Kelvim Escobar - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Kelvim Escobar

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Kelvim Escobar

Postby fbc_fan » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:49 pm

i've had the patience of a saint with this guy, but all he does is disappoint. is it time to cut him loose or should i give him another couple of starts? a pitcher with the ability to K almost a guy per inning (in 04) seems like a relatively valuable commodity, but he's been downright terrible thus far.
thanks to madison/go_jays_go for the slick sig!
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BillyMafia » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:42 pm

I'm with you. I had him in 2004 and drafted him last year. I drafted him this year and have held on to him all year but have been waiting for him to go on DL again or blow up but he doesn't pitch terrible. T Hudson is on waivers and I compared their stats and Escobar still has better stats this year but still can't decide whether to drop him or not. Escobar pitches against Boston so it would be less likely that someone would pick him up.
BillyMafia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Justblaze » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:26 pm

I'd stay with him. He still has dominating stuff. Give him at least two or three more starts. Plus the Angels are hitting again, giving him more run support. I wouldn't drop him.

But that's just me. Me, whom, has been EXETREMELY patient with Prior and Sheets. :-D
Justblaze
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby pangbones » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:27 pm

i've been backing him all year as well, and I'm about to cut him loose too. After I read that he'll be pitching in pain the rest of the year, that was the straw that broke the camels back. I'm only holding onto him for now because I have him stashed on my DL at the moment, so I can keep him there until I need to make a move.
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby fbc_fan » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:05 am

pangbones wrote:i've been backing him all year as well, and I'm about to cut him loose too. After I read that he'll be pitching in pain the rest of the year, that was the straw that broke the camels back. I'm only holding onto him for now because I have him stashed on my DL at the moment, so I can keep him there until I need to make a move.

where did you read that? i assumed the extra rest after the break was so that he could heal and pitch the rest of the year without incident. hearing this makes me not want to own him anymore... :-P
thanks to madison/go_jays_go for the slick sig!
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Big Train » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:12 am

Gee, sounds positive... :-[ He goes nicely with the rest of my staff: Peavy, Pettitte, Davis and Lowry :-t

Escobar to play through pain
By Doug Padilla Staff Writer

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Kelvim Escobar will return to the mound tonight resigned to the fact he will pitch with varying degrees of pain for the rest of the season.

Escobar, who just completed a stint on the disabled list because of elbow tendinitis, said he typically feels a pinch in the back of his right elbow while on the mound. It happens mostly when he throws fastballs and sliders.

"It feels kind of like last year," said Escobar, who had surgery last season to shave down a bone spur and remove a bone chip. "It's something that's not going to go away.

"It's not going to be 100 percent. That's normal from having a bone spur removed last year."

The right-hander figures he won't get complete relief until he takes time off this off-season.

Escobar admitted that his velocity is slightly down this season and his breaking balls aren't as crisp as they have been in the past.

"I know I can pitch without my velocity," Escobar said. "As long as I don't feel pain I can deal with that. One thing is if you feel pain when you throw you'll have it in your mind.

"You're not going to be be able to stay focused and make pitches."

Taking the last two weeks off might be what Escobar needed to get through the remainder of the season.

"It doesn't scare me because it's 99 percent better from last year," he said. "Maybe it's scar tissue. As long as it's not my ligament, I'm not worried about it."

Manager Mike Scioscia said Escobar will not have any restrictions when he pitches tonight, although Escobar said his elbow pain typically gets intense when he hits the 100-pitch mark.
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pangbones » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:50 am

Per Rotoworld:
Kelvim Escobar said Sunday that his elbow is sore following pitching seven innings Saturday, but he won't miss his next start.
"It's not going to go away for now," Escobar said. "It's something I have to deal with. I have to stay on top of my treatments."

Like I said before, he's gone as soon as I can't keep him on the DL anymore.
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby rainman23 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:05 am

Man, what a confusing article. None of it was great news, of course. But it seemed to contradict itself several times. I can't tell whether there remains reason for optimism or not. Is he in pain, or isn't he? Can he pitch effectively in pain, or can't he? Did the layoff help, or didn't it? :-?
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby chinst » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:55 pm

Thanks for the article, TBT -- I think I'll go see if I can get anything for Kelvim now...
chinst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rentz » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:23 pm

im seriously considering dropping him now instead of activating him off the dl....but there is jack for pitching in my league.
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates