Do you consider this move unethical or underhanded? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Do you consider this move unethical or underhanded?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:31 am

Sounds like sour grapes. The original trading GM is dung. Tell him to take a hike.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dorje3 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:47 am

Not underhanded, but the your trade should have been vetoed as well imo.
dorje3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby cobbs87 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:28 am

Wow we have the exact same issue in our league. One of my friends is a noob and frequantly swindled. Another friend took some college courses on sabermetrics and knows baseball like its his job. He has both made underhanded offers and accepted crap offers. I always protest and he gets pissed. It is messed up though that he bolsters his team at the same persons expense. I would say avoid having extreme noobs in fantasy leagues. And you should definitely crack down on the lopsided trades. For everyone.
cobbs87
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Re: Do you consider this move unethical or underhanded?

Postby teddyballgamemvp » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:43 am

deutschland wrote:This is for my main league, a standard 12-team Roto 5x5er. We have one newbie this year who appears to be completely clueless. He is friends with 2 people in the league and has barely made any transactions all year, so obviously there has been concern all year that he will be taken advantage of in a trade. I've been monitoring his activities closely, as I'm sure the other owners in my league have.
A couple of days ago he proposes a horrible trade to another owner who instantly accepts:

Santana
Zambrano
for
Dempster
Putz

It eventually gets vetoed by ESPN league commish (surprise, surprise, right?) While the trade is being reviewed I decide to send the new guy a "fair" offer, knowing that his current trade will surely get vetoed and that these 2 guys will probably try to work out a better deal. I at least wanted to give the new guy a better idea of what someone like Santana is worth so that he doesn't get screwed by my competition. So I offer him:

Mariano Rivera
Felipe Lopez
for
Santana
Jenkins

To my surprise he accepts the deal. Fine. I get Santana and he gets some fair value in return (his weaknesses are saves and steals).

The other owner is now so pissed that I pulled this "underhanded" move that he is threatening to quit the league.

Do you consider what I did unethical or underhanded, keeping in mind I'm good friends with the guy who is now pissed?

He got his just desserts for putting in a ridiculously low bid for those players. He's not mad at you, he's mad at himself for trying to get away with something unethical and not getting away with it by ESPN's "mods." He knows it was stupid in hindsight, but can't change anything. Tell him you'll deal Santana for a fair price, and listen to the crickets chirp.

Oh, and the main underhanded thing regarding interference is to bad mouth a proposal you find out about to the person you think is getting screwed before it's accepted. This isn't the case here. The proposal was accepted and then up for review and it failed under review. So, if you find out someone is offering Rivera in a trade and talk to that guy about how last year was his really great year and that he's starting to regress-- that sort of thing.
Last edited by teddyballgamemvp on Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Iannetta was born on Krypton and transported to Earth as an infant and saves the universe when he's not getting on base every plate appearance.
teddyballgamemvp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Matthias » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:46 am

you're worse than the original GM. he, at least, only accepted a bad offer which was proposed to him. you proposed something was bad. if you really just wanted to "educate" the new guy, you could have shown him any variety of player rankings or the trade board here. you didn't have to do it by fleecing him.

:-t
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Two Words

Postby prricci » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:49 am

I would send the other owner two words

bye bye...

Nothing unethical about your trade...giving him what he needs. The other guy is just crying because his unethical offer was vetoed.
prricci
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby teddyballgamemvp » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:59 am

Matthias wrote:you're worse than the original GM. he, at least, only accepted a bad offer which was proposed to him. you proposed something was bad. if you really just wanted to "educate" the new guy, you could have shown him any variety of player rankings or the trade board here. you didn't have to do it by fleecing him.

:-t

I agree on that part. F-Lop and Mo don't get you Santana, much less having to give up someone else besides Santana. The accepted proposal should probably be vetoed, but offering a counter offer that is better than the original offer isn't unethical, if done after the original was voided.
Chris Iannetta was born on Krypton and transported to Earth as an infant and saves the universe when he's not getting on base every plate appearance.
teddyballgamemvp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby JTWood » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:04 am

You're a smart man for moving in with a better offer.

Whether it will pass gusto is a different story, but you essentially made the right move.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:05 am

Ursa wrote:Since the original trade was nulled out, I don't see the problem with what happened. If your buddy is pissed about it, you should point out how underhand his attempt to take advantage of the rookie was.

Agreed. ;-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby deutschland » Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:12 pm

thanks for all of the replies everyone. i'm surprised that some of you think my deal of rivera and f. lopez for santana is veto material. we'll see in a couple of hours if espn lets it go.
deutschland
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers