Best pitching duel of the year??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Best pitching duel of the year???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Best pitching duel of the year???

Postby demoflauchy » Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:52 pm

Willis vs. Johnson? Harden vs. Pedro? Both of these just stuck in mind b/c of the young vs. old matchup.

What are the other great games that pitchers highlighted the evening/day???
demoflauchy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PresHabib » Tue Aug 26, 2003 4:34 pm

Well of those two I would have to pick Willis/Johnson, not only because it really was the best duel of the year, but because Harden/Pedro never happened. The only game Pedro started against Oakland, Hudson threw that 2hit shutout. Now, if you meant Hudson Vs. Pedro i still say no cuz that really wasnt a duel at all, that was just Hudson tooling on the sox and pedro gave up 2 runs over a measly 5 innings.

My vote goes to Millwood/Foppert. Funny thing is, we don't remember it as Millwood vs. Foppert because Millwood threw his no-no that day. The only thing about that game is that Foppert only went 6 innings...if he threw one more inning I thin it would be a lock for that game. Even still, I think that game was the best duel of the season.

True both games were dominated by one pitcher, but Foppert was considerably better against millwood than Pedro was against Hudson.
Rest in peace Mitch Hedberg. I name my fantasy team "Buoyancy of Citrus", in your honor.
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby demoflauchy » Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:02 pm

Yes, sorry. Hudson vs. Pedro. I'm Harden brainwashed... :*)
demoflauchy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby PresHabib » Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:22 pm

haha, ok good. I was wondering what you were talking about. I was real confused for a second.

I still though, dont think that was good pitching duel..on paper, oh hell yeah, i was hyped for it...but it wound up being nothing special, other than a great performance by hudson.

I still say the best two way pitching feature was Millwood/Foppert, even if you ahve to extend it Millwood vs Foppert and the two guys who came out of the giants pen. The only run was scored on a Ricky Ledee first inning homer and there were four hits between the two teams COMBINED. Nomar had 5 (or was it 6) in a game against the Phillies later in the year as well! Now THAT says something about the pitching caliber exhibited in that game. That was the single greatest two sided pitching display of the year. The only game that comes close is that Willis/Johnson game on ESPN. SO nasty.
Rest in peace Mitch Hedberg. I name my fantasy team "Buoyancy of Citrus", in your honor.
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby demoflauchy » Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:49 pm

Maddux vs Schilling a few weeks back??? Schilling had 12K's and won 2-0 -- Maddux gave up 7 hits, but just 1 ER.

It's tough to go against the no-no that Milwood threw...good choice.
demoflauchy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby PresHabib » Tue Aug 26, 2003 6:31 pm

Oh yeah, Schilling Maddux was good. Forgot about that one.
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jdh » Tue Aug 26, 2003 6:50 pm

What about the Mulder vs Pettitte duel a few weeks ago. Mulder allowed 1 ER in 9 innings, and Pettite came out to get the CG, walked the leadoff guy, and Rivera came in and stunk up the joint giving the A's the win.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers