#1 Waiver on Quentin?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

#1 Waiver on Quentin??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby rmande09 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:46 pm

I wasn't being rude to you Purple Haze, in any way. My D'backs "homer" comment was a joke and meant to be taken lightly, I'm sorry I didn't make that a bit more clear.

I completely agree with you about the D'backs prospects - they are VERY good and are part of the best minor league system in baseball. Quentin WILL be a stud, but, as you said, Delmon and Gordon are better fantasy choices.

If you read my earlier post, I explained to you why both players WILL be called up in September. The D'Rays executives said, in the midst of Young's suspension, that, barring any other altercations, Delmon WOULD be called up in September when the rosters expand and the AAA season ends, which is September 4th. Durham will not be in the playoffs this year, so Delmon will be with the Big club BY early September.

Gordon is on the 40-man roster, and with the expectation of him being the starter for KC entering next season, it is HIGHLY probable that they will call him up when the AAA season is over in September. That is a general practice for top prospects that are almost ready. Their other option is to send him home at the seasons conclusion when they could have him gaining invaluable experience for next season.

Gordon IS playing for TEAM USA, but that ends, at the latest, Aug. 15. He will then be sent to AAA, which ends September 4th as well, and Omaha will not be in the playoffs, as they are currently in last place in their division and the 2nd worst team in the PCL.

Man, you really need to chill out. I was just telling this guy he needs to wait because he could get Delmon over Quentin, and you're telling him he should pick up Quentin immediately because "Delmon and Gordon probably won't get called up," which is not true.
C: Pierzynski
1B: Pujols
2B: Altuve
3B: Miggy
SS: HanRam
OF (x3): CarGo, M. Bourn, D. Jennings
UTIL (x2): E. Encarnacion, C. Hart
BN: Cuddyer, C. Ross, J. Montero

SP: Price, Gallardo, T. Hudson, Lester
RP: Chapman, Jansen, Rodney, Putz, Cishek, Bailey
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 972
Joined: 28 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rmande09 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:48 pm

PS - I probably know more about the D'backs prospects than you do, in case you were curious. It's pretty much my job. ;-)
C: Pierzynski
1B: Pujols
2B: Altuve
3B: Miggy
SS: HanRam
OF (x3): CarGo, M. Bourn, D. Jennings
UTIL (x2): E. Encarnacion, C. Hart
BN: Cuddyer, C. Ross, J. Montero

SP: Price, Gallardo, T. Hudson, Lester
RP: Chapman, Jansen, Rodney, Putz, Cishek, Bailey
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 972
Joined: 28 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Purple Haze » Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:09 pm

rmande09 wrote:PS - I probably know more about the D'backs prospects than you do, in case you were curious. It's pretty much my job. ;-)


Must be nice to be so perfect...You have nothing on me as far as the DBack prospects are concerned, and actually...in any other aspect of sports period..BET THAT :-D

Again...You are doing nothing more than anyone else here..GIVING an OPINION... Stop acting as if your OPINIONS are more valuable than others! :-P

"It's pretty much your job" And you are who again? :-? :*)
Purple Haze
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 979
Joined: 4 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: where your not looking

Postby Purple Haze » Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:15 pm

rmande09 wrote:Man, you really need to chill out. I was just telling this guy he needs to wait because he could get Delmon over Quentin, and you're telling him he should pick up Quentin immediately because "Delmon and Gordon probably won't get called up," which is not true.



I never said pick up anyone... I simply gave another point of view.. again... Must be nice to be so perfect..where can we purchase your crystal ball?


(Is it possible Gordon, and Young get called up..Yes, very much so...but it is just as possible they are held back till start of next year '07 season)

Stop twisting everything I say...the difference between you and myself...Is that I give my opinion, and always know it is only MY OPINION...You give an opinion, and think everything you say is 100% accurate...

Again..You may be correct, but you have the same chance to be wrong..No matter how perfect you think you are, in regards to predictions..that is all they are is,
OPINIONATED PREDICTIONS!!! ;-D
Purple Haze
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 979
Joined: 4 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: where your not looking

Postby rmande09 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:18 pm

But Delmon REALLY is getting the September call-up. Whoever the GM is down there, I don't know his name, did an interview a few days before Delmon's suspension. Naturally, they asked when to expect to see Delmon in Tampa Bay, and this is pretty much exactly what was said: "Barring any other altercations, Delmon will come up in September when the rosters are expanded."

I'm sure Delmon knows this, and I'm sure he can't wait for September. Assuming he doesn't get suspended, he will get the call-up.

As for Gordon, you are right, he could not get the call-up in September. I was not saying it as a fact, but I was saying that it is a common practice for teams to call-up their top prospects who are closest to the Majors when their minor league seasons end. You initially made it seem like he'd play for Team USA, which I believe he is, and that would be why he would not be available for a September call-up.

Purple Haze wrote: I personally don't think Gordon (Or Butler) will be called up this year, because of USA baseball..(Alex and Billy both from KC will probably be playing USA baseball, and not available for a Sept. call-up)


So I figured I'd let you (and the author of this thread) know that the final possible game is August 15. He would then return, go to AAA, and finish the season there, which ends September 4. I figured this is important to know. Since Gordon is expected to start for the Royals in 2007, it would be highly sensible for them to call him up in September to get him invaluable experience. This is very common practice.

I ap;ologize that we have gotten off on the wrong foot. My initial post in this thread:

Myself wrote:I'm schocked to see you admit Gordon or Young should be better than Quentin! wink.gif He did look good tonite though, I was able to watch thr game.

Good points, except Team USA ends Aug. 15. All those kids start college around Aug. 20.

Gordon and Butler will head to AAA when it is done.

Minor league baseball ends in the beginning of September. That is why rosters expand to 40 September 1st. Gordon and Young will be called up. Both organizations plan for each to start for them next season and will want them to get some experience to see what they need to work on over the winter. It is pretty much a guarantee.

The tough decision will be choosing between the two!


The first sentence in this post was a joke, hence the winking face. I then complimented Quentin. Then I went on to state a few facts, and then I stated my opinion. I should have said, "Young will be called up and Gordon will probably get called up."

My next post:

Myself wrote:Purple Haze is a D'backs "homer" - he's a good guy, but he clearly favors the D'backs players more than anyone else.

Gordon is compared to David Wright with more power, and from the left side. He is a GREAT hitter and has slightly better speed than Wright - a .310-120-40-120-20 line out of Gordon in the next few years would not be surprising. He was the best college hitter in the nation two years in a row and is putting up awesome stats at AA in his first pro season.

Delmon has 40-40 potential. The kid is a monster, has excellent speed, has AWESOME contact ability, squares the ball up to all fields, power to all fields... He could become the best fantasy player in four years.

And both will be called up in September. Wait and use your waiver then.


Again, the "homer" comment was meant to be a joke. It is clear (you admitted it) that you favor D'backs prospects. Then I stated some comps and projections for Gordon and Young, and then I should have ended it with, "And one will get called up and the other should get called up in September. If you want my advice, wait and use your waiver then."

Not expecting you to take my comments personally, you did and flipped out about it, telling me I think my "opinion" on Young is fact. (Which it is!) I did pass my opinion of Gordon being called up as factual, and it is not, but basing it off of the history of call-ups and his situation, I feel it is a pretty safe bet.

I agree that the D'backs have an excellent farm system. Our rankings probably differ, as mine goes Drew-Gonzalez-Upton-Young (Quentin will be up for the rest of the year), but that's just opinion. I'm also a huge fan of Owings, Torra, and Callaspo.

You are talking about how there is an equal chance of them being called up or not. What do you really believe? Young is getting called up, but do you really think they won't call him up? Both results are possible, but it is highly unlikely they send him home when he could be gaining experience at Kansas City.

Lets calm down about this "perfect" crap. When you are trying to prove a point, your best bet in proving the point is to state facts and state opinions as if they are facts. That is what I do. I state facts as facts and opinions as fact-like, and that is what makes my argument stronger. That does not make me "perfect."

Last thing: where did you read Gordon and Butler would be playing for Team USA? I heard this somewhere as well, but now that I think about it, Gordon and Butler are professionals, and professionals can only play for Team USA in the WBC and the Olympics. This is the National USA team, and college kids (amateurs) are only allowed to participate. Team USA has been playing for over a month now, and Butler and Gordon are still at Wichita, so I guess this must not be true.
C: Pierzynski
1B: Pujols
2B: Altuve
3B: Miggy
SS: HanRam
OF (x3): CarGo, M. Bourn, D. Jennings
UTIL (x2): E. Encarnacion, C. Hart
BN: Cuddyer, C. Ross, J. Montero

SP: Price, Gallardo, T. Hudson, Lester
RP: Chapman, Jansen, Rodney, Putz, Cishek, Bailey
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 972
Joined: 28 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby FalcoAtL » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:56 am

OK most of this info doesn't really help me... Thanks for the lengthy posts tho... ;-D

Since this is Yahoo and its a Dynasty league Delmon has obviously already been taken. So should I solely wait on Gordon? Or is there any top guy that may have a chance at being called up? I remember last year Zim got the call even though he had had only one partial year in the minors after the draft. Is there any chance a player that was drafted this summer could be called up in Sept?
Image
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 1890
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 1 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:34 am

i dont want to get involved in this, but i think expecting .310-40-120-20 from gordon "for the next few years" is a HUGE stretch for any player right off the bat....albert pujols is the best young hitter EVER and even he has not put up that line yet. so id pretty much lower your expectations for the time being (delmon and the 40/40 thing included, maybe knock it down to 30/30 short-term)




p.s. who do you work for? are you a writer, broadcaster, journalist, etc???
Image

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16051
Joined: 1 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Eternal Bliss

Postby rmande09 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:24 am

Snakes, I wasn't saying I expect or even think they could put those numbers up until their prime. However, those are their ceilings for when they do reach their prime, 5-6-7 years ahead.

I'd wait on Gordon. If Young is already picked up and Gordon is available, wait for him in September. I don't think anyone from this years draft will be up this year as it was verrrry weak. Go with Gordon!

And I work in the business. That's all the info I really feel like I should disclose.
C: Pierzynski
1B: Pujols
2B: Altuve
3B: Miggy
SS: HanRam
OF (x3): CarGo, M. Bourn, D. Jennings
UTIL (x2): E. Encarnacion, C. Hart
BN: Cuddyer, C. Ross, J. Montero

SP: Price, Gallardo, T. Hudson, Lester
RP: Chapman, Jansen, Rodney, Putz, Cishek, Bailey
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 972
Joined: 28 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:00 am

rmande09 wrote:And I work in the business. That's all the info I really feel like I should disclose.



??? why? whats the big secret...there are plenty of "journalists" that are on here frequently, including matt buser who is right on the front page of yahoo! sports at least once a week...whats there to hide?
Image

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16051
Joined: 1 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Eternal Bliss

Postby Purple Haze » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:11 am

rmande09 wrote:But Delmon REALLY is getting the September call-up. Whoever the GM is down there, I don't know his name, did an interview a few days before Delmon's suspension. Naturally, they asked when to expect to see Delmon in Tampa Bay, and this is pretty much exactly what was said: "Barring any other altercations, Delmon will come up in September when the rosters are expanded."

I'm sure Delmon knows this, and I'm sure he can't wait for September. Assuming he doesn't get suspended, he will get the call-up.

As for Gordon, you are right, he could not get the call-up in September. I was not saying it as a fact, but I was saying that it is a common practice for teams to call-up their top prospects who are closest to the Majors when their minor league seasons end. You initially made it seem like he'd play for Team USA, which I believe he is, and that would be why he would not be available for a September call-up.

Purple Haze wrote: I personally don't think Gordon (Or Butler) will be called up this year, because of USA baseball..(Alex and Billy both from KC will probably be playing USA baseball, and not available for a Sept. call-up)


So I figured I'd let you (and the author of this thread) know that the final possible game is August 15. He would then return, go to AAA, and finish the season there, which ends September 4. I figured this is important to know. Since Gordon is expected to start for the Royals in 2007, it would be highly sensible for them to call him up in September to get him invaluable experience. This is very common practice.

I ap;ologize that we have gotten off on the wrong foot. My initial post in this thread:

Myself wrote:I'm schocked to see you admit Gordon or Young should be better than Quentin! wink.gif He did look good tonite though, I was able to watch thr game.

Good points, except Team USA ends Aug. 15. All those kids start college around Aug. 20.

Gordon and Butler will head to AAA when it is done.

Minor league baseball ends in the beginning of September. That is why rosters expand to 40 September 1st. Gordon and Young will be called up. Both organizations plan for each to start for them next season and will want them to get some experience to see what they need to work on over the winter. It is pretty much a guarantee.

The tough decision will be choosing between the two!


The first sentence in this post was a joke, hence the winking face. I then complimented Quentin. Then I went on to state a few facts, and then I stated my opinion. I should have said, "Young will be called up and Gordon will probably get called up."

My next post:

Myself wrote:Purple Haze is a D'backs "homer" - he's a good guy, but he clearly favors the D'backs players more than anyone else.

Gordon is compared to David Wright with more power, and from the left side. He is a GREAT hitter and has slightly better speed than Wright - a .310-120-40-120-20 line out of Gordon in the next few years would not be surprising. He was the best college hitter in the nation two years in a row and is putting up awesome stats at AA in his first pro season.

Delmon has 40-40 potential. The kid is a monster, has excellent speed, has AWESOME contact ability, squares the ball up to all fields, power to all fields... He could become the best fantasy player in four years.

And both will be called up in September. Wait and use your waiver then.


Again, the "homer" comment was meant to be a joke. It is clear (you admitted it) that you favor D'backs prospects. Then I stated some comps and projections for Gordon and Young, and then I should have ended it with, "And one will get called up and the other should get called up in September. If you want my advice, wait and use your waiver then."

Not expecting you to take my comments personally, you did and flipped out about it, telling me I think my "opinion" on Young is fact. (Which it is!) I did pass my opinion of Gordon being called up as factual, and it is not, but basing it off of the history of call-ups and his situation, I feel it is a pretty safe bet.

I agree that the D'backs have an excellent farm system. Our rankings probably differ, as mine goes Drew-Gonzalez-Upton-Young (Quentin will be up for the rest of the year), but that's just opinion. I'm also a huge fan of Owings, Torra, and Callaspo.

You are talking about how there is an equal chance of them being called up or not. What do you really believe? Young is getting called up, but do you really think they won't call him up? Both results are possible, but it is highly unlikely they send him home when he could be gaining experience at Kansas City.

Lets calm down about this "perfect" crap. When you are trying to prove a point, your best bet in proving the point is to state facts and state opinions as if they are facts. That is what I do. I state facts as facts and opinions as fact-like, and that is what makes my argument stronger. That does not make me "perfect."

Last thing: where did you read Gordon and Butler would be playing for Team USA? I heard this somewhere as well, but now that I think about it, Gordon and Butler are professionals, and professionals can only play for Team USA in the WBC and the Olympics. This is the National USA team, and college kids (amateurs) are only allowed to participate. Team USA has been playing for over a month now, and Butler and Gordon are still at Wichita, so I guess this must not be true.


Now that makes more sense... Thanks, and you make very good points... I also agree with you in regards to Delmon Young getting the call (90% sure..I always leave wiggle room ;-) )

From what was just posted, we learn..
The initial poster can't even pick up Delmon (Wasn't made clear, was just asked "Who else besides Gordon might get called up")

So basically it's between Quentin (Who is up now, and raking) or Gordon..(Who I still feel the Royals will wait til '07 to start the clock)



As for "Team USA" I can't remember off hand where I read that, but as you said..You thought so as well, so we both must have read that same source...
Damn Source's ;-)

I'll check on that one, and get back to you...(But not in this post, I Feel like maybe we hijacked his topic... :-D even though between the both of us, and all the other posts..There was some VERY good information, and different points of view to choose from) That is what makes the Cafe great...All the "Factual" ;-7 opinions ;-D
Purple Haze
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 979
Joined: 4 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: where your not looking

PreviousNext

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact