Chipper Jones - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Chipper Jones

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Chipper Jones

Postby champy41 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:46 pm

is he going to play tonight? i heard most likely not, but should i go ahead and bench him and put corey patteron in there at util against kazmir? every hitting stat is extremely close.
champy41
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Chipper Jones

Postby Ursa » Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:48 pm

champy41 wrote:is he going to play tonight? i heard most likely not, but should i go ahead and bench him and put corey patteron in there at util against kazmir? every hitting stat is extremely close.

I would definitely play Patterson - Cox said Chipper will likely sit out.
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Doughhead » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:22 pm

How serious is this?
DOUGHHEAD
Doughhead
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Guzman24 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:49 pm

Ya, how serious is this injury? I need to post my lineup for next week
Guzman24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby The Big Train » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:34 pm

Looks like the coming week is a wash for Chipper... those damn obliques... Lugo missed a month, Pujols almost a month, Rich Harden we know about, Noah Lowry out a month... all with oblique problems.

PHILADELPHIA -- The Braves will be without either of the Joneses for the final two games of the current series against the Phillies. But it's obvious that they are much more concerned about Chipper Jones' oblique injury than they are the sore back that should keep Andruw Jones out until Tuesday.

"They're both still hurting," Braves manager Bobby Cox said before Sunday night's game. "I'll give them a few more days."

When Chipper arrived at Citizens Bank Park on Sunday afternoon, he didn't give Braves head trainer Jeff Porter much indication that his left oblique was feeling any better. The veteran third baseman, who is carrying a career-best 20-game hitting streak, began feeling the pain after taking a swing in the first inning of Friday night's game.

Chipper played the remainder of Friday's game in pain and would have been out of Saturday's lineup if rain hadn't caused a postponement. It's too early for the Braves to place him on the disabled list, but the injury is one that could cause him to be out until at least the start of next weekend's series against the Mets at Turner Field.

"Anytime you're dealing with an oblique, it can be an extended period," Porter said.

When Andruw reported for work on Sunday, Porter was pleased to find the spasms that had bothered the veteran center fielder the previous two days were gone. But there was still some inflammation around the muscles between his shoulder blades.

"He's definitely day-to-day," Porter said.

Cox says there's a chance Andruw will play in Monday night's series finale against the Phillies, but the Gold Glove outfielder says he'll likely wait until Tuesday, when he'll be able to visit his chiropractor in Atlanta.

"I probably won't play in this series," said Andruw, who began feeling the discomfort before Friday's game and the condition worsened when he awoke on Saturday.

When he's felt similar pain in the past, the veteran outfielder has visited this chiropractor, who has been able to provide immediate relief.
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Big Train » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:07 am

Macon.com had this tidbit whcih sounds more positive:

A good sign came Sunday evening when the third baseman, who injured the side in his first at-bat Friday, emerged to take grounders, play catch and shag fly balls during batting practice before the nationally televised game.

He missed five games in May 2005 because of an oblique strain, but he said Saturday he considers this tweak milder and in a different area, closer to his waist.
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby free » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:32 am

The Big Train wrote:Macon.com had this tidbit whcih sounds more positive:

A good sign came Sunday evening when the third baseman, who injured the side in his first at-bat Friday, emerged to take grounders, play catch and shag fly balls during batting practice before the nationally televised game.

He missed five games in May 2005 because of an oblique strain, but he said Saturday he considers this tweak milder and in a different area, closer to his waist.

whew, thanks ;-D
Member #3 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club
free
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mreater71 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:29 pm

U would figure after two days of being down that there would be more accurate information on the severity of the injury and same with Andruw!
Mreater71
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Injuries & Player Updates