Hopefully, another day of rest gets it where it needs to be."

Lately, Berkman has spent more time playing right field -- not first base -- and he's been sprinting more often defensively than he anticipated back in April.

"This year, I thought I was playing mostly first base," Berkman said. "I didn't play a single game in the outfield in Spring Training. All of a sudden, a month into the season, I'm in the outfield."

The day-to-day switch from first base to the outfield hasn't been easy. Berkman wasn't able to condition himself as well over the past two offseasons because of knee surgeries.

"A lot of these nagging leg pains are a direct result of that," Berkman said. "If I were able to do what I normally do in the offseason, I would probably be in really good shape in terms of running, and [the groin] probably wouldn't be a factor."

Berkman probably could have played through the pain Tuesday. Big leaguers do it all the time, but ...

"You don't want it to be a long, drawn out process, and the next thing you know, you have to go on the [disabled list]," Berkman said.

So an extra off-day can't hurt.

"I didn't think he was going to play [Tuesday]," Garner said. "I'll give him the extra day."

Home at last: Aubrey Huff finally got a feel for Minute Maid Park on Tuesday, when he made his home debut for the Astros.

"Driving around today," Huff said, "I just realized, 'Wow, this place is really nice' when you look around.' It's nicer playing in front of 40,000 a night. It's a little jolt for me."

Finally being in Houston is a jolt, too. Huff has been with the Astros since July 12, when he was acquired in a trade with the Devil Rays, but his first 10 games with his new club had been on the road.

Huff hasn't gotten a chance to settle down, with stops in Miami, Chicago and New York after the All-Star break.

"I've had five bags with me on every trip," Huff said. "I kept going down to the bellman to get my bag. It's good to get back and get settled down here."

In three Interleague games at Minute Maid Park, Huff was 2-for-11 with a double and two runs scored.

Bok, bok, bok: The foul poles at Minute Maid Park have a new look.

For starters, the poles are now the "Fowl Poles" because the Astros and Chick-fil-A reached a sponsorship agreement through 2008. The poles feature three renegade cows wearing Astros hats which carry the message of "Eat Mor Fowl."

In addition, the Chick-fil-A signage is now a target for Astros players. If an Astro knocks a home run off the "Fowl Pole," all fans in attendance can redeem their game tickets the following day for a free chicken sandwich at Chick-fil-A.

"The cows on the 'Fowl Poles' are just waiting to give away free chicken sandwiches to Astros fans," said Bryan Bullington, owner/operator of Chick-fil-A Pearland. "We hope that there are several players who will hit the signs this season."

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/arti ... p&c_id=mlb
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby SimbaPenn » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:52 pm

he's baaack.
SimbaPenn
College Coach
College Coach

Postby sportsfan1433 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:43 pm

and with 2 HOMERS
sportsfan1433
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Prooks25 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:46 pm

;-D
Prooks25
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Sensei » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:53 pm

And....we spoke too soon. Left the game today with another "apparent leg injury" in the 8th. Anyone know more??
"I've failed over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." - Michael Jordan
Sensei
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:58 pm

Sensei wrote:And....we spoke too soon. Left the game today with another "apparent leg injury" in the 8th. Anyone know more??

wondering myself...is he down and out again tonight???? :-o :-o :~(

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Sensei » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:08 pm

Well, if it's his groin again, I wish they had just given him a few more days off 'til it healed. I hope it's nothing more than a re-aggrevation, so maybe they'll get a clue and let him get back to full health.
"I've failed over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." - Michael Jordan
Sensei
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Prooks25 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:14 am

Any update? This is unreal.
Prooks25
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:33 am

I feel pretty stupid right now. I bench him for his 2 hr game and play him for the reinjury. :-P
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates