#1 Waiver on Quentin?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

#1 Waiver on Quentin??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

#1 Waiver on Quentin??

Postby FalcoAtL » Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:31 am

Obviously a potential 30 hr guy, but the probable lack of playing time makes me think he's not worth it. I already have an OF of Drew, Wells, Swisher, Markakis, Jenkins and Crisp, but am looking to make a deal for starting pitching with one of them. I would really like to make a nice pickup with my high waiver priority, but I would also like to prevent other teams that have continuously been getting slightly lower than top notch prospects from loading up even more. Should I take the chance with Quentin or wait for a guy like Gordon to be called up? If you feel I should hold off on using the waiver priority, which top offensive prospects besides Gordon will likely get the call before the end of the season?
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby teddyballgamemvp » Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:40 am

For this year alone?
Chris Iannetta was born on Krypton and transported to Earth as an infant and saves the universe when he's not getting on base every plate appearance.
teddyballgamemvp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby FalcoAtL » Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:06 am

Sorry its a Dynasty league.
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Niffoc4 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:15 am

Dynasty league he isn't a bad choice, Gordon might not get called up at all this year with Teahen hitting okay, Delmon may not get called up either... not sure if you wouldn't be better off waiting for Chris Young (though he is not a definite call up this year unless they trade Gonzo AND Green)
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby rmande09 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:22 am

Niffoc4 wrote:Dynasty league he isn't a bad choice, Gordon might not get called up at all this year with Teahen hitting okay, Delmon may not get called up either... not sure if you wouldn't be better off waiting for Chris Young (though he is not a definite call up this year unless they trade Gonzo AND Green)

In my opinion, you'd be better off waiting. Gordon and Young will be September call-ups, and both are elite. Quentin is a nice prospect, but even 30 HR might be a bit too high for him. A loy of his value lies in his defense.
C: Pierzynski
1B: Pujols
2B: Altuve
3B: Miggy
SS: HanRam
OF (x3): CarGo, M. Bourn, D. Jennings
UTIL (x2): E. Encarnacion, C. Hart
BN: Cuddyer, C. Ross, J. Montero

SP: Price, Gallardo, T. Hudson, Lester
RP: Chapman, Jansen, Rodney, Putz, Cishek, Bailey
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Purple Haze » Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:03 am

FalcoAtL wrote:Sorry its a Dynasty league.

Quentin has been ready for sometime, and only needed a chance to show it... He plays in a VERY hitter friendly park, and is showing he is for real..(Hopefully he will continue this hot start)

That being said... Alex Gordon should be even better, at a tougher position too boot..

I personally don't think Gordon (Or Butler) will be called up this year, because of USA baseball..(Alex and Billy both from KC will probably be playing USA baseball, and not available for a Sept. call-up)

In addition...Tampa Bay with nothing to play for..Might wait til the start of next year, and have Delmon enter the '07 season as the starter, and keep him in the minors for the rest of this year... Just to insure his head is in the game, and his temper under control...

Yes...Alex Gordon, and Delmon Young should be better "Fantasy" contributors eventually..but good chance it doesn't happen until start of '07 season...

Would suck to wait, and lose out on Quentin...if Alex and Delmon Don't get called up...(Nothing is for sure, except Quentin is gonna get regular AB's in the Bigs, or Melvin and DBacks never would have called him up)

Just something to consider... :-?
Purple Haze
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rmande09 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:28 am

Purple Haze wrote:
FalcoAtL wrote:Sorry its a Dynasty league.

Quentin has been ready for sometime, and only needed a chance to show it... He plays in a VERY hitter friendly park, and is showing he is for real..(Hopefully he will continue this hot start)

That being said... Alex Gordon should be even better, at a tougher position too boot..

I personally don't think Gordon (Or Butler) will be called up this year, because of USA baseball..(Alex and Billy both from KC will probably be playing USA baseball, and not available for a Sept. call-up)

In addition...Tampa Bay with nothing to play for..Might wait til the start of next year, and have Delmon enter the '07 season as the starter, and keep him in the minors for the rest of this year... Just to insure his head is in the game, and his temper under control...

Yes...Alex Gordon, and Delmon Young should be better "Fantasy" contributors eventually..but good chance it doesn't happen until start of '07 season...

Would suck to wait, and lose out on Quentin...if Alex and Delmon Don't get called up...(Nothing is for sure, except Quentin is gonna get regular AB's in the Bigs, or Melvin and DBacks never would have called him up)

Just something to consider... :-?

I'm schocked to see you admit Gordon or Young should be better than Quentin! ;-) He did look good tonite though, I was able to watch thr game.

Good points, except Team USA ends Aug. 15. All those kids start college around Aug. 20.

Gordon and Butler will head to AAA when it is done.

Minor league baseball ends in the beginning of September. That is why rosters expand to 40 September 1st. Gordon and Young will be called up. Both organizations plan for each to start for them next season and will want them to get some experience to see what they need to work on over the winter. It is pretty much a guarantee.

The tough decision will be choosing between the two!

rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Members Only Jackets » Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:37 am

Dynasty, YES!

Someone on another site said he's like Magglio Ordonez w/ the walks...expect that kind of production (eventually) out of him...

I'm excited about him because unlike some prospects called up, he's been seasoned in the minors long enough IMO.
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 2)

Postby rmande09 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:17 am

Members Only Jackets wrote:Dynasty, YES!

Someone on another site said he's like Magglio Ordonez w/ the walks...expect that kind of production (eventually) out of him...

I'm excited about him because unlike some prospects called up, he's been seasoned in the minors long enough IMO.

Purple Haze is a D'backs "homer" - he's a good guy, but he clearly favors the D'backs players more than anyone else.

Gordon is compared to David Wright with more power, and from the left side. He is a GREAT hitter and has slightly better speed than Wright - a .310-120-40-120-20 line out of Gordon in the next few years would not be surprising. He was the best college hitter in the nation two years in a row and is putting up awesome stats at AA in his first pro season.

Delmon has 40-40 potential. The kid is a monster, has excellent speed, has AWESOME contact ability, squares the ball up to all fields, power to all fields... He could become the best fantasy player in four years.

And both will be called up in September. Wait and use your waiver then.

rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Purple Haze » Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:28 pm

rmande09 wrote:
Members Only Jackets wrote:Dynasty, YES!

Purple Haze is a D'backs "homer" - he's a good guy, but he clearly favors the D'backs players more than anyone else.

Gordon is compared to David Wright with more power, and from the left side. He is a GREAT hitter and has slightly better speed than Wright - a .310-120-40-120-20 line out of Gordon in the next few years would not be surprising. He was the best college hitter in the nation two years in a row and is putting up awesome stats at AA in his first pro season.

Delmon has 40-40 potential. The kid is a monster, has excellent speed, has AWESOME contact ability, squares the ball up to all fields, power to all fields... He could become the best fantasy player in four years.

And both will be called up in September. Wait and use your waiver then.

Here we go again...because I live here in AZ, and know more about the DBack prospects than rmande09...
I happen to agree with many of the write-ups claiming Drew,Upton,Quentin,Young,C.Gonzalez,Montero, and company... Many of the top tier prospects in the minors are, and will be VERY good major league players... and defend them as such, because of "My own opinions" on watching them play in person!

I don't favor the DBacks more than everyone else...just many of them more then many of the current prospects..As does most of the sports nation..(But I'm a Homer..DOH ;-7 )

rmande09 wrote: Purple Haze is a D'backs "homer" - he's a good guy, but he clearly favors the D'backs players more than anyone else.

I just said...Alex Gordon, and Delmon Young should be better "Fantasy" contributors than Carlos Quentin...

Purple Haze wrote: Yes...Alex Gordon, and Delmon Young should be better "Fantasy" contributors eventually..but good chance it doesn't happen until start of '07 season...

I just don't think it's set in stone they will get called up in September..(Gordon and Young) SO its a choice..Do you wait, and lose out on a stud like Quentin, with a VERY good chance A.Gordon, and or D.Young don't get the September call-up..(Gave my reasons why..again..My opinion)

Again...rmande09 thinks his opinions are fact, and his opinions are locks to happen... "He is a good guy" but take everything he say's with a grain of salt..He is obviously bias to his own opinions, and doesn't allow for anyone else to have an opinion that matters!

Thanks again Mr. "rmande09" for feeling the need to focus on my opinion..again you flatter me ;-7
Purple Haze
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball