Jeter - Great Leader? - look again - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jeter - Great Leader? - look again

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:45 pm

Because unlike the choker, I remember Giambi hitting two Hrs off Pedro in the 2003 ALCS. Giambi is not a pompous horse's rear end either although he is hardly Mr. Nice Guy either.

The Arod apologists around here are almost as bad as the Bonds apologists. Making excuses for the choker. The NY papers have pretty much left Giambi alone after the pseudo-apology. For whatever reason he has managed not to earn the ire of the Media or the fans despite his obvious problems. Arod can win all the MVP titles he wants and wrack up lots of nice homers vs Travis Harper in May. When crunch time came, the 25 M a year MVP turns into Rey Ordonez and chokes on his own ego and phoniness. That is why the papers are circling like vultures waiting to rip on him for every mistake he makes. And he deserves every ounce of it.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Strasil42 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:49 pm

Rodríguez has been more susceptible than his teammates to such criticism, because he has never played for a championship team. Derek Jeter, for example, also has one of the largest contracts in baseball, and has hit poorly against the Red Sox in both the 2003 and 2004 ALCS. He also batted .148 in the seven-game World Series loss to the Diamondbacks. Jeter, however, has escaped criticism, in part due to the sizeable reservoir of goodwill he accrued when his Yankee teams won four World Series. Rodríguez, the team's highest-profile new addition prior to the 2004 season, has no such winning history with New York.

In the bitter aftermath of the 2004 loss to Boston, Rodríguez's performance in the previous playoff series against Minnesota, which included a go-ahead home run and a game-tying double in the bottom of the 12th in one game [3], and an 11th inning double, steal, and series-winning run in another [4], was forgotten. Some of Rodríguez's detractors took to calling the third baseman "A-Fraud."

Over his career, Rodríguez's postseason numbers are statistically indistinguishable from his regular-season record.[5]

In May 2006, Rodríguez finally responded to the criticism: "I could care less. In my career, I've been hearing it for a long time. It will never stop until you win five or six World Series in a row, and hit a Joe Carter home run. I've done a lot of special things in this game, and for none of that to be considered clutch, it's an injustice. I don't take anything personally; I enjoy it, it motivates me and I think it's comical. I think (for) anyone that drives in over 130 runs numerous times in his career, it's impossible not to be clutch."

From Wiki.
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:52 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Because unlike the choker, I remember Giambi hitting two Hrs off Pedro in the 2003 ALCS. Giambi is not a pompous horse's rear end either although he is hardly Mr. Nice Guy either.

The Arod apologists around here are almost as bad as the Bonds apologists. Making excuses for the choker. The NY papers have pretty much left Giambi alone after the pseudo-apology. For whatever reason he has managed not to earn the ire of the Media or the fans despite his obvious problems. Arod can win all the MVP titles he wants and wrack up lots of nice homers vs Travis Harper in May. When crunch time came, the 25 M a year MVP turns into Rey Ordonez and chokes on his own ego and phoniness. That is why the papers are circling like vultures waiting to rip on him for every mistake he makes. And he deserves every ounce of it.

A-Rod's career postseason numbers...

.305 BA
.393 OBP
.534 SLG%

...but yeah, keep calling him Mr. May.

He dominated the Twins in the 2004 ALDS. He played as well as anyone else in the 2004 ALCS, and he struggled in the 2005 ALDS. Everyone has a bad series. Jeter has played terribly in postseason series. So has Tino. So has Bernie. So has O'Neil. So has any player you wish to name.

He plays badly for 5 games of the ALDS (the same ALDS that A-Rod helped the Yankees get to, by winning an MVP award and hitting a homerun against Boston that helped them clinch the division during the final weekend) and he's suddenly Mr. Choke?

Why isn't Sheffield a choker? He hasn't won as a Yankee. Either has Giambi. Or Matsui. Or Mussina. Nah, they're fine. It's just A-Rod. He's the reason the Yankees have lost every year since 2000. It's all A-Rod's fault.

Get a clue. :-t
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:54 pm

Strasil42 wrote:Rodríguez has been more susceptible than his teammates to such criticism, because he has never played for a championship team. Derek Jeter, for example, also has one of the largest contracts in baseball, and has hit poorly against the Red Sox in both the 2003 and 2004 ALCS. He also batted .148 in the seven-game World Series loss to the Diamondbacks. Jeter, however, has escaped criticism, in part due to the sizeable reservoir of goodwill he accrued when his Yankee teams won four World Series. Rodríguez, the team's highest-profile new addition prior to the 2004 season, has no such winning history with New York.

In the bitter aftermath of the 2004 loss to Boston, Rodríguez's performance in the previous playoff series against Minnesota, which included a go-ahead home run and a game-tying double in the bottom of the 12th in one game [3], and an 11th inning double, steal, and series-winning run in another [4], was forgotten. Some of Rodríguez's detractors took to calling the third baseman "A-Fraud."

Over his career, Rodríguez's postseason numbers are statistically indistinguishable from his regular-season record.[5]

In May 2006, Rodríguez finally responded to the criticism: "I could care less. In my career, I've been hearing it for a long time. It will never stop until you win five or six World Series in a row, and hit a Joe Carter home run. I've done a lot of special things in this game, and for none of that to be considered clutch, it's an injustice. I don't take anything personally; I enjoy it, it motivates me and I think it's comical. I think (for) anyone that drives in over 130 runs numerous times in his career, it's impossible not to be clutch."

From Wiki.

Yeah well it is comments like that that he could care less about winning big games that earns him a "special" place with the fans. Guess what choker, no one gives a rats behind what you do in May. And if he think's that he should be given some good will like Jeter without earning or proving himself even once in a big game, he is even more pompous than I thought.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Strasil42 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:57 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:
Strasil42 wrote:Rodríguez has been more susceptible than his teammates to such criticism, because he has never played for a championship team. Derek Jeter, for example, also has one of the largest contracts in baseball, and has hit poorly against the Red Sox in both the 2003 and 2004 ALCS. He also batted .148 in the seven-game World Series loss to the Diamondbacks. Jeter, however, has escaped criticism, in part due to the sizeable reservoir of goodwill he accrued when his Yankee teams won four World Series. Rodríguez, the team's highest-profile new addition prior to the 2004 season, has no such winning history with New York.

From Wiki.

Yeah well it is comments like that that he could care less about winning big games that earns him a "special" place with the fans. Guess what choker, no one gives a rats behind what you do in May. And if he think's that he should be given some good will like Jeter without earning or proving himself even once in a big game, he is even more pompous than I thought.

Where are you getting your stats from.....

I don't see how you think May is his best month.

August is his best month, you know the one that is right before September...
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:58 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Yeah well it is comments like that that he could care less about winning big games that earns him a "special" place with the fans. Guess what choker, no one gives a rats behind what you do in May. And if he think's that he should be given some good will like Jeter without earning or proving himself even once in a big game, he is even more pompous than I thought.

Are you blind, or just that ignorant?

He's not saying he doesn't care about winning big games. He's saying he doesn't care about imbeciles like you who call him a choker because he's never played on a team good enough to win it all.

I've rattled off the big hits he's gotten in big games, you just choose to ignore my posts. There must be nearly 20 threads in which we've argued over this, and I'm always the last person to post, because you run out of things to say after "A-Choke! A-Choke! A-Choke!" and "Clueless Cashman!...Clueless Cashman!....Clueless Cashman!"
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Strasil42 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:02 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:Yeah well it is comments like that that he could care less about winning big games that earns him a "special" place with the fans. Guess what choker, no one gives a rats behind what you do in May. And if he think's that he should be given some good will like Jeter without earning or proving himself even once in a big game, he is even more pompous than I thought.

Are you blind, or just that ignorant?

He's not saying he doesn't care about winning big games. He's saying he doesn't care about imbeciles like you who call him a choker because he's never played on a team good enough to win it all.

Exactly.

That shouldn't have been that hard to understand.
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Strasil42 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:04 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:

From Wiki.

Looks like you missed this part of the article. Figures.

Rodríguez's performance in the previous playoff series against Minnesota, which included a go-ahead home run and a game-tying double in the bottom of the 12th in one game [3], and an 11th inning double, steal, and series-winning run in another [4], was forgotten."
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:05 pm

By the way, Alex Rodriguez has 450 career homeruns. According to Yahoo, he only has 2 homeruns off of Travis Harper though.

:-? How can this be? You said that all of his numbers come off of Travis Harper in May! :-?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby brandnew » Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:15 pm

By the way, ARod has a .276/.392/.553/.945 line the past three years in Close and Late situations..
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers