Jeter - Great Leader? - look again - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jeter - Great Leader? - look again

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:40 am

Ajax wrote:Maybe one of the things that makes somebody a good leader, is knowing when to act, and when not to.

Maybe Jeter figured that Giambi needed somebody on the team to stick up for him, and maybe he figures that A-Rod doesn't. Maybe A-Rod asked him not to.

Maybe it's a little silly for us folks that only play fantasy ball to question the leadership of guys that actually go out on the field every day.

Those who can't do, teach. And those that can't even teach, preach.


And maybe some people overanalyze things. All that we are asking for is for him to PUBLICLY say that A-Rod is critical to their success and that he will turn it around. If you don't think that this is personal, you are missing the boat.
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 18)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:43 am

when people say jeter doesnt have arods back what does that even mean? i have to assume jeter gets asked about arod 10 times a day, does he just say no comment every time?
Image
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3757
Joined: 16 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Throwing rocks at The Cubby Bear.

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:46 am

The Miner Part 2 wrote:when people say jeter doesnt have arods back what does that even mean? i have to assume jeter gets asked about arod 10 times a day, does he just say no comment every time?


Well, I follow the team pretty religiously and I haven't seen a positive comment for a long time.
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 18)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Postby Ajax » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:56 am

Lofunzo wrote:All that we are asking for is for him to PUBLICLY say that A-Rod is critical to their success and that he will turn it around. If you don't think that this is personal, you are missing the boat.


You've asked, and Jeter's obviously decided not to do what you're asking him to do. Don't you think he may just have a tad more insight into the psyche of the Yank's clubhouse than you do......seeing as how he actually plays for the Yankees?
Ajax
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 188
Joined: 18 Feb 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:08 am

Lofunzo wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:when people say jeter doesnt have arods back what does that even mean? i have to assume jeter gets asked about arod 10 times a day, does he just say no comment every time?


Well, I follow the team pretty religiously and I haven't seen a positive comment for a long time.


so how does he respond to the questions? im just curious how you can sidestep a straight forward question about how your teamatte is doing.
Image
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3757
Joined: 16 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Throwing rocks at The Cubby Bear.

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:10 am

Ajax wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:All that we are asking for is for him to PUBLICLY say that A-Rod is critical to their success and that he will turn it around. If you don't think that this is personal, you are missing the boat.


You've asked, and Jeter's obviously decided not to do what you're asking him to do. Don't you think he may just have a tad more insight into the psyche of the Yank's clubhouse than you do......seeing as how he actually plays for the Yankees?


LOL. I could ask you the same question since you just tried to describe what a good Yankee leader was above.

My point is and has been that A-Rod has had struggles here or there since he has been there and they obviously have personal issues. If Jeter was such a great leader, he would realize that it would be in the best interest of the TEAM if he did something. I don't care if he had a bake sale for A-Rod's kids. He has done nothing.
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 18)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Postby Ajax » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:26 am

Lofunzo wrote:
My point is and has been that A-Rod has had struggles here or there since he has been there and they obviously have personal issues. If Jeter was such a great leader, he would realize that it would be in the best interest of the TEAM if he did something. I don't care if he had a bake sale for A-Rod's kids. He has done nothing.


My point is that a leader needs to know when having that bake sale for a fellow player's kids would really make a positive difference for the player and team, and when it won't. Maybe Jeter knows the difference. We'll see.
Ajax
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 188
Joined: 18 Feb 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ukrneal » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:33 am

One of the best 3b ever has some comments on Arod and Jeter too....

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 2322
Joined: 29 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rainman23 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:19 pm

I think I need therapy. Why is it whenever there's a really, really stupid thread, I just can't resist checking back in on it periodically? Perhaps I'm hoping for that happy ending where everybody says, "You know what? Maybe we don't know everything. Maybe Derek Jeter knows more about running his own life than we do. Despite our vast credentials."

That would be cool. Or maybe I'm hoping it will go in the other direction, and I'll see where people are giving Derek stock tips now. Maybe setting up a bathroom schedule for him. Really, it's a shame to waste all of this expertise.

I know, I know. I'll try not to come back again. Just promise me you'll drop me a message when that bathroom thing shows up, ok?
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 937
Joined: 19 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Apollo » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:27 pm

Haha. Points to Rainman for having a little perspective.

This whole argument is pretty stupid. It was an interesting question on page 1, but it's getting kind of pointless. Shall we all take a deep breath and back away?

No? Just me? Okay.
Apollo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 515
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 14 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: IL

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: NZ Eff, OBPlover, Skin Blues and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Apr. 16
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Atlanta at Atlanta
(12:35 pm)
NY Yankees at NY Yankees
(12:35 pm)
Chi Cubs at Chi Cubs
(1:05 pm)
Detroit at Detroit
(1:10 pm)
Cleveland at Cleveland
(3:40 pm)
Washington at Miami
(7:05 pm)
indoors
Seattle at Texas
(7:05 pm)
Kansas City at Houston
(7:08 pm)
Toronto at Minnesota
(7:10 pm)
Boston at Chi White Sox
(8:05 pm)
LA Angels at LA Angels
(8:10 pm)
Oakland at Oakland
(8:10 pm)
San Diego at San Diego
(8:10 pm)
Colorado at Colorado
(10:05 pm)
San Francisco at San Francisco
(10:10 pm)
LA Dodgers at LA Dodgers
(10:15 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact